CABELAS

A

ANDYMAN (Guest)

HAS ANYONE ELSE HEARD THAT CABELAS IS CONSIDERING UTAH FOR THE NEXT RETAIL STORE LOCATION? I HAVE BEEN TO THE KEARNY, NEBRASKA STORE AND WOULD LIKE TO SEE ONE HERE. BESIDES, SOMONE NEEDS TO GIVE SPORTSMANS WAREHOUSE SOME REAL COMPETITION.

I've heard that from a couple of different sources, but nothing concrete. I heard a couple of possible locations being by the new Wal-Mart in Am. Fork, and on the East side of the Point-of-the-Mountain on the Utah County side.

The mayor from Perry(N. Utah)just returned from a meeting with them a little while ago. There is a big development planned for 1100 South along the interstate at the Brigham City/Perry line. He said that Cabela's won't build their own store and that Perry city would have to pony up the 20-30 million to build the store to give to Cabela's. So far it is a 50/50 chance at them coming to Utah.

I too have heard the rumblings of Cabelas looking to expand in Utah. I first heard from a friend of mine who works in real estate that they had bought property in the N. Ogden-Plain City area and were going to open a location to serve as the warehouse for shipping to the west coast and Alaska. It was also to have a retail store. This was several years ago, right when Sportsmans Warehouse decided to open their Riverdale location. I have also heard the rumor several times since then, and the location is always in the Ogden/Brigham/N. Utah area.
It is too bad they didnt move into UT before the Warehouse started to expand, Cabelas would have made a killing on those of us who were used to choosing between Garts & Kmart for hunting supplies. Now that Sportsmans is here, I dont see how it would make economic sense for Cabelas to move here. Sportsmans Warehouse is like a jr. Cabelas now. You can usually find just about anything you need. Sporting goods selection has come a long way in UT. But...we can still hope for more.

Why in the hell would Perry city have to build the store for Cabelas in order for them to put a store there? Would Perry city get a cut of the take? Hell if Perry city builds me a shop I'll move my business there.

They say that about Wyoming every year but thayhave not come yet.
Michael

Yes, i have heard that they are planning a Utah store. My fiance is on the board for the chamber of commerce, and they have been talking about it for quite a while. Also my friend works at the Provo Sportsman's, and they are gearing up for the impact it will bring. they have known about it for two years now. The location that they have been looking at is on "Traverse Mountain" across from Thanks giving point. I personally emailed Cabelas oabout this to get employment information, and all they told me was "The Utah project has not yet been announced, so they are not accepting applications at this time".

personaly,
I think Ames, Iowa would be a better choice.
Next to or in close proxcimity to 2 major interstate coradors.
lets take a pole, Iowa, or Utah.

I JUST GOT OFF OF THE PHONE WITH THE HEAD OF REALESTATE FOR CABELAS. THEY ARE A CLIENT OF MINE SO I WANTED TO CONFIRM THE RUMORS-- AS OF YET THE HAVE NO PLANS TO PUT A STORE IN UTAH.NOR IN THE NEXT FEW YEARS. THYE HAVE NOT PURCHASED ANY LAND,STRUCK ANY DEALS,NEVER SAID IF YOU BUILD A STORE WE WILL COME, ANY OF THAT. 2 YEARS AGO THEY DID LOOK AT A PLOT IN NORTH UTAH COUNTY,CURRENTLY WHERE A SUPER WALMART IS BEING BUILT. THE CABELAS STORES ARE AWESOME TO SEE ,BUT ARE VERY EXPENSIVE AND THE MARKET HERE IN UTAH IS JUST NOTY ENOUGH TO DO SO, UNLESS ALL THE LITTLE SHOPS GO UNDERANT HTE WAREHOUSE CLOSES 2 STORES,BY THE WAY SPORTSMANS WAREHOUSE IS NO LONGER A JR CABELAS. BY THE END OF NEXT YEAR THEY WILL HAVE A TON OF STORES ALL OVER THE US AND RIGHT NOW EVERY ONE THEY OPEN IS DOING AWESOME. WE SHOULD BE THANKFUL FOR THEM AND BE PROUD THEY STARTED IN OUR BACKYARD.

Let's see, Cabelas can justify building thier expensive stores in podunk places like Owatonna, MN (which aint even close to Minneapolis) or Sidney, NE or the booming metropolis of Mitchell, SD or even Beaver Dam, WI and they can't justify building one along the Wasatch Front? Gimme me a break. Maybe they would prefer a store in Richfield Utah or Salmon Idaho or Ely Nevada. Nope.

The truth is they have so much catalog business in the west they don't have to build expensive stores here. They are making huge profits out west and haven't invested a dime!

Which is why I go to Sportsmans whenever I can. At least my money is supporting our local economy.

WOW, nice reply oakbuck!! I am with you dude! If they for sure aren't coming here to Utah, which by the way, there are more hunters here spending their hard earned dollars, than south Dakota's entire population, then to heck with them! I'll also keep my dollars in my own home state of Utah, and support Sportsman's Warehouse.

It's coming...

I work at a utah county buisiness which is interested in expanding to the northern part of the valley. At a meeting 2 weeks ago, the utah county chamber of commerce guy announced the cabelas store. It will be going in around the point of the mountain near the Traverse Mountain area. Watch out sportsmans...

RE: It's coming...

For the last three years, I would visit monstermuleys daily. I never leave a post. I read the articles, read the always HUMOURUS(spelling ) posts and look at the great pictures. I have only been hunting for three years. The one thing I have learned is "supplies are damn expensive". Sportsmans is a nice store, great products, but, DAMN EXPENSIVE. I almost decided to give up hunting because I almost can't afford it. Then, I decided to start a website. My goal is not to get rich, but to provide myself and other sportsmen with the same high quality supplies found at the superstores at super low prices. I buy direct from the manufactuers, all items are new with warranties. Now, I can buy my stuff at cost, and sell just enough to pay for my hunts. Anyways, I enjoy this site. KEEP IT UP.

REMEMBER......SHOP AT JOES

RE: It's coming...

It's in the Tribune, it must be true! haha

Cabela's, a hunting, fishing and outdoor gear outfitter, is measuring Lehi as a potential store location.
"It's on our radar screen. Some of the people in the top levels of our retail division are from Utah," Cabela's spokesman Joe Arterburn said Friday.
Arterburn wouldn't name names, but did say a company vice president -- "somebody who would be in on the decision-making process" -- is from the Beehive State.
"We're definitely interested in Utah and that particular area, that Salt Lake area," Arterburn said. "The retail division definitely is in an expansion mode and they're starting to look farther and farther out."
The Nebraska-based company was founded in 1961 as a direct-mail company by ##### and Mary Cabela. Today, it employs more than 7,000 people and produces more than 30 catalogs annually, including spring and fall catalogs that have more than 500 pages. The company launched its Web site, http://www.cabelas.com, in 1998.
Its nine retail stores are in Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota and Kansas. A full-line store in Hamburg, Pa., is set to open Sept. 18; another store is planned for Wheeling, W. Va., in 2004.
Utah County economic development director Russ Fotheringham said he and Utah County Commissioner Gary Herbert visited a Cabela's on Aug. 18 to get a feel for the store.
"We're one of maybe three [states] in the West" Cabela's is looking at, Fotheringham said.
Arterburn said Utah is attractive to the company because of its "great outdoors atmosphere and the people there definitely live the Cabela's lifestyle," with an enthusiasm for hunting and fishing.
The state had 178,000 hunters and 424,000 anglers in 2001, according to the Utah portion of the 2001 National Survey of Fishing, Hunting and Wildlife-Associated Recreation.
"They want to locate along a major highway, so you're looking somewhere along the I-15 corridor," Utah County Commissioner Jerry Grover said. Cabela's also has approached Pleasant Grove, Grover said.
Arterburn acknowledged the company is considering other Utah locations.
Lehi's strong customer base and its proximity to the Interstate 15 corridor are among reasons the company would consider that area, Arterburn said.
"[Cabela's stores are] really built with all the amenities for travelers," he said. "They are destinations within themselves. [Customers will] drive many hours, hundreds of miles" to come to a sale. "We've had them camped out a week before some of our annual sales here in Sidney [Neb.]."
That loyalty may come, in part, from amenities the stores provide to people traveling with animals.
"A lot of people travel with horses and mules on their way to hunting trips," Arterburn said, so corrals for exercising the animals and hay for feed may be found at some locations during hunting season.
Stores range from 40,000 to 225,000 square feet. Larger stores include an interior mountain dotted with taxidermy animals indigenous to the area, Arterburn said.
"It's kind of a tourist attraction," Grover said of Cabela's.
If a store is built in Utah, it probably will be a full-line store and not an outlet, Arterburn said. Cabela's doesn't look for a particular mix of neighboring retailers when choosing a location, he said.
"We have a little bit of an advantage because we have a mail-order catalog and we can easily determine where our customers are coming from by ZIP code, so it's logical to build a store to service those loyal customers," he said. "We're a stand-alone sort of store. A lot of development grows out around us," such as lodging to accommodate travelers.
[email protected]

interesting topic,

i would love to see cabelas open a store out west. they are fun to visit and provide an opportunity to compare gear side by side like few locations.

i have wondered why the western states have been overlooked for so long. place one of these on an interstate and they will do fine.

it looks like it may be changing. i heard about a month ago that pro bass shop is opening a store in las vegas.

We just have to have one!!!!!!!!!!!!

>HAS ANYONE ELSE HEARD THAT CABELAS
>IS CONSIDERING UTAH FOR THE
>NEXT RETAIL STORE LOCATION? I
>HAVE BEEN TO THE KEARNY,
>NEBRASKA STORE AND WOULD LIKE
>TO SEE ONE HERE. BESIDES,
>SOMONE NEEDS TO GIVE SPORTSMANS
>WAREHOUSE SOME REAL COMPETITION.

Cabelas rocks i been to the KC one and the one in Mitchell,SD. They are suppose to be putting one in Reno, NV this summer i believe.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-16-04 AT 10:43PM (MST)[p]I heard the Jim and Dickk are selling their stock to their kids and will be getting out of the business in the not to distant future. Seems like everytime they build a new store, the prices in their catalog goes up...

I also heard Cabelas was opeining a store in Kyle, Texas. It's a little town along I-35 between Austin and San Antonio. Down here, Bass Pro Shops are in Dallas and Houston, but they're no Cabela's. Supposedly they'll be opening in 2005. I'll believe it when I see it. Anybody else hear anything about this?

WH

They will announce Cabelas sometime around the first of April and it will be going in across the highway from Thanksgiving Point in Lehi. I have insider info on this one so count on it. I can't wait!!!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-04 AT 10:55AM (MST)[p]LEEHI IOWA, I herd that also... THERE ON 80 JUST WEST OF DES MOINES.
Saw the sign out there in the field.
They must have dropped a small bundle on that billboard and lights.
Its a great location. says it won't open untill Sept.

just talked to my kid. he is on a football recruiting trip in Olathe, Kansas. several NAIA schools are after him pretty serious. when he called he was in the new cabela's in that area. he was pretty impressed and said that it's proximity to the school was a definite plus in their collumn. plus the nascar track is right there too. said if they had a damn mountain there, it'd be almost like heaven.

The Cabela's store in Kansas City is something else. They have one whole room with nothing but full body mounts of mule deer, mostly nontypicals, over 60 and some are huge. Most have descriptions of state, score etc. If anyone passes thru the area is a must stop.
In addidtion they have a mountain with a bunch of N.Am full body mounts and also lots of shoulder mounts of trophies from all over the world.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Well If all you guys who don't think the store in Mitchell South Dakota don't do a lot of business, you are so far wrong it not funny. If you count up the NR hunters who come there just for the pheasant hunting(and who stop at this store and who wouldn't) they probaly out-number the whole state of UT, LOL But you then put it next to Interstate-90 that goes right to the Black Hills and the badlands and you have a winner of a store. But if that was all it took they would have one around Las Vegas because of the amount of cars that travel I-15 (somewhere around 350,000 a weekend) how many would stop and see what there.

But that is why BASSPRO is building one in LAS VEGAS NV and One in LONG BEACH CA.

Cabelas will be sucking hind tit before long in the west if they don't step-up and start building out here too.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom