Breastfeeding in Uniform

NVBighorn

Long Time Member
Breastfeeding in Uniform

What do you think of this debate?
321military.jpg

By Pamela Sitt

Is breast-feeding while in uniform conduct unbecoming to a military mom?

The debate over nursing in public got a new layer recently, when photos taken on an Air Force base began to circulate online. In the series of tasteful professional photos showing beaming moms as they nurse their kids, one jumps out: the photo of two servicewomen with their uniform shirts unbuttoned and hiked up to breast-feed.

"A lot of people are saying it's a disgrace to the uniform. They're comparing it to urinating and defecating [while in uniform]," says Crystal Scott, a military spouse who started Mom2Mom in January as a breast-feeding support group for military moms and "anyone related to the base" at Fairchild AFB outside Spokane, Wash. "It's extremely upsetting. Defecating in public is illegal. Breast-feeding is not."

It was Scott's idea to ask photographer Brynja Sigurdardottir to take photos of real-life breast-feeding moms to create posters for National Breastfeeding Awareness Month in August. One of the moms photographed in uniform, Terran Echegoyen-McCabe, breast-feeds her 10-month-old twin girls on her lunch breaks during drill weekends as a member of the Air National Guard.

"I have breast-fed in our lobby, in my car, in the park ... and I pump, usually in the locker room," she says. "I'm proud to be wearing a uniform while breast-feeding. I'm proud of the photo and I hope it encourages other women to know they can breast-feed whether they're active duty, guard or civilian."

She said she's surprised by the reaction to the photos, which also feature her friend Christina Luna, because it never occurred to her that breast-feeding in uniform would cause such a stir.

"There isn't a policy saying we can or cannot breast-feed in uniform," Echegoyen-McCabe says. "I think it's something that every military mom who is breast-feeding has done. ... I think we do need to be able to breast-feed in uniform and be protected."

The Air Force has no policy specifically addressing breast-feeding in uniform, according to Air Force spokesperson Captain Rose Richeson, who added, "Airmen should be mindful of their dress and appearance and present a professional image at all times while in uniform."

4833military2.jpg

Terran Echegoyen-McCabe, left, and Christina Luna breast-feed their children. Terran says she's proud of the photo, though she didn't expect it to get such a reaction.

Robyn Roche-Paull has been advocating for such a policy since she left the U.S. Navy 15 years ago. Her challenges in breast-feeding her son while on active duty ? she recalls her "flaming red face" upon being reprimanded for nursing in a medical waiting room ? prompted her to write a book called "Breastfeeding in Combat Boots" as a resource for military moms. She is now an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant who remains close to the military through her active-duty husband and her blog for military moms.

"If you follow the comments on my blog, a lot of the comments are that the breast-feeding mothers are the ones who need to be covered up. Nobody sees anything wrong with bottle feeding mothers or fathers," she says. "Asking mothers to feed a baby by bottle when they are together, simply because they are in uniform, can both affect the mom's milk supply and her willingness to keep breast-feeding or stay in the military. It's simply one more barrier they have to face."

The criticism of the photo goes beyond the usual nursing-in-public debate, though. One commenter on Roche-Paull?s website who identified herself as a retired captain in the Marine Corps said she advocated for breast-feeding moms in the military and now, as a civilian, she nurses freely on base. However, she writes:

?I would never nurse in uniform. I took my child to the bathroom or a private office when her nanny brought her to me ?. Not because I was ashamed of nursing, nor of being a mother. All the guys knew I pumped. The military is not a civilian job. We go to combat and we make life or death decisions, and not just for ourselves but for those we lead. The same reason I would never nurse in uniform is the same reason I do not chew gum, or walk and talk on my cell phone, or even run into the store in my utility uniform. ... We are warfighting professionals. Women before us have worked too hard to earn and retain the respect of their male peers. I don't want my Marines to look at me any other way than as a Marine. When I am asking them to fly into combat with me and do a dangerous mission, I do not want them to have the mental image of a babe at my breast. I want them to only see me as a Marine. Let's be a realistic folks. We give up many freedoms being in the military?Breastfeeding in front of my fellow Marines was one of them."

Another commenter on the blog replies:

?There is N-O-T-H-I-N-G more authoritative than a strong mother standing tall breastfeeding as she barks orders. It's AWESOME that you've worked so hard promote breastfeeding, but I think you *might* be selling yourself short.?

The women in the photo have given some thought to the whole question of military versus maternal duties. To those who believe breast-feeding in uniform undermines the authority of a female officer, Echegoyen-McCabe says:

"I guess my thoughts are, if you don't want to breast-feed in your uniform, you don't have to. But you should have respect for those who do. ... If anything, it should make people look at you as someone who is able to multitask."

RE: Breastfeeding in Uniform

My thoughts are "nom nom nom..."

Surely no Moderator would nuke a post about our military men and women.

I think you're still in to the MILF's!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

And one more thing NVB!

Are you Multi-Tasking as you're GAWKIN at these Military Babes?

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

>And one more thing NVB!
>
>Are you Multi-Tasking as you're GAWKIN
>at these Military Babes?

I was wondering the same thing Bess, If that's the case than NVB is doing some pretty good one handed typing!

Exactly WHO finds this so offensive ?
This is more media bull chit. They never once mention who is complaining, not once.
Have there really been any complaints ? Is there really any controversy ?
Or is this whole story made up.

Call me an old school sexist pig.

Women ain't men no matter how hard society is trying to make it so.
Sure they contribute in important ways to the military and first responder services, but they ain't men now and they ain't never gonna be.

Daniel Tosh kind of gets it...

:)

What I think is that we,and our country, have much bigger issues to worry and debate over than something like this.

It's kinda like that bill that Senator Leland Yee just authored making gun conversion parts illegal. I called his office to oppose the bill, and when his staffer asked if I'd care to offer a comment about why I oppose the bill, I started by stating that it infringes upon many thousands of law abiding gun owners, but then I added "Because Leland Yee and his colleagues have totally F'ed up this state with their wasteful spending and mismanagement and he should be spending his time fixing what he F'ed up instead of attacking gun owners".

I view this kinda the same way, we have bigger things to worry about than military moms breast feeding. I'd simply thank them for their service and move on.

I'd like to see what the late George S. Patton would say about it.

If he could see society today he'd be spinning in his grave...

22673568.jpg

I am embarrassed, that as a nation, we put suckling mothers between able bodied young men and enemies of this country....

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

If they are able to perform their duties then I see no problem with it.

Eldorado

>I am embarrassed, that as a
>nation, we put suckling mothers
>between able bodied young men
>and enemies of this country....
>
>
>
>JB
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I believe that if they can physically and mentally perform the tasks put before them that there is absolutely no problem with them serving. It's not like anyone forced them to.

The only problem I have is deciding which one is better looking.

Don't see any issue if they breast feed. Seems natural to me.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

like I said...........but if you girls feel comfortable hiding behind a woman's skirt, have at it.

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-12 AT 02:04PM (MST)[p]Feleno-At first the babies,but after some thought,I'm also jealous of the other twins,too!My wife's looked like those when we first got married,but that was a long,long time ago...
And by the way,I've met some women who scared me a lot more than most guys!Just sayin'...

don't see a thing wrong with them doing it.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

THEY DONT BELONG . WHAT IF YOU REALLY NEEDED SOME ONE TO SAVE YOU AND YOUR FAMILEY IS THAT WHO YOU WANT,,AGINST A KICK ASS REAL ARMY MAN?? WHAT A JOKE,,,GO HOME RAISE YOU KIDS, GET SOMEONE ELSE TO PAY FOR YOU ED,,,

Finally some guys show up who know how to appreciate a good picture. I honestly don't give two hoots in hell about what you think of breastfeeding in uniform. This thread was about the ##### man, the #####.

I think the brunette is way cuter but we don't get a good "feel" for her feeding ability in the pictures.

I agree NV the brunette is way better lookin but she needs to position her ##### better

>THEY DONT BELONG . WHAT IF
>YOU REALLY NEEDED SOME ONE
>TO SAVE YOU AND
>YOUR FAMILEY IS THAT WHO
>YOU WANT,,AGINST A KICK ASS
>REAL ARMY MAN?? WHAT A
>JOKE,,,GO HOME RAISE YOU KIDS,
>GET SOMEONE ELSE TO PAY
>FOR YOU ED,,,

If it isn't too late, maybe you should join for the education too.

>Call me an old school sexist
>pig.
>
>Women ain't men no matter how
>hard society is trying to
>make it so.
>Sure they contribute in important ways
>to the military and first
>responder services, but they ain't
>men now and they ain't
>never gonna be.
>
>Daniel Tosh kind of gets it...
>
>
>:)
>
>

You are right, women will never be men or vice versa. Women have far superior skill sets in some areas than men. They are better communicators, multi-taskers, and at performing precision activities. I can think of several jobs in the military where they would outperform men. I'm sure men outperform women in direct combat positions, but most military jobs are not really on the front lines.

Those women who are fighting on the front lines paid their dues just like the rest of the men. And in fact, I'd probably want a female soldier fighting with me than most of the fat ass keyboard warriors in here.

Well, when I was in the Navy, you were almost always forced to "breast feed" in uniform.......unless you kept some "civvies" in a locker off the ship.

This is a test to see how many "PI sailors" get the joke.

"I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and
sh!t a better argument than that!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom