booking a wild boar hunt in texas

C

cresto316

booking a wild boar hunt in texas

Looking for advice or recomendation on booking an affordable wild boar hunt in texas. A quality hunt with potential for a wall hanger and eater pig. If anyone has any first hand experience with a great hunt down there I would love to hear about it.

RE: booking a wild boar hunt in texas

Rifle? Bow? High fence? Low fence? Big state, any area in particular?

It would be good to have the option to do both rifle or bow.Having never done a hunt like that, i probable lean toward a rifle. I will be travoling from Utah and have been looking at central and east Texas but there are a hundred outfitters on the web all pitching the same game. It would be nice to hear frome a hunter's perspective on a good operation to go with. as far as high fence or low fence i dont know enough to say i just wont to put a nasty tooth wall hanger on the ground and a couple eater pigs to fill my smoker or bbq.

I'm in the Dallas area, so I'll tell you what I know-

First off- from what I'm hearing, everywhere has pigs. Too many of them. And with the damage those things do- the ranchers want them gone. They just approved hunting them from a helicopter the problem is getting so bad. Long story short- pigs are everywhere out here, so don't overpay to hunt them.

As for what part of the state- Anything east of I-35 is pretty flat and very wooded. It's stand hunting all the way. The Central texas area is the prettiest part of the state (AKA the hill country).

If it were me, that's where I'd go. You'd likely see a ton of whitetails if you were hunting central texas too- as a bonus. Anywhere you go you'll likely see pigs. As for trophy size hogs- maybe some of the other guys can give you a better idea on that. Most people around here see them as varmints- so you don't hear much about where the biggest ones live. Seems like they could turn up anywhere there's food.

good luck,

WH

LAST EDITED ON Sep-26-11 AT 08:22AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-26-11 AT 08:22?AM (MST)

This guy might be ok, known in duck hunting circles in N TX:

http://www.kentoutdoors.com/pricing.asp

If you really want to have some fun go do this:

www.tacticalhogcontrol.com/

If you want to go high fence to make sure you just get to shoot something, you can check out these guys:

http://www.texaswildhoghunting.com/

Big juans here if you are looking for a "trophy" but you'll pay more:

http://www.nail-ranch.com/new/pricing.html

That's a few to check out, but as WH mentioned, anyone should be able to put you on some unless the outfit is a scam. With it being so dry they are all over the feeders.

If you find something you want to check out, run it by me and I'll see if I can find someone who's hunted there before.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-11 AT 12:04PM (MST)[p]I'd look for outfitters with riverbottom properties along the river systems in ETX (Neches, Angelina, Trinity, Sabine, Attoyac). They tend to be overrun with hogs and sadly, you'll find quite a few barrs that are good eating and have good cutters.

EX: (although he's a weee bit ugly to put on the wall)

B_MJM059.jpg

Texas it is if that's what you want but i cringe when i see all the spotted and multi colored pigs being shot under the name of "hunting wild Boar" To me they just look like a bunch of domestic pigs that were just turned loose!

Believe me, i'm no expert on hog hunting but i've killed a few out here in Kali and seen many more, these guys looked and acted just like you'd think a wild Boar should.

If you're looking for a Mr Nasty, wild Russian boar looking wall hanger, i'd seriously consider a guided Kali hunt.

Good luck on your hunt!

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-11 AT 01:32PM (MST)[p]+1 Joey. Many of the pigs in CA are the decendents of the wild european pigs brought to CA by ranchers such as william randoplh hearst in Monterey county in the 1920's. These pigs bred with the local feral pigs brought by the spanish in the 1700's. You will find the boars have much longer hair, flatter longer faces and big cutters. A pure black boar to me is the best looking trophy.

>LAST EDITED ON Sep-26-11
>AT 08:22?AM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON Sep-26-11
>AT 08:22?AM (MST)

>
>This guy might be ok, known
>in duck hunting circles in
>N TX:
>
>http://www.kentoutdoors.com/

JJ Kent and I duck hunt together. We live about 40 minutes apart. JJ is a stand up guy and will put you on hogs. He has a bunch of land leased around Texoma and on the Red River.

If you decide to use JJ, shoot me a PM. I can probably take you out on a half day fishing trip on Texoma for stripers for no charge.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom