Brother tagged his 1st Buck

I

IDhunter

My younger brother by a year spent alot of time hunting when we were younger, but quit hunting just out of his teenage years without ever tagging a buck. In the last few years his children have started hunting and resparked the interest for the sport in him. He got a general season tag here in Utah this year and his family and ours spent alot of time together hunting. His son tagged a small buck opening day, and with my wifes work and the kids in school, him and I got to hunt together quit a bit. Last Tuesday he got a shot at what we believed to be a decent buck, he was sure he hit it so we started looking. We found 3 small spots of blood and a small piece of bone where it had been standing, but nothing else, not even when it had went through some grass that was taller than us. We looked for 3 days in the same area and decided he must have just nicked it somewhere. He was back in the area yesterday with his boy when his son spotted a deer. After putting the bino's to it, he said it was a wide 2 point. They are neither one antler hunters so my brother shot it. He could tell he hit it, but it didn't go down. It headed off through the brush and he shot it again, this time it reared over backwards. when they got to where it was, all they found was blood, so they started tracking again. They evetually found the buck, but to thier surprise it was a 4 point. He had hit it through the chest and in the head, so they were surprised it was as tough as it was. He called me since they were a long way from the truck and I went and picked them up and took them back to thier truck. When we were unloading the buck we noticed an older bullet hole in the shoulder. Well amazingly enough it had been shot in the ribs but the bullet glaced off a rib and went between the ribs and the shoulder, chipping off a small piece of bone. It was the buck he had hit 4 days earlier. I told him that buck was meant to be his. It really paid off for him to keep at the same area hoping to find the deer he had hit earlier. It is 26 inches wide. Even though he isn't an antler hunter, he was happy that his 1st buck was a fairly decent one. I have pics I can email someone if they can put them on here, I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom