Bored-Join Us @ Fish Lake, Utah

2lumpy

Long Time Member
Your All Invited - Mark January 24, 2015 down for a day trip to Fish Lake.

Thanks for letting us promote fishing conservation Founder!

3430perchtournament.jpg

DC

The reason for the perch removal effort is the tremendous over population of perch are having a negative impact on the other species of fish in the lake, primarily the lake trout. Secondly, the over population has stunted the size and growth of the perch themselves, the biologists believe removing as many perch as possible will help the trout as well as improve the catch size of the perch, which are a very tasty fish, and quite desirable as a meat fish, if they are able to grow to a decent size.

BigJohn, this is an ice fishing tournament, the safety of the ice is a concern, for sure. If we have no ice or the ice is deemed unsafe by the UDWR, we will postpone the tourny until such time the ice is safe. We are proceeding as planned at the present time but, your right, it's a funky year up there, so we'll be proceeding with caution.

By the way, there is no charge to enter the tournament, just come up, register and go to catching perch.

We're hoping for a lot of 4 man/woman teams and a lot of families, with youngster, as well, we'll try to make it a good experience for everybody.

A Utah fishing license is required.

DC

Thats a good story Bessy . Thanks for thinking about us.Last week I heard there is open water from the lodge north on the lake. Hopefully in the next few weeks it freezes over completely.
2lumpy didn't the dwr net 40,000 out of the lake last spring. But I think there goal was 50,000. I know its a big body of water , but for the average person its hard to imagine that many fish in a lake that need to be removed. They are stocking Kokanee salmon in the lake this spring?
We are going to put it on the calender and try to make it up !

37, 000 give or take BJ.

Way, way, way to many perch still left in Fish Lake. Going to take a lot of effort to get them under control. Sportsmen need to remove as many as possible, every time they get on the Lake. It's over run with perch and getting worse,

Yes, Kokanee asap.

Hope to see you. Spread the word down your way, we'd sure appreciate everyone coming up for the day.

DC

Sounds like fun, DC. I hope that the ice is good to go and you guys remove all the perch you need to. Take care.

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Tks Steve, yeah, we'll be keeping a close eye on the ice safety. We're not going to get any body hurt up there, they'll move the date if there's any danger.

Wish you, Canyon and Gran-pa were closer! Fun times!

DC

Any reports on the Ice?
Ice fishing for perch was a favorite pastime for my Dad and me growing up. He is 81 now and doesn't get to go ice fishing lately since we live a ways apart. This sounds fun and am planning to drive down and pick him up in Fayette for this. Since the overall adventure will span more than one day, a good ice report would help me solidify the plans to make this happen.

The UDWR fisheries biologists are monitoring the ice conditions at the lake. It's been a odd year and the ice has been slow to form this year. As of Sunday there was enough ice to support ice fisherman on the south and the north ends of the lake, with open water in the center of the lake. They tell me the ice on the north and south was between 4 and 6 inches thick.

We know folks want to know about the ice conditions ahead of time, so they can make plans, one way or the other. We can't predict the weather so we're unable to know how things will look, this time next week. At this time, the Tournament is still scheduled to happen January 24, we will notify folks, here on the MM forum, if a postponement decision is made, by the UDWR folks. We certainly do not want see anyone hurt or anyone go through the ice. In the end, participants need to be responsible for their own safety and make sure they take what ever precautions they need make, to stay safe.

DC

Ice is growing. Still thin on the north end, but improving. 73 vehicles in the Lake Shore parking lot on Saturday. 150-200 people fishing there on Sat. Other fishing in other location along the west side of the lake. Everyone had fish, most were targeting splake and/or rainbow. Those after perch were pounding them, in closer to shore. Afternoon temp was hot, tee shirts were seen everywhere.

A few 4 wheelers were running around, I believe all the ice is still to marginal for wheelers but that's just me.

The sign for "Caution, Thin Ice" was still out on Sat.

I'll run up Wed. this week, and give you another ice condition report BJ.

DC

Ok 2lumpy sounds like its going to be a fun day. We will head up on Friday night. I will be waiting for your knock at the cabin door to say hello. ;-)

LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-15 AT 11:25PM (MST)[p]Dog-gone BJ, are we really going to finally get to meet? And all I had to do was invite 300 people to a party at Fish Lake to get it done. Had I only known earlier! ;-)

Can't wait to meet you.

Come on down to the Lake Side Marina around 7:00 a.m. and I'll load you up with a hand full of registration forms and a clip board and you can help me get the folks out on the ice! After we get everyone settled in, smack'en the perch, I'll cook you up a perch omelet! :p

Here's a pre-registration form you can print and sign, to give you a quicker start. Feel free to share it far and wide, if you run into others coming up from down your way.

Also, if you know of anybody down there needing Dedicated Hunter Hours, we really do need help for the day, this will be pretty easy work duty to get a few hours on the books. We've been added to the DH approved projects list. (they should give every fisherman DH hours, this is, after all, a pretty significant conservation project! :)

See ya Sat.

6254perchtournparticipationform.jpg

DC

I'm excited. I'll be there Saturday.

2lumpy, If I recognize you I will say hello; afterall, we might be distantly related.

You best look me over per close before you decide if you want to check our genealogy. ;-)

See you Saturday heartshot.

DC

We have to ride snowmobiles into the cabin. My truck will be parked in the snow past the road close gate, We will be on snowmobiles for the tourney . Hopefully we don't drop one threw the ice.
2lumpy that's why I said hope to hear you knock on the door.Because you can only get to us on a snow machine. Hope to see you guys there. Look for a old fart on a black turbo Polaris snowmobile. Hopefully on top of the ice ;-)

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom