Book Scouting Trip

RoadlessHunter

LAST EDITED ON Jul-25-12 AT 01:06AM (MST)[p]I took a 2 day scouting trip to the Book Cliffs. I came back with mixed feelings. It looks like it will be hard to find a good buck. I saw a few mediums but nothing like I want to shoot.

5 X 4 This buck would do on the last couple of days.
29574x5_two_cheater.jpg

5 x 4 I would shoot this one on the way out last day.
20195x4_small.jpg

4 x 4 Wide but has short points.
80024x4_buck.jpg

A couple bulls
18952_bulls.jpg

Future generation
4293fawns.jpg

I have a couple more bucks that are big on my video. I will make some snap shots and post them up later. One of those bucks had 6 points on each side.

How far north of the divide road do deer hang out during the muzzy hunt?

Depends on rather they've started their Migration!

With Warmer Weather the last few years it's just before Rifle Season when they start moving!

Everybody that pulls a Tag out there think's there are 30"ers everywhere!

Wrong!

Most Hunters will hold out for a couple days!

By day 3 & 4 watch out,PISSCUTTERS start hitting the dirt hard & Heavy!

Hang Tough & Good Luck,there's a few Shooters around,it's just not as easy as most would like it to be!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

All the bucks your posted are above average for that unit. A mature buck with more than 4 points per side out there is super rare. It isn't the Henry Mtns. There is a reason it takes 8-9 points to draw vs 16 for a Henrys muzz tag.

Dax

There is no such thing as a sure thing in trophy mule deer hunting.

Hope you find the monster you are looking for.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-12 AT 12:04PM (MST)[p]I wasn't sure what to expect on the Bookcliffs since I drew it as an expo tag. The LE that I put in for and hunt with a bow has bucks like the ones shown below. My brother passed on the first one at 15 yards bedded on the side of the road. Another hunter came by with the guide in the area and gut shot him. It took them 3 more arrows and a day to finally get him. He scored 214 points and was 28 inches wide. My bro passed because we were chasing the second buck pictured below. We had him at 35 yards but I had the shooting lane and didn't realize my brother couldn't see him. I kept saying shoot and he kept saying which one. I would say the one in the gap. The buck finally ran off with no shot at him.

6X6
9514big_6.jpg

Big 4
1260big_boyy.jpg

This one was with the 6 x 6 about 15 yards away. He is a main frame 3 with a bunchof 1 inch cheaters on his horns. A cross bow guy killed this one.
5542big_a_3.jpg

Not sure whats in this guys watering hole.
7724jpeg_big_6.jpg

A couple big boys down the road from camp
2085big_boys.jpg

Tall 5 x 4
1631biff.jpg

Ugly 3 x 4
5675big_3_by_4.jpg

This might be why I am picky I want to shoot a big buck.

Since it was an Expo Tag, and you can't turn it back (at least I dont think you can???), I'd suggest you just hunt until you find the exact trophy you want, and if you never find him, just be happy with hunting a new area and seeing some new country...

Some of the bucks you posted from the Books are definitely shooters for that area. Especially in the Muzzy hunt... Good luck to you, and I honestly hope you find that giant that has eluded everyone else out there all these years...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

I am jealous you got to go scouting much less that you will get to hunt a really good unit in a couple months. Enjoy the adventure and if you get the buck you want that is a bonus. Thanks for the pictures.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom