Bratwurst making

DeerMadness

Long Time Member
One meat I haven't prepared is Bratwurst. I'm buying a Hank for casings, 4 different flavorings and make different Brats through the summer which will include gifts for family. PS Seasonings have about 30 flavors. Has anyone dabbled much in Bratwurst ?

I bought a Hank myself but have not yet played with a recipe yet. Look forward to any insight
They're done. I had a bad experience with the Hog Casings. I didn't use them- just returned. They were all twisted up. So I went to Cabelas and bought Collagen casings. Much better !
This is 10 lbs.
20240604_152328.jpg
20240604_152323.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a Hank myself but have not yet played with a recipe yet. Look forward to any insight
Make dang sure you have the correct tube for the casings you buy. Different Manufacturers have different size tubes, and so on with some casings.

I can't tell ya how many pounds of brats we've done over the years. We typically buy remix flavors then add a few of our own twist like. Replace water with a stout beer. Add onions and or peppers to the meat mix. Sometimes various cheese. The beer is our favorite though.

Last edited:
I can't tell ya how many pounds of brats we've done over the years. We typically buy remix flavors then add a few of our own twist like. Replace water with a stout beer. Add onions and or peppers to the meat mix. Sometimes various cheese. The beer is out favorite though.
How about a recipe?

I can't tell ya how many pounds of brats we've done over the years. We typically buy remix flavors then add a few of our own twist like. Replace water with a stout beer. Add onions and or peppers to the meat mix. Sometimes various cheese. The beer is our favorite though.
I would have no idea to come up with recipes though.

We typically use premixes. These are our 2 favorites. When we left Iowa 16 years ago I stopped in at the local Fareway food market and bought enough brat mix for over 500# of brats. Down to our last 3 packages that will make 150# of brats. Best dam brat season out there. For every 50# of meat we add at least 2 cans of dark beer and a couple of chopper onions and some pepper flakes. Or beer, onion, and jalapeño peppers. Those suckers will wake your ass up.

Recently we have gone more with the brat burger than stuffing cases. Lot simpler and if we want breakfast sausage or Italian sausage we just toss in some additional seasons. For Italian we add Italian seasoning (oregano, thyme, rosemary, basil, marjoram) ,sage, salt, pepper, garlic. Figuring onion is already in the mix. Red pepper flakes to your desired heat.

Breakfast sausage from brat burger is garlic, light brown sugar, more sage (unless it's a NW Colorado Muley then no added sage), thyme, salt and pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, and smoked paprika.

We've done it long enough we don't measure we just start adding.

IMG_20240604_205103145_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240604_205114016~2.jpg

We typically use premixes. These are our 2 favorites. When we left Iowa 16 years ago I stopped in at the local Fareway food market and bought enough brat mix for over 500# of brats. Down to our last 3 packages that will make 150# of brats. Best dam brat season out there. For every 50# of meat we add at least 2 cans of dark beer and a couple of chopper onions and some pepper flakes. Or beer, onion, and jalapeño peppers. Those suckers will wake your ass up.

Recently we have gone more with the brat burger than stuffing cases. Lot simpler and if we want breakfast sausage or Italian sausage we just toss in some additional seasons. For Italian we add Italian seasoning (oregano, thyme, rosemary, basil, marjoram) ,sage, salt, pepper, garlic. Figuring onion is already in the mix. Red pepper flakes to your desired heat.

Breakfast sausage from brat burger is garlic, light brown sugar, more sage (unless it's a NW Colorado Muley then no added sage), thyme, salt and pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, and smoked paprika.

We've done it long enough we don't measure we just start adding.

View attachment 147760

View attachment 147762
Thanks, I wonder if Honey Powder, Mango Puree and Habanero Puree would work well with that stuff.

I don't know, but perhaps if you call Miesfeld's in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, they can point you in the right direction. Last time I was in there, they were selling 27 varieties of brats. They have helped Sheboygan win the "Bratwurst Capital of the World" title over the years.

I don't know, but perhaps if you call Miesfeld's in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, they can point you in the right direction. Last time I was in there, they were selling 27 varieties of brats. They have helped Sheboygan win the "Bratwurst Capital of the World" title over the years.
Thanks for the tip. My buddy had advised me to do the same with one of our butchers but I wasn’t confident they’d be willing to share their secrets.

One other thing I noticed when I ate brats in Sheboygan is that the chef used "Sheboygan Hard Rolls" rather than what grocery stores call "Brat Buns". Unlike grocery store buns, the rolls added a lot of flavor. The cook laid the buns on a grill toward the end to warm them up and brown them slightly. Overall, I thought they were the best brat sandwiches I'd ever had. There are recipes for the rolls online.

One other thing I noticed when I ate brats in Sheboygan is that the chef used "Sheboygan Hard Rolls" rather than what grocery stores call "Brat Buns". Unlike grocery store buns, the rolls added a lot of flavor. The cook laid the buns on a grill toward the end to warm them up and brown them slightly. Overall, I thought they were the best brat sandwiches I'd ever had. There are recipes for the rolls online.
I'm going to make some then. I was afraid to make bread , but after making a few loaves it isn't a big deal.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom