Cabela's Montana Canvas Outfitter Wall Tent

fuzzyvelvet

Anyone own one of these? What are your thoughts on the quality of the product. I am looking at picking up a used one for a decent price. Thanks.

Fuzzy

Yak, could you elaborate? Will a little rain/snow leak through the roof or just the seams? Does it have to be alot of rain/snow or just a little? Do you use a tarp or a canvas fly?

I used one for about 5 years. It was made of the nylon relite material and leaked for the same reasons a nylon backpacking tent does without seam sealer. It did not take much rain either. I used the old blue tarp over it - problem solved. Get a tarp that is oversized and stake it down with bungie cords to keep it tight and it makes good storage areas alongside your tent.

I had a 10x12. The quality was great, but it was very heavy. If packing the tent in somewhere, you might want to factor that in. Never had it in the rain, so didn't notice any leak problems.

Does Cabelas sell the brand Montana Canvas or is it a Cabelas product? I have used a Montana Canvas wall tent for years now and love it. It did not come from Cabelas, it came from a Montana Canvas dealer, http://montanacanvas.com/ The one I use is a blend with a Canvas roof and the re-lite walls. Never once had a leakage problem and have sat out many rain/snow storms in it. Couldn't be happier with it. Throw in a good wood burning stove and a nice carpet floor and you will be more comfortable than a camp trailer.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

Teryn, it is a cabelas sold product but made by Montana Canvas. I understand the weight issues. Not looking to pack in with it. I had never heard of anyone complaining of leaking until the above two posts so glad to hear thats not a regular thing.

Got snowed on and when snow melted from the stove heat it leaked badly. My dad called Cabelas and complained they sent some sealer we applied as instructed and tested with a hose seemed to work. Couple of dry trips then we hosed off after a trip again major leakage. Bought some more sealer lasted two trips and more leaks. We gave up on the sealer and my brothers wife made us a nylon rain fly, we've been using the rain fly setup for 7 or 8 years no troubles. Cabelas sells a rain fly I would get this over the sealer.

Just the seams leaked. The tarp solves it and protects the tent. Add the stove and it is a great set up. Mine was all relite and weighed less than 20 lbs. An all canvas will be about 60 lbs. I used mine in lots of rain and snow and would not let the seam thing scare you off. I actually upgraded to another Montana Canvas tent.

I have had two of the Montana tents for years, they are great tents i have never had one leak yet.
I use the hell out of em in all types of weather, i do use a tarp on the roof during heavy snows though so the weight doesn't build up.
If there's no mildew on the tent i say go for it, wall tents are awesome.

Thanks for all your input guys. I really appreciate it. There's nothing like getting the opinion of those who own and use the product regularly. Thanks again. I plan on picking the tent up after hearing other's opinions and a lot of research.

Fuzzy

Another option to check out is Davis Tent and Awning. I have the 12x14 with the internal frame and love it. They are out of Denver.

>Another option to check out is
>Davis Tent and Awning.
>I have the 12x14 with
>the internal frame and love
>it. They are out
>of Denver.

I have the same, but 12x16.
Some condinsation on the frame poles. No leaks...
Great tent...

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-11 AT 06:46PM (MST)[p]Fuzz

I have a Cabela's Alaknak II 12X20. It may be in the same price range as a used wall tent and frame. It's been in snow and monsoon downpours and always stays dry. It also is vented to allow condensation to occur outside of the tent. My old wall tent would trap condensation and it would freeze on the inside of the tent at night. When I fired up the stove in the morning, it would rain inside. I really like the Alaknak II and thr sewn in floor keeps the drafts out. $999 plus shipping.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...&Ntt=alaknak&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

2705116.jpg

516117.jpg

3912118.jpg

sagebrush
That looks like a nice setup.
Does it hae a vent for a wood burning stove?
How many years have you been using this setup?

Nice set up sagebrush! I went ahead and bought the walltent I mentioned above. I am very excited to see how it works this year during 2nd season deer and 4th season elk hunts this year in Colorado. Thanks for all your input.

Yak

Sorry I took so long to get back. I'm on an elk hunt with that camp set up. Yes, its vented for a stove and I use one during cold weather. This is my third season with this tent.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom