Booking Private Land Hunts?

legacy

Very Active Member
Just curious if anyone has had similar experiences that I’ve had while trying to research private land hunts or have any insight? Over the course of the last few years I’ve reached out to several outfitters. If the information wasn’t already posted on a website, I ask questions such as “how far out are you booked?” “What is your typical success rate?” “What is the typical size of animal that’s harvested on the property?” “What is your current rate for said hunt?” For example, I emailed an outfitter again just today and included those questions. His response? “Booked through 2026” That was the entirety of his response.
Maybe I need to be educated on how this actually works because MOST (not all) of these outfitters won’t give me the time of day. They are very vague in their answers, refuse to give any prices (even if it’s just a ballpark number) and or refuse to answer any of the questions. Is it the “if you have to ask how much, you can’t afford it” mentality? It seems like there is an errogance amongst many of these folks and they don’t want to take you serious. Now I understand that there are probably enough returning clients for these guys that have deep pockets that maybe they just litteraly don’t have to deal with the little guys or guys that they don’t have a history with. That would make sense to me. Are asking questions like the ones I ask out of line? Do those question break some kind of “code”? Is there a secret handshake that I’m not aware of? Or again, does it just boil down to the reality that there is already an endless supply of returnig deep pocketed clients? I’m in a situation where the only chance I may ever have to kill a decent bull is to pay for a hunt. Also, I do not have deep pockets. This will be a once in a lifetime thing for me so I definitely have to “shop”. Anyway, I’d love some feedback on this.

You're emailing during the hunting season. Alot of outfitters aren't your super marketable guys, they are more your rancher style guy. I had similar experience when I booked my guided hunt a few years back. I wouldn't take it as rude, just that they are extremely extremely busy.

Yeah I get that. I’ve contacted outfitters during every part of the year with the exact same type of responses. Typically I try to avoid contacting them at all during the fall because I know things are especially crazy for them once fall hits.
And I agree 100% with what you say about these guys not being very good salesman. That was definitely a thought that crossed my mind.

Id just keep emailing and calling till you get what you're after. If they are that bad at talking then move on. Took me a month or so to get booked with my outfitter

If you see the same person advertising, there is something wrong with their operation. People flock back to a good experience. There is a common poster in our classifieds that always has hunts available, lots of them and for good reason. Most are junk hunts that he does not stand behind.

Best thing to do is get advise from people you know and learn from them. Don't trust the outfitter to be honest with you if he is just booking and running.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom