Buying...vortex or swarovski.

H

Heatman75

I'm am going to buy a spotting scope, are the swarovski worth the extra money, I have enough money saved for either one but can't decide on which one to go with. Any advice on what ones you guys have and the pros and cons. Thanks

I just bought the Skyline Vortex. It a good scope and I'm not complaining. I set it side by side with my friend's Swarovski. There is a difference. At long distances, the clarity is just better. You don't notice it just looking through one scope, but you can see it when comparing. It is slight, but it is there. If you can only afford the Vortex, like me, then it is a good scope and will serve you well. They stand behind their product well. However, if money is not an issue, then I would say, go Swarovski. There is nothing like owning the best of the best.

Id get the vortex razor! sweet scope! and its clear! gunnies in orem has one you can look at.....

How many people sell their swaro to "down grade". I did, and it was terrible choice. Buy the swaro and you won't ever need to "upgrade".

I'm thinking no-brainer if you have the money Why would you not buy the best glass you can get.

SWAROVSKI beats VORTEX hands down. IMO

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

The best of the best IMO is the Kowa Prominar 883/884, and you'll save some $$$ compared to Swaro in the meantime. I've had them side by side with Zeiss and Swaro many times.

I decided I am pulling the trigger on the sworovski, where's the best deal to get one, and thanks for the advice on helping me make a decision!

First off, Yes I'm a very Pro Vortex guy. The Razor does weigh more that the ATM HD but Swarovski's is only an 80mm objective lense and the Razor (Vortex) is an 85mm objective lense. That's where you get some of the weight difference. I am one that sold my swaro's to buy Vortex and I don't regret it for one minute. Initially I wasn't so sure but for me personally, I've got way too many other things to spend money on if I can get pretty close to the same quality. As far as the light between the Razor angled and the ATM 80HD. The Razor is brighter side by side. I'm sure it's due to the objective lense that gives it the edge but hey, everybody always talks about having the edge in the first and last 10 minutes of light. It does it's job. Also, consider this, if you have a problem with your optics or you break something, Vortex's turn around time is absolutely unbeatable. If you ship something back to Swarovski, you will be lucky to see it in a couple of months let alone get it back so you can hunt with them. So far, I haven't heard of an instance where it's taken longer than 10 days. And it's usually a lot quicker than that. This is obviously my oppinion. Ask anybody that knows me, I don't buy cheap stuff. I have friends that own Swaros and I think they are too scared to admit that they paid waaaaaaay too much for the spotting scope they owna nd the glasses. They have all looked through mine. It's a pride issue now.:D

It's always an adventure!!!

>The best of the best IMO
>is the Kowa Prominar 883/884,
>and you'll save some $$$
>compared to Swaro in the
>meantime. I've had them
>side by side with Zeiss
>and Swaro many times.

+1! The Kowa is THE best spotter available today bar none! And like said above most of the time you can get the Kowa for less money. Currently I don't see why anyone would choose to get the Swaro over the Kowa. If you want the best of the best get the KOWA! If you want the 2nd or 3rd best then get the Swaro.

Personal pref. You have to do the cost benefits analysis and decide the money, image, quality trade offs. Its pretty subjective. I own a vortex spotter, a nikon spotter, and swarovski binos (I also own some junk by comparison that did well by me compared to when I had nothing that are moot for this discussion). I can't complain a bit about any of the three above and am certainly well pleased with the cost benefits ratio... All three were WELL worth what I paid. No buyers remorse.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-17-11 AT 10:24PM (MST)[p]OK Jim, I should apologize. I have not compared the razor side by side with a Swaro and should not have generalized. I should have said i "down graded" to a Nikon.

I would be interested in the side by side comparison...

I have compared the two of them at length, one of my reps was kind enough to lend me his Razor for a couple of months, I purchased the Swaro 20x60x80HD, I saved the money over time so I was ready to purchase the best, not what was the best value.
I will say that the vortex Razor is a great buy @ 1199.99 here in WI, but I got an even better deal on the swarovaski @ 1999.99 at Cabelas in Owattana MN. It was marked wrong they admitted and told me that it was there mistake so they sold it to me anyway even when I gave them the option not too.
I would have bought the Nikon for 1599.99 or the Leupold HD for 1599.99 before I bought the Vortex for 1599.99, but you can find some great deals on the Vortex's here, if that is the way you are gonna go, PM me and I will give you my contacts here, they will do a Credit Crad transaction over the phone and send it to you. I am not a fan of the dual focal adjustment for hunting, and expecially not vortex's, it is cheaply made.(the focal adjustment, not the rest of it)
To be honest, I was really impressed with the Kowa some of the other guy's mentioned and was gonna buy one but fell into this Swaro. My advice, spend as much as you can, you will be happy with all of them most likely.
booner.

Do a search for some Kowa forums here on MM.

The Kowa Prominar regularly beats Swaro/Zeiss/Leica etc... in side-by-side comparisons. They just aren't very well known in the huntin industry, the are huge in the birding industry.

Grizzly

>Do a search for some Kowa
>forums here on MM.
>
>The Kowa Prominar regularly beats Swaro/Zeiss/Leica
>etc... in side-by-side comparisons.
>They just aren't very well
>known in the huntin industry,
>the are huge in the
>birding industry.
>
>Grizzly

They do look nice and are considerably less. One of the things I am unsure about is the warrenty. You always here great things about Swarovski's warranty. If you were to do something to your Kowa that was your fault would they fix it for little or no money?

I have the Vortex Razor hd and love it. I have buddies with all of the other brands and they are all good optics. I have noticed at low light you can still see well with mine. But my buddy had 65 mm devorsforski's . So thats not comparing apples to apples.

Have a Swaro and love it. However, anything warranty related has been an uphill battle with them. Too much time, money, and nonsense. Buddies that have the Vortex optics have had nothing but impressive experiences with Vortex warranty. Something to consider when you are shelling out some serious money. Who is going to take care of you when push comes to shove? Either way, let us know which direction you go. Just my two bits.

I was told a story just yesterday at cabelas about a fellow that ran his brand new Razor spotter over with his truck.Crushed it and shattered all of the glass. Sent it back to Vortex for warranty repair. They sent him a new one no question asked !!
Now I call that customer service!!! :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom