Caliber Recommendations for Moose

Joe2Kool

Very Active Member
What calibers are recommended for moose? If any outfitters read this, I'm really interested in their opinion. I'm sure moose have been killed with .243's and .25-06's, but that's probably not a highly recommended caliber.

Personally, i'd go with something ballistically equivalent to a 7mm mag or above. As much or more important though,IMO, would be a wise bullet selection!

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-11 AT 10:11PM (MST)[p]From what I've read, moose are not particularly difficult to kill, if you use an gun that is considered adequate for elk, it will be adequate for moose.

So, starting at about 25-06, 257 Roberts and up (both are on the light side), or .270 and up are plenty adequate.

As mentioned, the -06 is heap big medicine and will work just fine. In Canada, the .303 British has probably killed more moose than -06 (due to the fact that they used the SMLE in the two big wars and it was their main caliber for years). So, you can use a magnum, but tis not needed.

John 14:6

I recently took an outfitted elk hunt and I was surprised when the 7mm Rem Mag was not on the recommended list. I borrowed a 300 Win Mag for the hunt, and have considered purchasing one.

I've also read that elk are more difficult to kill but was looking for other opinions. I thought the 300 WM was more than adequate for both elk and moose, which appears to be the general concensus.

I just harvested a WY moose a couple weeks ago and used the 7mag,There was a couple 300 in camp and they both used 3 shots,I used 1 all were good shots,I used the bearclaw bullet and recovered it just under far side hid,mushroomed perfect.My moose took 2 steps and flipped over backwards,unfortunatly breaking a paddle in half but it can be fixed.Like everyone else it may be more the bullet than the gun

My only experience was on my Wyoming moose killed with a 7 mag. I also used a well constructed bullet Barnes X and shot him straight on at 300 yards. He also went down with one shot, so my conclusion is when hit in the right spot, just about any legal caliber would work. That being said I would probably take my 300 WSM if I ever had another chance.
If you are planning on shooting longer distances at Alaskan Moose, then I would stick with the 30 cal. and up. They are huge animals, but I wouldn't go any bigger than your comfort zone for recoil. You have to hit the right spot regardless of what gun you use.

I've been in on 6 moose kills the last few years. They were shot with the following
300wm @ 40 yards
300WSM @ 400ish yards
3x 325WSM @ 50-100 yards
54cal muzz @ 30 yards

They all ended up dead

I was wrong I used the vital shock,a shirus is big but a yukon is alot bigger,I would use the biggest gun you can shoot well

LAST EDITED ON Oct-29-11 AT 07:17PM (MST)[p]Joe2Kool, Seems like you knew the answer before you asked the question. Anytime someone asks, "what caliber is best", you're going to get near as many opinions as those that answer...and most all of them would be correct in what they're saying. Some points to consider;

I'd much rather shoot a well loaded 30-06 with a good sturdy bullet than a 300 Win Mag with cheap factory loads.

Anybody who has killed something with what they themselves own, it's always going to be great for the job if someone asks, always!

Anyone who thinks that a 7 mm Rem Mag, or equivalent, with a heavier well constructed bullet, is not good elk or moose medicine, must have the little man, short in the pants but way jacked up truck complex. j/k

Why don't you get a nice .300 Win Mag? Good luck on your future hunt!

Joey

Like some of these posts many different opinions. I am a gun nut and have lots of different calibers. I agree with the bullet you use and the shot placement being the most important factor. My wife killed her Idaho moose at 456 yards. I was glad she was shooting my 340 Weatherby. But if I had to choose one gun it would be the 300win. hands down.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-11 AT 05:49PM (MST)[p]I totally understand that shot placement and a good bullet can compensate for "not enough gun." I recently shot an elk with a 300 WM at 350 yards, using Hornady Interbond Superperformance bullets. The shot took out his heart. Literally, we only found half of it while field dressing. A 243 probably would have done the job with that shot placement! Another guy in camp hit one in the rump with a 300 WM. Leg was flailing but he got away. Excellent elk cartridge and bullet didn't compensate for a bad shot.

When I made the deposit on the hunt, the outfitter did not recommend the 7 Mag. I was surprised, so I borrowed a 300. Regarding moose, I was hoping the typical moose hunt didn't have to step up to the 338WM! Based on these posts, it sounds like typical moose camp has 7Mags, 30-06's, and 300 WM.

I'm sure someone out there has killed one with a 243 or 25-06, or maybe something smaller. Probably not a wise choice of caliber!

If I ever get another rifle, it will be a 300! Thanks to all for the feedback.

I've taken 3 Canadian and a Shiras and I've found them to go down easier than elk. I used a 300 Win Mag just as I do elk.

Look at it this way, if a 25-06 is the smallest gun you'd call a real deer rifle then by body weight copmparison a 378 WBY would be about right for moose. I'm not saying you need anything bigger than an 06 if you can shoot, but don't fear being over gunned on moose or elk.

>LAST EDITED ON Oct-29-11
>AT 07:17?PM (MST)

>
>Joe2Kool, Seems like you knew the
>answer before you asked the
>question. Anytime someone asks, "what
>caliber is best", you're going
>to get near as many
>opinions as those that answer...and
>most all of them would
>be correct in what they're
>saying. Some points to consider;
>
>
>I'd much rather shoot a well
>loaded 30-06 with a good
>sturdy bullet than a 300
>Win Mag with cheap factory
>loads.
>
>Anybody who has killed something with
>what they themselves own, it's
>always going to be great
>for the job if someone
>asks, always!
>
>Anyone who thinks that a 7
>mm Rem Mag, or equivalent,
>with a heavier well constructed
>bullet, is not good elk
>or moose medicine, must have
>the little man, short in
>the pants but way jacked
>up truck complex. j/k
>
>Why don't you get a nice
>.300 Win Mag? Good luck
>on your future hunt!
>
>Joey

I have to respectfully disagree on one point. With a 300 vs an 06 you are getting more powder capacity equaling a faster, harder hitting .30 cal bullet. In that regard, a hand loaded 06 will still shoot slower with less velocity than a factory loaded 300. Now if the concern is grouping, then most likely the hand loaded 06 will be more accurate than the factory 300 loads. Just alot of depending factors to consider.
with Moose, id shoot a 300. Will an 06 or 7 kill a Moose, sure. 300 yards and closer IMO. Out beyond that your loosing alot of velocity in those smaller powder packing cartridges on a very thick skinned, heavy muscled animal.
A 200 grain bullet out of a 300 cranking out at around 2900 fps is a good set up. Gives you some opportunity to make a little longer shot if needed.
All in all its up to you as the hunter to make the final call.

dreaminbouthuntin,

I'm talking about the bullet itself, the part that goes down the barrel, across the hillside and tries to kill the animal. If you push a cheap thin jacketed bullet 2-300 FPS faster, it will do you no good if it explodes and comes apart on a rib or shoulder bone and does not penetrate all the way inside and thru the vitals. This has happened many times on deer sized game so should be even more a concern on Moose. That's why i'd pick the Partition, Barns, Accubond loaded '06 load over the cheaply loaded, thin jacketed, factory 300 Winny.

Everything you mention...i agree with. The extra powder capacity and it's capabilities over the '06 is well known as any ballistics chart will point out. Its the pill though, that i'm talking about and you make no reference to the bullet make-up, selection, or it's capabilities and limitations. Seems you're talking apples and i'm talking oranges and on bigger animals and only 2-300 feet per second, i believe bullet construction trumps bullet speed out of the barrel.

Joey

I have killed several moose with a 280 Rem shooting 139gr. hornady no problem. One Alaska-Yukon at about 300yds one shiras at 250 no problem. Killed a couple Canada moose with 270 shooting 140 hornady both one shot. 63inch B&C Alaskan with 7STW shooting 162Hornady,one dead moose.Shot a couple more with 300Wea. shooting 180gr.Sierra's all dead one shot. Son-in -law has shot several with 300 win-mag shooting factory 180 gr. works well. I think moose are not near as tough as an elk just hit them right they go done.

I blasted mine a year ago with 185 grains of Barnes poison out of the end of a .338 Federal (I like the novelty of the .308 platform and the short action). It never traveled much further than two sticks of conduit from where I let the first round fly. The three or so shots were from 300 plus yards.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Oct-31-11 AT 08:53AM (MST)[p]I shot my shiras moose last year at 325 with my 300 Win Mag. It traveled about 10 yards and fell over dead. It was a heart shot with a 200 grain accubond going around 3000 fps.

I think a 30-06 would do just fine with a simarly loaded 180 grain to 200 grain reasonably tough bullet. More than anything it is shot placement. If you have a ballistic caculator the 300 win mag hits the target at 325 yards just as hard as an 06 hits the target just at 100 yards, with basically the same bullet.

I probably could of stalked with in 100 yards of my moose, but I only had about 5-10 minutes of legal shooting light left and I knew I could make a 325 yard shot confidently with him standing broadside. A 300 yard shot is really no big feat on a moose sized critter for somebody that will practice with thier rifle a few times a year (and not at the range from a bench).

More than anything shot placement is the most important factor. Second a well constructed bullet in a reasonably sized caliber. The bigger the gun and the tougher the bullet can make up for a less than perfect shot if you are to hit bone. Moose do have some big bones.

A 7 rem mag, .30-06 will do just fine with good bullets and within a reasonable range. I would not want to shoot one with anything less than a 270. I have a friend who kill his moose with a 264 Win Mag at 80 yards, same result dead moose. Moose are not as tough as elk to kill. But as it has all ready been said, anything that will kill an elk will work on a moose.

I'm not an "outfitter" and I don't play one on TV but here's my opinion.

7mm mag and up would serve you well.
I look at the "what if's" and decide if a cartridge/bullet combo will work under the widest of conditions. Remember, any 100 yard broadside shot can be made with almost any centerfire cartridge but it does not represent real world conditions.

My first choice would be a 7mm(284), 300(308), 325(323) or 338 diameter in one of the mag calibers.

Most important is the bullet selection. Use one designed for penetration or you might never get it into the vitals.

Zeke

I killed a shiras with a 338 win mag and one with a 300 H&H. I killed a Canadian with a 300 win mag.

I'm not an expert, but I killed my shiras last year with a 300 WSM and 180 grain Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Tip. One well-placed shot was all it took. He didn't make it very far.

I killed a Shiras this year and couldn't believe how thick the skin was. I knew it would be thick but it was a lot thicker than I even thought. Definately shoot a well constructed bullet and place it in the right spot.

Any reasonably sized caliber will do, with that being said, I used a 338 EDGE shooting 300 grain bullets, one shot, dead. Same result as most others have said with much smaller calibers. Shot placement and penetration is much more important than the caliber you decide to use.

My moose rifle is a 9.3X62 with 286 grain Partitions at 2440 fps. A lot of power in a 30-06 sized case.

I don't know. It took 4 shots from my .338 Win mag to put my moose down. Of course I was so $%#@&^ excited I missed the first 2 shots, and probably should have missed with the 3rd one as loud as my brother was laughing.The next two went through the ole boiler room and he went down. The 3rd and 4th were 2 inches apart. One would have probably been enough but I was reaching in my pocket for #5 when he tipped over. My take..... shot placement is most important. (knowledge of effective range for your caliber is not a bad idea either)

My gun is smaller than yours...but my moose are all dead.Over the years I have taken 2 Canadian-bull and cow, and two Shiras -bull and cow. Two with a 7mm-08 with Barnes, one with a 270win with Barnes, and one(biggest one) with a 30-30. All one shot and all under 100 yards traveled-shortest with the ole 30-30!!! Absolutely no need for a magnum just hit them where they need to be hit. Probably not the people on this site but I'd bet the average hunter shoots less than 10 rounds a year and couldn't even hit a moose in the kill zone 50% of the time at 200 yards. I am lucky enough that I can walk out my front door and shoot 200 yards and do so 500 plus times a year. People are shocked that anyone could shoot that much????? And I think I need to do more.

In short- pick a rifle, caliber, good bullet, and then practice, practice, practice. A 7mm-08 on target will kill way better than any 300mag that misses the target.....

LAST EDITED ON Nov-08-11 AT 08:42AM (MST)[p]MaineFL,
You've got a few things going for you.
1- You actually shoot your rifles
1a- You know your rifles
2- You know your limits
3- You hunt close, thicker country
4- You use great bullets which turn your rifles into excellent moose medicine.
5- You understand that bullet placement is "king"

None of your cartridge choices would be my first choice.... but I shoot a bit too and have several calibers to choose from. With that said, within the parameters of your moose hunting, I wouldn't feel under gunned with either the 7mm-08 or the 270 Win. providing I was pushing a good bullet down the bore.

Zeke

Don't knock that .303. It is nearly slow enough to see the bullet in flight, but it does WAP what it hits. Dad killed dozens of deer with his(mine). Never killed a moose, but I would think any of the 30 cals would be good.

When they came for the road hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the oppurtunists I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the public land hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one left to say anything!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom