Bucks in 52a?

H

hunter93

I bought a house in Idaho Falls and will be moving there soon. I'd like to get a tag for next season in an area with good deer numbers and some trophy potential. I hunted Unit 39 in 2003 and saw a lot of deer, but nothing I wanted to shoot. This forum makes it sound like that area is getting pounded pretty hard now. I hunted around Swanholm peak. I would go back there, but would like to find somewhere closer to home. Any suggestions? I noticed that a lot of the units close on 10/24 around me and I'd like to hunt a little later than that. I noticed 52a is open until 10/31 and my atlas seems to show a lot of public land, so I thought that might be a good place to start. I'll put in for a controlled hunt and hope to get lucky, but I'd like to start focussing on an area that I can get a tag for every year and begin to learn well. Any suggestions? A unit to start with and a general area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

52A also has a late muzzleloader hunt from 11/10-11/24. It is a very tough unit with very low deer numbers (like 10% success rate).

Trophy potential is there, but work hard or get lucky.

Grizzly

Thanks for the info! I called fish and game today and they told me that the general tag is good for all the general seasons in the state, which I didn't realize. That takes the pressure off. I thought I needed to pick a unit when I got the tag. Would the units north of 52a be any better?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom