CA residents that hunt out of State

m_freeman

Want to ask the guys here what State they chose and why. I am wanting to chose a second State to hunt in Deer, Antelope and Elk rifle and archery. Want to limit it to one State to gain preference points and cost of licenses etc. I have been reading the various States info and man that is a lot of info to digest. Oregon is looking good as it provides OTC tags that actually have a decent success rate. I like AZ as it is very close next door and the archery deer tags are OTC with fair success rates for deer and even their decent rifle draws are possible. Nevada although close doesn't look too good as the draw odds are insane for any units that have decent success rates. I have been reading Utah is very bad on getting drawn. I have heard good things about Colorado OTC tags. WYO and MONT would be ideal but can't afford that much gas!

I play the point game in Utah,Ca,AZ,Co,Wyo,then I still put in for NM.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

any suggestions on best way to do that, do you have to buy a license in each State? I am considering AZ at least to start with as you can build points for the AZ Strip. I would think if you are going to try multiple States you would stagger the points so you can always get a good hunt with high points kinda like circling around and hitting each State evry 4th year or two hunts per year every other year. How do you work it?

Dont mean to be a downer but if you want to hunt the strip you should have been playing the game from the beginning,there is a chance to draw it but it should be less than one percent.I know colarado is a long ways away but its perfect for a deer hunter, you can build points for one of the better units but draw a second choice tag every year if you play the odds,and the second choice tag would be better than the best oregon tags that everybody wants,Thats my 2 cents.

If I could only pick one it would be CO or WY because with the point systems you can predict with some degree of accuracy when you will draw and the hunting is great in many units throughout the states. IMO the best unit in OR is not the equal to some of the below average units in these states. I have 5 OR points and will attempt to burn them and never apply there again.

NV is a great option if you can't burn the fuel as there good bucks in almost every unit in the state! Although many of them have very low deer numbers and success rates but I think they are similar to any tag you have a reasonable chance of drawing in AZ.

Bill

If you want to hunt ?out of state?, I wouldn't limit myself to just one state.
The better tags can take anywhere from 3-4 up to 20 years to draw.
Start building points in several states, and have a back up plan.

I put the following advice together for a guy that wanted to start building points and hunting elk out of state, but it will give you an idea of what to do.
----------------------------------------------------------------
?Many of us have very complicated plans for drawing a tag or two each year.
Something basic that a beginner could do would go something like this;

Over the counter tags for rifle and/or archery are available in both Colorado and Idaho, so one of those is your back up plan.

Apply in Montana and at least one other state, Montana allows you to return your tag for a 80% refund, so if you draw Montana AND a better tag, return the Montana and eat the lost 20%, or hunt both states if you have the time/money.
In Montana, apply for the combo tag, it costs about a hundred more, but covers elk, deer and small game.
The other states I would recommend are New Mexico and Wyoming.
Apply for the better ?Limited entry?(Wyoming) or ?Quality/high demand? (New Mexico) tags. Longer odds, but if you get lucky, it will be a great hunt.

To review;
In January, apply for a Limited entry tag in Wyoming, results should be out before the other drawings.

If you don't draw Wyoming,

In March, apply for a Montana combo tag.

In April apply for a New Mexico ?Quality/high demand? tag.

If you draw both the Montana and New Mexico tags, and can't do both hunts, send the Montana tag back for a partial refund.

If you don't draw any of them, look at OTC tags in Idaho (first come, first serve) or Colorado (unlimited number of tags )
-----------------------------------------------------------------

If you want a decent education on the whole process, spend a hundred bucks and subscribe to "The Huntin Fool".

Anaconda

Thanks Anaconda, this whole thing is starting to make sense, you need a back up plan and hedge your bets, this way you always have a decent hunt to look forward to. I just need to start looking at how much the application fees are. I can see where if a guy did this right he could be doing a lot of quality hunts.

My dad, myself and now my wife hunt CO for elk every year. Can pickup over the counter bull tags in many units and can draw cow tags about every other year in many units. Can also draw deer ever other to every third year in many units.

Join the "Hunting Fool" for 1 year. I dont subscribe anymore and I never used there recomendations, but the detailed info on each states application process and other regs is invalubale. All the info is online and available for free but who knows how long it would take to gather the info your looking for especially when your not sure what to look for in the first place.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

>If I could only pick one
>it would be CO or
>WY because with the point
>systems you can predict with
>some degree of accuracy when
>you will draw and the
>hunting is great in many
>units throughout the states. IMO
>the best unit in OR
>is not the equal to
>some of the below average
>units in these states. I
>have 5 OR points and
>will attempt to burn them
>and never apply there again.
>
>
>NV is a great option if
>you can't burn the fuel
>as there good bucks in
>almost every unit in the
>state! Although many of them
>have very low deer numbers
>and success rates but I
>think they are similar to
>any tag you have a
>reasonable chance of drawing in
>AZ.
>
>Bill

I agree with everything you said! +1

Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom