Brunton Compact Spotter

bigbull1

Very Active Member
Looking for the right backpack spotter I ended up getting the Brunton Eterna Compact 18-38x 50mm Spotting Scope. I had it down to the compact Leupold Gold Ring which had great glass but did not like the stiffness of the adjustment knob or the zoom., the Nikon ED Compact which was a bit pricey for a second scope and the Brunton.

I attended the SCI convention in Reno last month and got to play with both the Brunton and Leupold. Like most vendors, the Brunton rep was wanting to deal on the last day of the convention rather than pack home inventory. He sold me the spotter for $320, which list for $599 and is available at Sportsmans Warehouse for $499.

I have only used the scope about three times, and compared it with my Swaro HD 80. The are very similar @ 38x except during the first/last 20 min of light. The Brunton is light at 24oz, good eye relief, seems well built and came with a neoprene field cover, good egronomics, comes with a lifetime warranty and has ED glass. Comparing it to my old Nikon Realtree 60mm, the Brunton is much better and rivals the Swarovski up to 40 power.

Ed

Bigbull1, thanks for giving us a report on the compact Brunton spotter. I've had my eye on it and have been waiting for peoples opinions on the thing. 24oz is awesome!!! Salt Lake City's convention is coming up in March and I think I'm gonna try and get the deal that you got. fatrooster.

Mr. fatrooster,

I like the scope alot for a lightweight spotter, and the Brunton rep was great. He offered to give me the Brunton tripod at an extra $70, but I have the exact tripod for my Swaro. Gave me a free hat and a floor model Brunton headlamp for $15. Like the headlamp as well.

Ed

bigbull1, I also have the swarovski 80mm spotting scope and its hard for me to believe that it can be rivaled by the Brunton but if you like it that well and your comparing it to your HD then theres got to be something to it. Wow, that Brunton rep gave you some good deals. I hope I run into him. fatrooster.

fr,

It is not a HD Swaro, but has excellant clarity with the ED glass in a light package. Take a look and let me know your thoughts. Brunton will be back this weekend for the Elk Camp in Reno.

Well I went to the Salt Lake City ISC show and Brunton didn't have a booth. I actually drove from Elko, NV to try and get hooked up on the same deal that you got Bigbull. Oh well, no loss, I had a great time and plan on going back next year. Goodluck with your spotter Bigbull. fatrooster.

FR,

I went to the RMEF Elk Camp in Reno after the SCI show and ended up buying a set of Brunton Eterna 10x25 compacts, also at a discount. They are decent glass but a little hard to keep in focus.

I sure could have bargained for a compact spotter for ya if I had known.

Ruby's have a bunch of snow still? Going to Ely for the Elk Chapter dinner nest week, and plan on doing some shed hunting and using the spotters.

Ed

Ed, we only have about 50% of our normal snow fall in the Rubies this year. I'm hoping that we get some rain or snow to bring our water table up a bit but it doesn't look to promising. I found by best muley shed last year and been looking for the other side for a year. Found it yesturday so I now have my first matching set and my biggest sheds up to this date. Goodluck over in Ely and let me know how that spotter compares. Drew.

Congrats on finding the match after a year looking. How big were they? I would like to find a brown elk shed this year in Ely.

Ed

4602c1017c621990.jpg

Well when I found the first shed last year a buddy and me measured it up and concluded that if the matching side was the same then he would be a mid 170's buck. But the match had a very weak G-4 which was broken off at the base. So he wouldn't score very well. But he is a good looking typical with very deep forks and decent mass. I hope to go out and find his 2006 sheds. Good luck on your Ely elk shed hunt. I've never found an elk shed but look forward to going out and searching for some one day. Talk to ya later. Drew.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom