Cal Ripkin Jr.

eelgrass

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-07 AT 07:19AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-07 AT 07:04?AM (MST)

Today Cal Ripken will be inducted into the baseball Hall of Fame along with Tony Gwynn. Both are very deserving IMO.

One of Cal Ripkens accomplishments is the fact that he played in a record 2632 consecutive games. I got to thinking about that, so follow along with me for a minute.

Lets say the average baseball game is 3 hours long. Half of that time one team is in the dugout (on break, if you will). Except if he's batting or on base he's sitting there drinking Gatorade and spittin' sunflower seeds. So lets say he actually worked 2 hours per game. 2632 games X 2 hours= 5264 hours worked. The average work day in real life is 8 hours. So 5264 divided by 8= 658 work days.

Now consider that it took him 16 years (from 1982-1998) to accomplish this. That breaks down to 2 hours per day for 162 days a year.(162 games schedule). Or, based on the 8 hour day, about 41 days per year.

He worked 41 days a year for 16 years and he's a hero? I wish my boss saw it that way!

Never mind that he worked in front of adoring fans or never had to be to work before 1:00 pm. And got paid about $3 million per year on average.

Just something to think about. LOL! I was bored this morning.

Eel

I see your point. At least he wasn't a prima donna entitled pro athlete like so many are. I think he also gave a lot back through charity work, wasn't on roids and was a good family man. Those things alone anymore might qualify him for the baseball hall of fame.

HEY eel!!!

YOU EVER ADD UP WHAT LITTLE George HAS MADE???

HOURS PER DOLLARS???

DON'T GET ME STARTED!!!

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

It's not what Bush has made that is the issue but what he has cost. I'm going to follow Nochawk's advice in another thread and believe we will survive it.

Back on subject, how many hours practicing do you think Cal put in, how many hours at the field working out? I think you are way understating the number of hours he put into his job. Yes, he was compenstated for it, but he did something that no other MLB players has done before and will NEVER do again. Why ridicule that? Here is a guy who showed up EVERY day, was a great role model in pro sports, never whined or made outrageous demands, and here you are running him down. Why? Name one player in the game with more class than either Cal Ripken Jr or Tony Gwynn.

PRO

pro, I wasn't putting the guy down. You misunderstood. I said he deserved to be in the Hall of Fame. I just picked his one major league statistic, his consecutive games played streak, and did the math. Don't you see the humor? I actually think he was underpaid compared to a lot of others. You'll get no argument from me on how classy he or Tony Gwynn are.

Eel

>pro, I wasn't putting the guy
>down. You misunderstood. I said
>he deserved to be in
>the Hall of Fame. I
>just picked his one major
>league statistic, his consecutive games
>played streak, and did the
>math. Don't you see the
>humor? I actually think he
>was underpaid compared to a
>lot of others. You'll get
>no argument from me on
>how classy he or Tony
>Gwynn are.
>
>Eel

Fair enough!

PRO

Eel,

You nailed it Squarely on the head with your
original post. God bless these guys.

Work ethic's boy's.......they are a fadeing.........

fyi
lrv

Great additions to the Hall. Last of a dying breed, before free agency when player trades were few, fans wore their team colors proudly, and baseball dominated sports.

Great Contributors, nice post and joke Eel.

I'm not riping Cal Ripkin as baseball is my second passion, however his consecutive record was started while his DAD was his manager. Hell his dad even played Billy Ripkin who I could out hit. To me it is a over rated record, if your not 100% you probably shouldn't be playing.

Hey Eel,

How are those Giants, they look slow and old to me (as predicted, he he he). What about those young Diamondbacks, The Giants are soooooo slow hits fall in right and left, I would hate to be a pitcher on that team.

Rich

How many more guys will get in the HOF playing for the same team for their entire career?
Not to many do that anymore.

I agree, that's another thing that sets Ripken and Gwynn apart. Being with the same team for so long. Now days you gotta be careful who you "hate" because they might end up being on your team. Or the guy you "love" may end up playing for the team you "hate" (like the Dodgers)LOL!

lostinoregon, a major dissapointment this year in SF. They do look old don't they. Barry Zito has been a huge bust so far (7-10) and Matt Cain (3-12). No consistant closer. Plus I think the whole Bonds thing chasing the HR record has been a major distraction. I sure thought they would have done better than they are.

Eel

Eel,

I was also hoping that they would trade at the deadline and try to get younger, but so far nothing. Cain is the best 3 win pitcher in the majors, however Zito can't hit of 86 mph, pretty slow for over 100 million.

Rich

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom