Bought a Springbar Tent

tracker12

Very Active Member
I finally pulled the plug and bought a Sprigbar Travler today. I have been looking for a new tent for awhile now an after all the great reviews decided on the Springbar. Nice to be able to buy something made in America. Should be just right size for my partner and I on our antelope hunt this fall and hopefully manny hunts in the future.

Good choice, I've got one I've used for over 20 years, still going strong. Only had minor repairs, and Kirkams service is first rate when needed. What size is it? I've got 9 tents, and it's my favorite. BacDoc

Great tent. I too am a very happy springbar owner...
------------------------------------------------------
"Yeah, I'll shoot him"

LAST EDITED ON May-11-10 AT 08:48PM (MST)[p]I have three spring bars. The 8 man, the 6 man and the 3 man. They are just great tents. I plan to give one to each of my kids. ( I have three).

I shouldn't tell this story, but I will. For two of the tents I paid full price, but here's the story of how I bought the 6 man tent.

My wife and went out one Saturday "garage sale ing".

We stopped by a lady that had a bunch of stuff, and at very fair prices, but I saw nothing I wanted. She kept telling me I had to buy something, but I kept saying I really didn't need anything she had. She finally ask if I liked tools and I said I did, so she took me into her garage and showed me a bunch of tools, but again I really didn't see anything I wanted.

I did notice, high on a shelf, a light green canvas bag that I knew immediately was a Springbar tent. I ask her if it was for sale and she said yes. I ask if I could look at it, so we got it down and took it out in the yard and I unrolled it and it looked like it was bran new. I ask her what she wanted for it and she said how about $20.00! Since I knew I was already stealing it, I calmly said if you'll take $10.00 you got a deal. Sold said the Lady! And I left with an almost new Springbar for a 10 dollar bill!

I've made lots of great buys at garage sales, but that has to be my best.

Happy Camping, they are the best tent made. BB

I'm like Joey, whats a spring bar tent? I've got a Kodiac tent and it has a spring bar to keep the walls up, is that the same thing?
Thanks
Brownie

......already knew that you were stealing it, so you low balled her another $10.00 friggen dollars!

Hope ya enjoy the tent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A "Spring Bar" Tent is a tent made by the Kirkhams out of Salt Lake City. They are a canvas material tent with a unique outside frame with spring bars across the ends of the tent and a single main aluminum pole frame on the top and sides. They are very fast to put up, taking only minutes for a 6 man tent. The have a very heavy coated floor and are the best tent I have ever slept in. Oh and if you take care of them they last forever!

And Shame on you Billy!!!!
Stealing from a helpless woman and then bragging about it online....

$10 for a Spring Bar.......

The Kodiak is a Spring Bar copy. I think the patent ran out on spring bar, and now there are some others out there that look the same. I plan to buy a Kodiak or two this summer.

I will give you $20 for it! That way you get some use and double your money!

Springbars are great! We used them a lot as boy scouts and they held up better than anything else we ever tried! And the ward is still ising the same ones.

You find out who your friends are when you see who shows up to help pack your bull out!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Really I haven't had a good nights sleep since I "jewed" that lady down.

Nick I go to garage sales for the fun of it. It's a time I never pay what they ask without first cutting it in half. If they aay no and its a good deal then I will pay the price they ask. She was giving that tent away, as she most of the stuff she was salling. I just did her a favor by taking it off her hands.

This really ought to get you mad Nick. One time I went to a garage sale and saw 10 pretty nice chairs the lady was asking $10.00 for the bunch. It was a great buy, but I offered her $1.00. She told me that was too cheap but if they didn't sale she would call me as I lived just around the corner from her.

Well the chairs didn't sell and so I went over to pick them up and she said she wanted to give them to me. I refused and paid her the dollar I offered. I told her I wanted to be able to tell people what a great buy I got on the chairs, but if she gave them to me than I couldn't say that.

I love to make a great buy at a garage sale. And like I aaid, the Springbar for $10.00 is my best buy yet.

Had I paid her full price the story would not have even been worth telling. And that $10.00 didn't make me or break her!

Have a good one. BB

The Kodiak is a "knock off" that I believe is made in China. Spring Bar makes a high quality tent with a great warranty. I am going to purchase the 10 X 14 Vagabond when I am in town next week. Can't wait to try it out at Powell in June with the family! The Kodiak's seem like decent tents, but I'll stick with a product that is made here in the states, especially considering the Vagabond is $50 cheaper than the Kodiak.

I ended up buying the Traveler 5 which is a 10x10. That should be great for two guys. My buddy and I are heading out west this fall and were going to make quite a few stops along the way for just a night or two. Not long enough to set up a Outfitter tent. I condisered the Kodiak but decided to give UT my money instead of China.

Tent came in yesterday and I got it set up today. Setup was a breeze and took me maybe 10 minutes. Tent is really quality and reminds me of my old colman canvas tent just one that is on steroids. The way it goes up is is ver slick. Can't wait to try it out this weekend on a fly fishing outing.

They have a rubberized floor in them so you can't put a burning stove in them. I have however used my Kerosene Stove in mine a few times when it is really cold and it has worked pretty well to keep us warm. But you have to be very careful about CO2 buildup on something like that. We always cracked a window or two to be sure we woke up in the morning.
I also hang a very tight rope from one end of the spring bar to the other and hang my Coleman lantern in there for light. When I have room on my trailer I also sometimes throw in a couple of 4X8 plywood sheets that I put under the floor and then I use a cot to sleep on, and have a camp chair inside. I is a little more sturdy that way.
Anyway, I love mine for camping.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom