Cache Bull moose

• Thread starter crazybouthuntin
  • Start date
C

crazybouthuntin

I'm new to the site and I've always looked at MM and enjoyed viewing everyone's pictures and stories. I have been envious of all the great animals they have harvested and I've always wished that I could someday have my own animal to post and share a story with everyone! Well now I do! I was lucky enough to draw the one nonresident tag for Cache Bull Moose!!! I was beyond excited when my brother told me that I had drawn a Bull moose tag! My brother and I put in for tags in five different states, but I've never been lucky enough to get a tag until this year. When we found out about the tag, my brother started talking to a few guys on this site while I was wearing google earth out looking over the unit. Without the help of the guys on this site this hunt would have definitely been harder. On the first morning we started out in an area where there had been a big bull spotted by a fellow MM member. We saw one small bull and cow, but I passed on him. My cousin came along with us on the hunt, and he was really pressuring me to shoot that bull because of how close to the road he was. He said it would be a easy pack job. I just laughed and said I'm sure we could do better! Here's the bull
668img_0315.jpg

It came a big snow shortly after that, and we didnt see much till later that evening. I passed on those bulls also. Here are the bulls
1155img_0333.jpg

875img_0334.jpg

We checked out a glassing spot that we were told about and ended up running into an elk hunter who was very nice and shared alot of moose info with us. We exchanged numbers so if he seen any moose or if I seen any elk we could help each other out.
The next day I wanted to hunt in a spot I found on google earth. It was about a half of a mile hike to get to this glassing spot. It was also close to a area where another MM member had said there was a good bull hanging out. Shortly after daylight, I spotted a nice bull about a mile and a half away, and we decided he was big enough to take a closer look at. Here's the glassing spot
9078img_0336.jpg

We looked at our maps and figured out how to get around to the other side of the bull and come in on him that evening. It was going to be about a two mile hike from the other side, but it was going to be easier than crossing the big canyon that was between us. When we took off hiking, after loading up our gear, we saw this bull on our way
9371img_0340.jpg

When we started getting closer to where the bull should be, I heard a cow call out. We stopped and listened for a minute and she was going away from us. I wondered if there was a bull pushing her, so we pushed through the brush quickly but quietly as possible. All of a sudden there stood a bull. I went to look with my binoculars, but he ran up the hill into thick cover. I could hear a bull grunting down the mountain, so we climbed in elevation trying to look down to where the grunts were coming from. It was way to thick with brush, so we started cow moose calling. The brush started CRACKIN and this guy popped up 40 yds from me.
887img_0344.jpg

He was so close I could see the slobbers coming from his mouth. IT WAS ONE OF THE GREATEST HUNTING EXPERINCES I HAVE EVER HAD to have called in a Bull Moose

The bull that was over the mtn was still grunting, so I said help me up the tree. Maybe if I could get higher I could see him, which I could. He was standing about 150 yds with a cow straight down over the hill. I looked him over and decided he was the biggest I had seen, and I would be very happy with him. I had them hand me the remington 300 ultra mag. I took a rest on a pine limb and squeezed the trigger on he's shoulder. He went straight down! I couldn't have been happier with him! It got dark on us as we quartered him up, so we came back the next morning to pack him out. My Bull just did make 40 inches.
It was a 6x7, had a forked brial on the right side and single on the left. I saw 9 bulls before I decided to shoot this one and was more than happy with him. I'm sure there was bigger ones there, but I couldn't turn him down.

5965bull_moose_pic.jpg

2058img_0370.jpg

2389img_0397.jpg

6125img_0408.jpg

1657img_0409.jpg

7789img_0413.jpg

5607img_0349.jpg

I would like to say THANKS to all the Utah MM guys that helped and discussed my Moose hunt with my brother " HILLBILLYNNEVADA". ALL THEIR INFO AND HELP WAS GREATLY APPREAICATED!!! I had a blast on this hunt and look foward to talking hunting with you guys in the future. Thanks again for all the help!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom