broadheads

D

dboer

thinking of switching from fixed rocket heads to Grim Reaper expandables, any one have any good or bad information on them?

Rage?? Are you serious?? Stick with fixed blades, alot less problems associated with them.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

If you're going to switch to an expandable, you can't do better than a grim reaper. They fly awesome (better than ANY fixed blade especially at 50 plus yards), the blades open every time (in my experience using them), good design (no o-rings), penetrate, cuts a big hole. I give them my 2 thumbs up.

I'm still shootin Vortex expandables ...Never had a problem with them.

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Hard to beat an Epek Expandable in my opinion they are the closest thing in similarity to a practice tip and I have yet to see a broadhead fly as true as they do especially in longer shots. If not Epek try spitfire expandable they are the next closest thing. I made the switch from fixed to expandables a year ago I only kick myself for not switching sooner. Fixed blades have their place. But for true pin point accuracy expandable is the only way IMO. I would rather have accuracy,, rather than a bullet proof broad head that doesn't fly quite as true. I got alot of opinions from alot of top notch archers then sampled a bunch of broad heads fixed vs expandable it was a no brainer try it for yourself.

I am shooting G5 T3's this year. They have been great. Fantastic accuracy. I put one trough an elk this year. They opened perfect, huge penetration, and the head looked great after.

Grim Reapers, Epek XC3.....I have killed animals with both of them...both great broadheads.

Grim Reaper Hades if I had to shoot a fixed.

Mathews Z7
CX Maxima Hunter 350
Sure Loc Single pin
Epek XC3 Broadheads

I have seen nothing but death from Grim Reapers. I have seen them break off a blade or two but always the same result. Dead deer.

For elk I am pretty set on a fixed blade and choose G5 Montecs. Good luck with whatever you choose! IMO Accuracy and placement are more important than the head itself if it is new and sharp!

If you try an epek xc3 its very important you test the o rings. Because some are stiffer or softer depending on your bow setup. Al in all I love epeks. They fly better than my field points especially at long shots ...

>If you try an epek xc3
>its very important you test
>the o rings. Because some
>are stiffer or softer depending
>on your bow setup. Al
>in all I love epeks.
>They fly better than my
>field points especially at long
>shots ...

They fly better than your field points?....

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Yeah surprised the hell out of me to.... no difference at closer ranges but when I shoot out to 90 they group better.... don't know why

Epek's are freakin noisy in flight. My vote is for grip reapers for sure. I'm contemplating shooting G5 strikers for elk.

We did a test - flight, and penetration before our hunt.

Including grims, G5, rage, spits, jackhammers.

Jackhammers is what I selected. Bull did not make it 40 yards. Really like the jacks now.

I would stick with the fixed blade. I have had bad luck with the expandables, and heard alot of people having problems with them opening. Shot a bull with a spitfire at 11 yards right in the boiler house only one blade opened. The bull went over two miles before we found him. It basically just poked a hole in him like a field tip. I switched to the G5 striker. Shot a bull this year with the G5 and had a complete pass threw. The bull went 50 yards and died. This is just my opinion. You just have to go with what works best for you.

Good Luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom