Boot survey

F

fowllivin

In the market for a new pair of boots. I finally wore out my cabelas boots after 5 years. My question is how many people use two different boots during the year. Do you buy a pair with 400-600 of thinsulate to use all year or do you buy a pair of non insulated and a pair of insulated?

I've got three pair of uninsulated leather boots for the earlier dry times, as well as a pair of 800 gram insulated lightweight ones that are good down into the low 20s, and a pair of "mickey mouse" boots when it really gets wet and/or real cold.

I wear a size 14 EE or EEE depending how they fit. With that size, i'm lucky to find a decent boot, let alone a good one in my price range, say under $200. or thereabouts.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Non-insulated Meindl's all year. I wear different socks depending on the temps.

Three different boots for me- Silent Sneakers in warm weather, Miendl Ibex 200 insulated most of the time,and Kenetrek Grizzley Pac-boots for cold and wet.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-12 AT 06:35PM (MST)[p]Boots are always a problem for me I wear a size 16 B but usually settle for a D. Its a pain in the but to have big feet. I have uninsulated Danners, 400 grain Danners, and 1200 or 1000 grain Kenetreks. I need to replace the uninsulated Dannners.

None insulated Crispi until it gets way cold then 1000 gram for the cold weather!Realy good weather like bow hunting I use good hiking boots.

Non insulated Meindl for early season.

Meindl with 200 grams for mid september early high country hunts.

Danner with 1000 grams for later hunts

Un-insulated Meindls in all weather just great socks. I wore my un-insulated Meindles in 15 below last year in Montana and they were awesome...I wore my 400 gram Danners one day and put them back in the bag.

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

I bought the Under Armour Sneak Freak and I have been very happy with them. They have been the most comfortable boot i have worn. They are uninsulated, I wore them in snow and my feet were still warm and dry.

I have used for years the Cabelas outfitter series.I think I got for or five years out of the last pair.They never leaked ,I wore them in the snow last year and they started to shrink up. The soles where also getting bald. I use the 1000 insulated. Which is fine most of the time for me. Have never gotten cold feet. But in the 100 degree heat they do get warm.
I was looking at the Kenetreks this spring but coundn't find a pair wide enough for me locally. I wear 10 1/2 or 11 ee or eee depending on the boot. So I went back to the outfitters at Cabelas.
ishoota300rum were did you see Kenetreks half off? I would still like to try a pair if I can try them on first.

I use a pair of Meindl Denali uninsulated when there is no snow on the ground and a pair of meindl Perfects 400 gram when there is.

Big John,
Kenetrek has had a booth at the Expo in the past and they allow you to try them on there. At least they did in the past.
I have the opposite problem than most because I wear a 7.5 wide boot. Most boots, including Kenetreks don't go that small.
I use 3 different pair including light weight LOWAs, Meindels and insolated Cabelas Outfitters.

Fowl-

Whatever boot you choose, don't let the wifey know how much they cost. Some things are better left unsaid.

TRH

uninsulated montrail hikers in warm-cool temps.
400 gram meindl perfekts in cold/little snow.
Sorel Quests for really cold.

The meindls were new this year, and I liked them so much that i might pick up a pair of their uninsulated hikers if i can find them on sale.

WH

Meindl 600 gram, for all but deep snow hunting, then Cabela Snowy Range pac's

When they came for the road hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the oppurtunists I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the public land hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one left to say anything!

I wear a pair of Cabela's all leather mt. hikers when it's dry or not too wet or cold.

When the rain & snow or cold weather rolls in, I go to my pac boots from hoffmans.

I've started wearing Keens (Waterproof and non waterproof, High top and mid tops) and love their feel. I have sz 14 foot and it sucks...but have been happy with Keens support and good feel right out of the box. Had 1 pair that the soles started tearing apart but they replaced no questions asked

Danner Pronghorn for hot weather. Kenetrek uninsulated for the rest. My feet sweat too much when hiking with insulated boots which ends up making them colder.

I have a couple pair of Irish Setter Elk Hunters. One pair of uninsulated, the others 1000 gram. The two pair I had re-soled after 6 years are now for work. The newer two pair for hunting. Extremely under-rated boot for the price. mtmuley

I use my 200 gram Cabela's Outfitter series boots. Been in every kind of weather from 9 to 109 degrees without fail. They are a little heavy and noisy for stalking into bow range, that's where an extra pair of socks comes in handy.

had a pair of 80$ browning boots that I wore for 3 years every day. Last winter I couldnt keep my feet dry, I hunt 2-4 days a week year round, so I put alot of miles on my boots. I bought a pair of Danners this year and Im not impressed. soles are worn and the threads are popping along the side. They are not insulated, or maybe 200gram. They are only 6 months old. If Danner will live up to its 1 year warranty I would consider buying them again, they have been comfortable boots, and i was impressed with how good they gripped the ground when hikeing when they had good sole.

I only have one pair of hunting boots - Kenetrek Mountain Extreme w/ 400 Gram Thinsulate. They keep me just warm enough in cold weather, but not too warm even in hot weather. I've only had them for two years, but I've yet to see the need for another pair of boots.

Thanks for all the info. It looks like Meindl is the one that everybody loves. I went to Cabelas and put the under armour speed freaks on and they are very comfortable and very light weight. I think that I may have to try these and then buy a pair of Meindl in a 400-600 for winter months.

I did see one post on the speed freaks, does anybody else have something to say on these.

Also how hard is it to hike all day in the Irish Setter elk hunters for those that have them? Are they heavy?

>Fowl-
>
>Whatever boot you choose, don't let
>the wifey know how much
>they cost. Some things
>are better left unsaid.
>
>TRH

You don't know how true this is!

I've been wearing Irish Setter Elk Hunters for a looooong time. They've never seemed heavy to me. Guess it's something I don't worry about. mtmuley

>Un-insulated Meindls in all weather just
>great socks. I wore my
>un-insulated Meindles in 15 below
>last year in Montana and
>they were awesome...I wore my
>400 gram Danners one day
>and put them back in
>the bag.
>
>
>Government doesn't fix anything and has
>spent trillions proving it!!!
>Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday,
>even the calender says WTF!
>

What are considered good socks? I always see big bins at cabelas filled with wool socks, do these count?

Guys Post #23 Codylee85 is on to something with the KEENS.
I have Plantar Fasciitis and do not need to wear my orthotics with my KEENS.
The week of snow last archery my Danner?s soaked through. The no bother good in-laws KEENS did not.
I recommend them for an early season boot. And a everyday work boot if you have The old guy bone spur thing going on.

I have a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme w/ 400 Gram Thinsulate and just bought a pair of Kenetrek Hardscrabble Hiker. I love Kenetrek boots.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom