Boots: 400 grms enough for cold?

fuzzyvelvet

I have been doing some research into a new pair of boots. Seems like the Cabelas Perfekt and the Danner Grand Slam seem to have pretty high reviews. My question is, I have a pair of 800 gram Rockys and tend to get cold feet quite often when in the cold and snow of Colorado, so is the 400 grams in the above two boots enough of should I look into something with 1000+ grams thinsulate. Thanks for the input.

Fuzzy

I use 400 gram Danners and they are enough for me as long as I moving. If I am sitting in a stand they are not enough. Plus, there are too many factors out there to sway your decision. Depending on your circulation, making sure your boots aren't too tight (restricting circulation), weather you are moving or just sitting, etc, etc. I would say if your current 800 gram rocky's aren't warm enough the 400 grams are definitely not going to be. A big part of keeping your feet warm is choosing a good sock. One that is not too thick and making your boot too tight and one that does a good job of wicking moisture away from you goot.

alp is right,
Depending on 'your circulation'
I never needed insulated boots for many years!
Now I need them & hate them because sooner or later you get in to a situation where your feet are gonna sweat,once they get wet your feet are gonna get cold and/or sore!
I pack a spare pair in my truck/camp & trade off once in a while.

I like 600 and then top of the line socks and my cold feet have just about disappeared.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I agree with reddog.

I hiked mt rainier with the meindl alaska hunters - we were on glaciers the entire time with winds up to 50 mph. Very, very cold. I bought the boots a half size larger so I could wear good socks. My feet never got cold. I wore two pair of wool socks, one thinner and one thicker. Both were the smartwool variety. It worked perfectly. It's easier to layer with socks to match the temp and activity than it is to change the thinsulate in your boots.

If I sit still, my feet get cold. Doesn't seem to matter which boots, socks, or combination of the two. When I start walking, they warm up.

Thats pretty much how it goes for me.

utahheadgear, that is exactly how it is for me. If you add snow or wet and it is worse. I probably just have bad circulation.

Fuzzy

400 is enough and IMO; the best all around amount to have.

Just get some high quality, warm socks. I use my 400 gram
for about everything.

If your feet get cold in boots with 400 grams, then they probably will in a boot with 1000 or more grams. I'm one of the poor souls afflicted with cold feet that sweat....not a good combo for the outdoors in cold weather. I may have Raynaud's Syndrome....not sure but I have all the symptoms. It's when you have limited circulation to the extremeties.....in which case there is no boot however big that will keep your feet warm when you're still, simply put...you can't retain heat that isn't there in the first place. My advice....Toasty Toes stick on heat source. Stick them on the bottom of your sock and they work very well for a few hours, they're thin and don't bother me at all. Good luck fuzzy!

get a good pair of liner socks under your wool socks and your feet will stay dry even if they sweat. They work like underarmour for your feet.

I have the 400 gram Cableas Perfekt boots they are very god boot and with wool socks my feet haven't been to cold. Sometimes when riding my snowmobile my feet have been a little cold but not bad. They work good for me.

>If your feet get cold in
>boots with 400 grams, then
>they probably will in a
>boot with 1000 or more
>grams. I'm one of the
>poor souls afflicted with cold
>feet that sweat....not a good
>combo for the outdoors in
>cold weather. I may have
>Raynaud's Syndrome....not sure but I
>have all the symptoms. It's
>when you have limited circulation
>to the extremeties.....in which case
>there is no boot however
>big that will keep your
>feet warm when you're still,
>simply put...you can't retain heat
>that isn't there in the
>first place. My advice....Toasty Toes
>stick on heat source. Stick
>them on the bottom of
>your sock and they work
>very well for a few
>hours, they're thin and don't
>bother me at all. Good
>luck fuzzy!

Same here. I've have about a dozen pairs of winter work/hunting boots from 400 to some kind of giant frankenstein boots I bought from cabelas and still get cold feet.[rynaud's] Heat packs are the only thing that save me.

KK,

The Perfekt books from Cabelas is what I am leaning towards. Thats why I was wondering about 400 grams. I doubt it will make any difference from my current 800 gram Rockys. I think I am going to give them a try. Thanks for everyones input.

Fuzzy

If you get them, you will be going up about 10 fold in Boot quality. They will outlast 3-4 pair of Rockies.

I have two pair of boots: uninsulated and 400 gr insulated that I use for Colorado.

As stated, it is all about keeping your feet dry. I use a thin moisture wicking sock liner under smartwool socks. Have two thicknesses of socks, a thicker pair for colder temps.

It really helps is you can get a slightly oversized boot that can be laced up tighter or looser depending on thickness of sock used. The further down the toe the laces go, the more adjustment you can make.

For stand hunting, where you will not be walking almost at all, you can't beat a good pair of Sorrels (or that type). However, I use them about 5% of the time, and the others 95% of the time.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom