Building Knives

R

rodsroost

.Thinking about trying to restore some old hunting knives.I would appreciate any helpful instructions and comments on this.I am cutting some old elk antlers for the handles.After they are fitted to the knife,is there some type of stain or oil or compound used on the antler to make it shine?Next question,is there anyway to get older used blades to shine and get rid of the pock marks on the steel?Thanks(ROD)

I am not an expert, but I love my knives and try to keep them in good shape. Takes a little work sometimes, but if you want to depend on them on the mountain care is necessary.

If I was rebuilding a knife, putting on new handles, etc. I would consult a local knifemaker. Most will share ideas.
As far as keeping the knife blades from staining, rusting and spotting, I like to use two different products. "Happich Simichrome Polish", A paste that does a great job. Also,Blue Magic Liquid metal polish works well on certain types of stains on the blades. Keep your knives clean, wash away blood immediately and do not leave knives in leather sheaths after the hunt. Remove them, treat them after cleaning with a good gun oil and store them in a dry place. Sometimes I have to remind myself to get my knives out of my day pack and treat them after hunting season. I carry two or three knives and a diamond sharpening rod I bought from Cabelas that works like a dream. There is nothing a dissappointing as pulling a knife out to gut and skin your Bull and find it is dull and in poor shape. I take care of my knives just as well as I care for my firearms...it pays big dividends!

TM

It would take more information on your part before we could even begin to answer all your questions. such as are the knives hollow ground, flat ground to tell you the best way to remove rust from the blades. those pock marks are probably rust pits and may require the blade being re-ground if very deep to totally remove them. As for the antlers, all you may have to do is clean them real good with a brush and soap and apply a wax after drying. Or it may require more detailed work depending on their condition.
Are your knives full tang, hidden tang for information on attaching the deer horn.
To fully answer your questions would require a lot of typing and there may be another source that would be more useful to you. Go to the web site "The Knife Network" and search though the "forums" and "workshop" sections and you may get your answers there. There are several top knife makers on that forum that helps new makers and guys like you that want to refinish or repair knives as a hobby. It has a search section that covers about any question that has been asked about knives.
If you like knives, you will enjoy that site for it's information on custom and factory knives.

RELH

Thanks guys for the info.I was going through some old boxes I have in storage the other day and found some old knives that my grandpa had been building 45 years ago.Just thought my son and I could try and finish the project that my grandpa and myself started.Thanks again (ROD)

Rod
Since i believe you are in the Sevier County area,my old homested there is an awesome knife maker in Aurora his name is Hyrum Hunter he would give you some great advice

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom