Browning x bolt, sako 85 or kimber 8400????

B

buck30boomdead

Im looking to buy a new gun ive done a lot of research and narrowed it down to 3 rifles a browning x bolt, the sako 85, or the kimber 8400. Im im looking for input on on all three. Im kinda leaning on the x bolt but not sure? What is the best value? Also Im going to be hunting mosly muleys, elk and black bear. What cal. I was thinking a 300 wsm 270 wsm 325 wsm or a 300 rum. Let me know thanks.

You can't lose on any of the three! I have two Sakos in .243 and 30-06 and they're tack drivers. Of the choices you listed, I would probably go with the 300 WSM since you included elk in the mix.

A couple years ago I was looking for new gun and had it narrowed down to those same 3 in 300 WSM. I ended up with the SAKO. Love the action and its a shooter! I agree, I dont think you can go wrong with any of the 3 though.

I have the sako 85 finlight in 300wsm. Shooting berger 185 vld and get .5 groups at 100yds. Love the feel of the stock and it is super light. I like the small grip because I don't have big hands. Action is super smooth and the trigger breaks like glass. I believe you can adjust the trigger yourself. I bought mine used for $950 shipped. Be glad to share my load data if you get one.

Sako Finlight . But why do people want the RUM ? It will shoot flatter but powder is going up in price too. That is one heck of a powder hungry load. I like 7 MM Mag because you can also buy it in more places. A 7MM Mag sighted in at 300 yards will be easy with a good scope at 500. What more would a guy want?

Pick the rifle brand that you like best. As for caliber, I would go with the 300WSM for the game you mentioned. I would only pick the 300 rum if you are sure the recoil would not be a problem. If any doubt exists, go with the 300WSM and you will enjoy shooting the rifle.

RELH

All three are excellent choices
I have five browning and one sako all are in the WSM or the WSSM
My preference would be the browning stainless stalker in the 300WSM
The browning is in my opinion the best value for what you get and the 300 WSM is flat and fast with enough ump to take down a elk or load it down for antelope
Gallery of guns has it for 950.00 out the door.
If you haven't looked at these guys for guns you need to.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-11 AT 09:27PM (MST)[p]I am biased, I shoot Browning.
Also, I would consider the 300 win. I know, I know, they are a not quite the same ballistic wise as the WSM. But, I don't think the difference is worth it.

Availability of ammo and cost are a big factor IMO. I say this and admit, I do own a few less common calibers. It is sometimes a pain finding factory ammo. This is my opinion (which isn't always worth much)!!!!

Pick the gun you like best. As far as caliber you will need a longer barrel for the 300Rum because it will not burn all the powder in the shorter barrels. You gain nothing unless you can burn all the powder. It is a great caliber though. I have both 300Wsm and 300Rum.My short mag is a very light rifle without a brake and it kicks more than the ultra which is heavier and has a brake.Hope this helps.

I have the Kimber and really love it. High quality, very accurate rifles. Any of your choices will work, but the Kimber is lighter.
Stick with the 300 WSM. Great all around caliber. The 325WSM should be avoided. I am very disappointed with what this caliber can accomplish - in short, nothing you can't do with the 300 WSM.
Bill

I have a browning stainless stalker in 300WSM. It is my favorite rifle out of 5 I own. I love packing it because it is so light.

Sako Browning,Kimber that how I would choose.
"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

All good choices of brand. I have 4 A-Bolts and just bought my first X-Bolt. I cannot believe how sweet this rifle is. I got the Stainless Stalker. I have 3 Hunters and one Medallion. I wish I had all Stalkers. They are all hunting rifles and the wood shows it. I carry Rem Wipes with me for inclement weather to keep the blue from rusting. X-Bolt Stainless Stalker and never look back. All my rifles are sub MOA right from the box.

As for caliber, I would go with the .300 WSM of those listed. I've heard some guys complain about fickle .270 WSM's and trying to find a load that works. I think the .300 RUM is a great caliber if you can handle the recoil. I would suggest you find someone that will let you shoot theirs just to confirm that won't be a problem.

I'm a Browning guy but I just got a Sako 85 in .300 WSM cuz I wanted a detachable mag and didn't like the X-bolt design. I gotta say it's a sweet rifle but don't think you could go wrong with either. The Sako does seem to have a slight edge in the accuracy department and I own 5 Browning Stainless Stalkers...to me its splitting hairs though.

I have the sako 85 in 7mm mag and its really accurate. For me if felt the best. I love the feel of the grip and the way its weighted. Go with that feels the best to you, there all great brands.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom