Calling in Moose

F

fishnut07

Has anyone called in Shiras Moose off a call? Looking for tips, suggestions if their are any.......I,ve seen several videos of Alaskan Moose coming in off calls/grunts, but have yet to see a Shiras Moose hunt with calling.........

I have tryed many times during the rut, but the only responce i ever had was a charge, that probly would of happened anyway.

I have heard of it being done but...also tryed burning those moose incents, felt like a dipshit doing it and a dipshit after two months of no luck.

There is no call that sounds as good as you can do it with your mouth. Get a bull horn to scrape trees and amplify your sound. It's rather easy and shiras moose come in with easily during the rut. You really just need to do the bull grunt and a cow call. The cow call is long and drawn out. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I called in a few bulls on my Utah shiras hunt. Calling worked best to stop scared bulls from running off. Like was mentioned before, you can call with your voice better than most calls. Google "moose sounds/calls" and there are some free examples on the web. Not very hard to imitate.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

Cool!...Thanks for the responses. I'll have to check some stuff out and try listed suggestions.......

I called in my father-in-laws bull from about 400 yards to 30 yards in a sagebrush flat. It is really cool. It was the first day of the second season last year. Dont waste your money on a call just use your mouth and hands.

WW0801

I drew a Wyo moose tag a few years ago and just about lost track of how many bulls I called in w/my voice. The cows really weren't in estrous yet but boy were the bulls doing a lot of traveling smelling cows...and moving on. Pre-rut a cow call w/voice can be deadly!

Another thing I did was whack a tree and scrape up and down it with a fairly large stick. Moose have incredible hearing and will often travel fairly long distance to calls and tree whacking! Some of the bulls I called in would stand out at 200 yards and stare in my direction...looking for a cow. Scraping the nearest tree with a stick often got them fired up and got them to come in closer.

The bull I got I actually called away from a cow he was smelling and shot him at 38 paces. Talk about an adrenaline rush..they are big critters and I didn't have a tree to hide behind!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom