BULLETS FOR ORYX HUNT

L

LawDawg

A HUNTING BUDDY AND I ARE GOING TO N.M. WSMR FOR ORYX IN MARCH.THE QUESTION I HAVE IS: HOW HARD ARE THESE ANIMALS TO PUT DOWN?(I KNOW SHOT PLACEMENT IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST FACTORS)BUT WILL PLAIN VANILLA BULLETS WORK?(MY .300 WIN MAG DRIVES TACKS WITH 180GR. WINCHESTER POWER POINTS)I JUST PICKED UP SOME OF THE NEW XP3'S ALSO IN 180GR.BUT HAVEN'T TRIED THEM OUT YET.JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE IN THE KNOW WOULD SHARE SOME INFO. OR EXPERIENCES JUST IN CASE THE XP3'S DON'T WORK OUT.ANY RESPONSES WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS AND GOOD LUCK TO ALL IN THIS YEARS BIG GAME DRAWS!

Definitely not an authority but I think you want the best bullet possible. I hunted them two years ago. They have very thick skin and your target is the front shoulder. The heart does not lie behind the front shoulder like our deer and elk but between them. Therefore you are shooting through that front shoulder bone. I bought Oryx brand bullets for sentimental sakes. Good luck you will have a blast.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-07 AT 07:45AM (MST)[p]Go with the heaviest bonded bullet you can. I shoot a 300 win mag 180gr. I will be going to the stallion range Feb. 17th and 18th. I have been oryx hunting twice before once with my dad and once with my daughter. Will report back Feb 19th to let ya know how it goes. Where are you hunting?

A good bonded bullet . I killed my oryx shooting a .270 loaded with 150 grain nosler partitions, one shot .Oryx vitals are different than deer and elk , they have big deep bodies and the heart is between the shoulders. They will tell you not to shoot behind the shoulder as in text book big game shots , but to shoot through the shoulder.You guys are in for one super fun hunt of a lifetime...The meat is easily the best table fair , its real close to beef , not gamey at all and they make beautiful mounts....

Hey guys thanks for the info. sounds like I better start shooting the XP3'S & seeing if my rifle likes them or not.Or better yet just the reason to finally set up my reloading bench (after moving) and start rolling my own again.Oh, we'll be hunting in the Rhodes Canyon section.Never been down in that part of N.M. just the north central part 3x's for elk.

Having shot a couple of oryx in Botswana, where these originally came from, I can assure you that a properly placed quality bullet will do the job. You've gotten good advice about shooting through the shoulders. Use a quality bullet of moderate to heavy weight for the caliber and you'll be fine. Nosler Partitions or Accubonds, Hornady Interbonds, Trophy Bondeds or Barnes Triple Shoks are all excellent choices.

One thing I'll caution you on that I seldom see written is to be especially careful of the horns unless you know absolutely 100% sure that your oryx (gemsbok) is dead. They use those horns to defend themselves from lions and leopards in Africa, and they are deadly with them. I nearly got skewered by a big cow I'd shot, and I wasn't all that close to the horns. If you were gored, it'd probably go right through you. I'll never make that mistake again.

I got my oryx on the Stallion Range in 2002. I used a 300 Win Mag with 180 grain Nolser Solid Base. 1 shot kill @ 80 yards. I used the black racing strip on their side as a guide----then right up to hte shoulder. It was a quartering away shot-----bullet took off the top of the heart.

I've use 180 Win PP on elk-----IMO they will work fine on Oryx.

But when in doubt----partitions are never a bad choice. CB

I've also got that stallion range 2/18 hunt. Any tips on where or how to hunt would be appreciated. I'm guessing get up high and glass? Is there a lot of hunters you are going to bump into? Do the bulls hang with the cows this time of year? Like to hear any tips from anyone who has hunted them.

I used 180 Noslers with a 300 Weatherby Mag on mine and it dumped in its tracks. Just make sure of your distance and shot placement. My buddy dumped a bull in his tracks at about 150 yards. The bull got up and ran off and we never caught up to him again....never did find a drop of blood!

Oryx hunting is very similar to antelope hunting. Cover lots of country and do a lot of glassing. You may want to hike to ridgetops off the main roads after noon on opening day and glass from as many high spots as you can. Oryx blend in with the terrain very well and it is amazing what you can find through a good spotting scope! Their white and black markings are sometimes the first thing I spot when glassing.

There is quite a bit of mesquite and tall brush (up to 10' tall in places) where some of the oryx hide once they've been hunted or if the wind picks up. One thing I've noticed is the oryx vanish if the weather gets cold and windy.

You can find bulls in with the cows just about any time of year and if you don't have much experience it can be a challenge telling them apart. Cows often have longer horns than bulls so be prepared to decide whether you'd rather shoot a long horned cow or a shorter horned bull.

On average the NMex oryx hunts are a lot tougher than they once were! They have upped tags significantly on and off the bases the past 10 years and you can't be as picky as you once were or you may go home without punching your tag. Oryx are great eating so take care of the meat! Bring a couple spare tires because we've had 3 flat tires in 2 trips. It is a long ways to a gas station!

I'm looking forward to hunting thema again some day in their native Africa! The way NMex has upped the price of oryx tags it is almost as cheap to save up and do an Africa trip.

Diamondj

Good luck on you upcomming hunt my dad and I will be going on the same hunt and we can't wait. We will both be shooting 7mm mag with 175 trophy bonded frederal premiums.

Muliefanatic

Muliefanatic
Good luck to you also. Maybe we will run into each other. I will be driving a black crew cab dully ford with crome door handels.
Talk to ya later,
Kevin

I would strongly discourage you from using Winchester Power Points! I shot a big bodied mule deer buck two years ago with a 200 grain PP in .338 winchester mag. Complete core seperation and very little penetration at 300 yards. I didnt hit any heavy bones. I use nosler partitions or a similar bullet. Ive heard some good things about the barnes triple shocks too. Just my .10 cents.
ismith

Bullets, fine! Got some.
Elknuts, et cetera!.....
What do they taste like, comparable stateside?
How much may a guy plan on dunking for the N.M. shot?

Seriously, Rumproast

Most all here have good advice. I've been on Stallion, Red, Rhodes and Holloman AFB. I've personally killed 2 cow's a 39+ inch on my once and a lifetime tag and a 30incher on a depredation hunt last year. The first time I used a .300WBY with 180grn partions and the second with a 7mm WSM with Failsafes. Take shooting sticks or pole cat as there is not much to lean on to steady your shot. Take extra gas and spare tires. Take spotting scopes and good glass. A group of adolecent oryx look big next to each other beware! Look for at least 2 1/2 the face length, in horn and you will have a good one. Oryx breed year round so bulls may be with cow's. Shoot through the shoulder even with the "racing" strip that arches up on their stomach. Once hit, keep pumping lead into them as long as they are standing. They have been notorious for soaking lead up and still running. I hear they have huge adrenal glands. Also take a 100Qt cooler or bigger with ice if u go when it's warm, you don't want to lose any of that precious meat! If you want to take pictures, "stash" a disposible camera OFF range and try and load your animal whole after the kill until you leave the range. Unload your oryx and take some pics (off range) then act like Edward Scissor hands and get to work. I'll try and post some pics. I can't get my big one downloaded (too big a file). Anyway:

Here is my 06 depredation cow 250yds (high lung):
45df78c5146c5df1.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom