Cali Bow Buck

manny53

Long Time Member
we saw this dude last night he stood still long enough for my son to get a straight on shot at 30yrds i heard the arrow go deep into the buck he hunched up n then bolted we lost him last night but came back in the morning and found him 80 yrds from impact, anybody have that happen before loosing s deer then finding him in the morning, and was the meat still good to eat...?

the arrow entered his chest as you can see but it kept going into his gut, so we follow the smell first thing in the morning n found a magpie on him...?

8003boo_buck_14.jpg

Good for your boy!! Fun
The meat should be just fine.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

How many hours from the shot to finding him and what was the temperature overnight? Did you skin and at least quarter him to check the meat and see what it looked like?

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-14 AT 02:28PM (MST)[p]50's all night, 7pm last knight till 6:30 am, i got the meat cooling right now, it just smelled like gut shot this morning tis all; slight rigor mortise ???????

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-14 AT 02:41PM (MST)[p]Congrats to your son. Meat should be good. Does not look like he has excessive blotting or took any excess hot sun!!!

>LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-14
>AT 02:41?PM (MST)

>
>Congrats to your son. Meat should
>be good. Does not look
>like he has excessive blotting
>or took any excess hot
>sun!!!

I only speak from the experience of doing this very thing in Minnesota in late December with snow on the ground and temps barely hittin double digits. Perfect double lung hit, dead in less than 200 yds gutted him the next morning with "that smell" u speak of....."that smell" was in the back of my throat with the 10 or 12 bites of the 10 or 12 packages I tried b4 throwing the whole thing out! These guys doin this bs on tv should b sited for wantin waste in my opinion. DECOMPOSITION BEGINS WITH THE LAST HEARTBEAT! Let the rest know how he "tastes"....but I already know!

Quickest cheapest easiest thing to do.....slice up some back strap and grill em for dinner tonight b4 u spend any money on sausage or jerky....but I'd recommend a backup plan for dinner!

I'm going to have to go with DW on this one. We dumped an elk (upper lung shot) in late October in Wyoming with snow on the ground and nightime temps in the low 20s. When we found him the next morning the meat already had that tainted smell. The guy who shot him had the same exprice as DW with the butchered and packed meat tasting untolerably off.

Congrats on the hunt with your son though. Great buck, great memories for sure.

You're eatin it many!

You sure the HELL Ain't gonna waste it!

What would GEEZUS Do?:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-14 AT 03:55PM (MST)[p]IMHO there's a good chance the meat is okay, but probably not like one that was taken care of properly ASAP. An elk, on the other hand, can spoil quickly even if it dies in snow, as they are so big the inner meat near the bone can start souring in a short period of time. The quicker you can bone them out or at least quarter them and open the pieces up to expose the bone, the better you are to get cooling under way.

We want a full report on tonight's dinner manny....complete with pics of anyone callin dinosaurs!

>We want a full report on
>tonight's dinner manny....complete with pics
>of anyone callin dinosaurs!

Have u seen the movie "cold mountain"?

The issue I see here is the gut shot part. That stuff will sour meat in a big hurry. The only way to really know would be to try it and see. I hope you got lucky Manny.

Eel

>The issue I see here is
>the gut shot part. That
>stuff will sour meat in
>a big hurry. The only
>way to really know would
>be to try it and
>see. I hope you got
>lucky Manny.
>
>Eel

Trust me eel, if he shot it in the back of the head with a 22 and didn't gut it for 12 hrs, it would taste, like rotten guts smell. "If u plan to eat it don't leave it".....should be the tv hotshots mantra.

well i cut into the back-straps tonight after cooling all day n smells fine...but the rib cage smells bad?

by the way that's a blacktail from the B side of the freeway should i score it...LOL...19 1/2" wide...we see a few buck like this every year but hardly get a standing shot...

Hey Manny, Congrats to your Son for getting it done on a nice Buck.

Too bad that you guys couldn't recover that night but it happens. I took a A-zone buck one late evening with a low neck shot that missed the spine, live and learn, and to my surprise, he ran off for several hundred yards before entering a large thick patch of Oaks that covered a hillside on up over the ridge. As it was soon to be dark at the time i felt no choice but to return in the morning, it wasn't cold out, and did find that nice buck, as luck would have it, easy enough.

That bucks insides though, were fully intact. I gutted him and packed him out on my shoulders, turned out to be a decent piece of meat. I like others here, don't think much of the guts being opened and stewing in the body cavity all night. Hope it turns out OK!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Manny know that I hope your sons deer eats fine. My comments come from my regrets of losein my deer 25yrs ago(yes it still bothers me) But what bothers me even more is the tv hot shots perpetuating this myth. We've all seen em recover in the morning like it's no big deal, but I'll guarantee they didn't take a bite! If I had it to do over again(and I have many times since) I would have grabbed flashlights and a couple buddies 2 hrs after I shot and recovered that deer! It's important to the sport we love and the animals we chase that u let others know the outcome of your current situation, as it will influence their reaction should they find themselves in the same situation! Again congrats to your son on a nice buck!

I've left several overnight throughout the years......never had one that was ruined. However, I do trim all exposed meat away that comes in contact with paunch material.......the acid doesn't bode well with the meat.

BOHNTR )))---------->

DW, your point is well taken, but in this case we don't know the time of death, as Manny said " it just smelled like gut shot this morning tis all; slight rigor mortise ??????? "

If rigor hadn't set in fully, the buck might have only been dead a couple hours.

You're right though. You sound like a good ethical hunter to me.

Eel

I agree eel I am assuming by the pic the shot caught lung and the deer died quickly....80yds? And recovery was 12 hrs later. That's definitely key in these situations, how long they lay dead intact. I know in the deer I lost, double lung hit, dead and intact for 12hrs. The conditions were "ideal"and the paunch was not punctured. Which leaves me with little faith in letting one lay overnight. As I said it bothers me still, and I hope those following this thread will learn from my lose. Hell we don't sleep on those nights anyway, may as well b workin on the recovery.

Gut shot, the meat that is far from the gut area MIGHT be fine but anything close will be un-eatable. IMO

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Well I ate some back strap n had a sour flavor"...the butcher shop said it was bad....jerky I guess....?

Hey Manny?

This the same Son that borrowed your Bronco a few years back?:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

>Well I ate some back strap
>n had a sour flavor"...the
>butcher shop said it was
>bad....jerky I guess....?

The key word was bad.....u want $500 worth of bad jerkey? Got a raptor rehab center or a big cat sanctuary? Places like that will take it. Sorry manny

Toss it, jerky from it won't be any better.

Kinda like smoked salmon out of black salmon that have been in the river too long. Always cracked me up when people kept those nasty bastards and said "it will be good for the smoker". No it won't , it will taste like chit whether you smoke it or fry it or bake or boil it or.............

Bill

People who work for a living are quickly being
overwhelmed by people who vote for a living.

God Ain't gonna let you Waste it Manny!

You'll have to make Jerky & Soup with it!

Each time you take a Bite it'll remind you to never Waste another one of God's Creatures!

If You Don't?

You'll be Tried right here on MM for Waste & Wanton Destruction of Wildlife!:D

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-14 AT 09:44AM (MST)[p]CW, first place i called was a tiger sanct they never returned my call and the wolf sanct never called back either, that's the first time in 40 some odd years of hunting we let something wait over night even though we searched till 11:pm just in the wrong direction ... and those professional hunting shows did have an influence on me but never again...

so I'm disappointed we didn't look a little longer.....?

Bobcat: yes that's the one but it was a toyota

>LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-14
>AT 09:44?AM (MST)

>
>CW, first place i called was
>a tiger sanct they never
>returned my call and the
>wolf sanct never called back
>either, that's the first time
>in 40 some odd years
>of hunting we let something
>wait over night even though
>we searched till 11:pm just
>in the wrong direction ...
>and those professional hunting shows
>did have an influence on
>me but never again...
>
>so I'm disappointed we didn't look
>a little longer.....?
>
>Bobcat: yes that's the one but
>it was a toyota

I feel your pain brother. Lesson learned....pass it on!

>>We want a full report on
>>tonight's dinner manny....complete with pics
>>of anyone callin dinosaurs!
>
>
>Have u seen the movie "cold
>mountain"?

HA HA HA!! That is exactly what I was thinking!!

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Find a guy with lion dogs. Oh wait, you are in Cali - not going to fine one of those there. Give it to Eel - it might make good crab bait. The turtles will love it for sure.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Nice blacktail!!! I think the meat should be just fine. If it sat in the sun the whole following day that might be a different story.

>Nice blacktail!!! I think the meat
>should be just fine.
>If it sat in the
>sun the whole following day
>that might be a different
>story.

Reread the thread beaver, and learn from it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom