California bighorn

C

Cochise

Has anyone here been drawn to hunt Bighorn sheep via the limited California draw? I hear it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, you can't get drawn again if you ever draw a tag, regardless of whether you fill that tag. The only other way seems to bid big $$$ on the public auction route.

If you've hunted sheep in California, can you tell me what it was like? Is it as tough as hunting Bighorns elsewhere? I ask because the few that are drawn almost always manage to fill their tags and I'm curious how that happens with sheep hunting supposedly such a daunting task. Thanks. Oh, if you've gotten a ram in California, could you post any pics and story?

cochise: in the new big game booklet theres an article about aram taken in the san gorgonios. B.A.C.

I might have screwed up my earlier reply. Anyhow, I got your message and waiting to hear back. Thanks.

I have 1 preference point for sheep in California. I beleive max is 2 ? Does California award the tags to the people with the most points like Colorado does ? If so being a point behind may put you out of the running for many years. Thanks for the help.

Yeah, I've been studying the DFG info. SmoothSam is probably right about being short on points, but I gotta start somewhere. Well, I still like deer the best, but I'm intrigued by the sheep more and more. BTW, what do they taste like? I've never been too crazy about mutton or lambchops. Are Bighorns tasty, any good recipies?

Don't worry about the taste, it ain't a meat hunt! You'll have plenty of time to gather recipes while you wait to draw a tag.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom