Burned.

B

bonner

Hello all. I'm not real active on this fourm but have helped others out when I could either here or somewhere else. I'm a mid 30's hunter raised in Cent. OR and moved to ID that plans whole year around Sept. I enjoy the pics, story's and information that people share as it keeps me going through the off seasons.

To the point of my posting. I have been burned out of normal elk camp this year in the smokeys and looking to get out somewhere else to Archery hunt elk. Not sure really where but looking alot in the Island Park area but have held up with all the bear (grizz) talk in that counrty. Is it common to see Grizz day to day? Camps need hot wire fence? Or just need to be aware of possiblity they are in area? Don't know so those that have time there would be great to get info.
I don't know where I'll swapp my tag too but I've always looked at Island Park and would like to hear more about it if possible.
I'm trying to get plan laid down go do a quck and dirty scout when I get off work before deadline to swap tags.

Thanks for your time with reply's and PM's.
Have a good one.

Island Park is a great place to try to hunt. But like you said, the grizzlies are out in full force this year. If you are in a good, thick hunting area you will see grizzly sign and will eventually run into a grizzly. I attempt to hunt island park every year and have a couple of holdups about the area outside of the grizzlies.

- very limited glassing opportunities due to the fact of having so many trees and cover.
- very large area to cover. The animals hide very well in the thick forests.
- quite a few road hunters
- general season sees very large numbers of hunters.

On the bright side, if you get out and hike a few miles in you can find some big animals. But, since it is island park you can find some big grizzlies as well. If it's a risk you're willing to take, then go for it. DEFINITELY have bear spray on you. Although my confidence in the bear spray was lowered after hearing about the two attacks from Thursday. In both cases bear spray was released and the individuals did still get bit a few times.

PM if you have any specific questions.

Josh

Common, no eventual yes.... the bugle dinner bell attracts unwanted attention... but hey on the plus side Alot of opps to fill a wolf tag could occur.

RIP Lil Bro' "Huntnfever"

island park is good. But the bears are a problem. And the wolves as well. The bull numbers for the last few years have declined year to year and are under what the fish and game want for the bulls to cows ratio. Not saying you cant still kill an elk there, because with enough hard work you can, but I would opt for another area personally. Try somewhere like the Pahsimeroi valley northeast of challis. That country is huge and holds lots of elk and deer. Or the Palisades area along the wyoming border, I love that country to and there are lots of elk and fewer wolves and grizzlies than in island park. Both places have great camping spots for hunters. And access.

I have spent a fair amount of time in the island park area hunting elk over the last few years and have had great success. Get off the roads and you'll find elk. Never seen a griz but i am sure they are around. Fire to pushed me from my spot and now i consider this my go to unit, beautiful country and plenty of elk for all of us. Good Luck!

Thanks guys for the replys. Alot of options out there still hacking things over and heading off first of the week for a look at some new country.

So how much time do you have to bow hunt? If you are coming this way for some scouting trips (idaho falls, ashton, island park etc) look me up. I used to bow hunt island park alot, before I got tired of having bears walking thru my spike camps at night. Now I hunt the general seasons and still kill an elk every year. Look me up in the idaho big game record books, I have one bull from island park that is in the top 40 largest killed in this state for bowhunting.
I will gladly help a fellow hunter out to fill his tag. I know pretty much every spot on this side of the state. Island park, know it like the back of my hand. Teton valley, yep, Pine creek, big hole mountains, yep, Heise, that too. Fall creek, tex creek, big elk mountain, Caribou, tin cup, palisdades, diamond creek, I could go on but you get the point. PM me if you head this way for a scouting trip anytime soon and I will get you in the right areas for where you want to hunt.
David.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom