Book Cliffs from North

BrowningRage

Long Time Member
Hey everyone- I'm going to be in Roosevelt in Aug for work and am hoping to head into the Books in the evening for some fun scouting... I have only ever entered the Books from the south end. It looks as though I can go through Ouray, through the reservation and down Seeps Ridge..??

If anyone has been this way before- is this the best way in from the north..?? Also, as I've never been in the north, any areas I should check out for filming and photos..??

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Take the road through Ouray and you will end up at P.R. Springs.
From there you can go West to Diamond Ridge - Road Closed at this point and only foot or horse from there. Or, you can travel for a distance to Steer Ridge where the road ends. You can also
travel Eastward along way. Take extra gas if you tend to wander.

You can also visit the DWR in Vernal for suggestions.

Have fun.

TSX

Last two weeks I drove to the book cliffs from Vernal. The quickest way to the east side was through Bonanza, Three Mile Canyon, Atchee Ridge Road. But I did drive through the other way down Seep Ridge Road, seems a bit further but the road is decently groomed. You pass through the reservation there, Ouray, and end up on seep ridge road all the way! You got an elk or deer tag?

- Austin A Atkinson
www.AAAOutdoors.com

I have been both from the North and the South. I usually go by Ouray when coming from the Vernal side and down Seep Ridge Road.

ditto on what has been said. I will say that for whatever reason that road in from Ouray can be hard on tires. Be sure to have a good spare!
As far as seeing animals that time of year, just drive the roads on the ridges and you will see plenty of deer.

It's a ways out there. An after work trip would be very rushed and the construction on the Seep Ridge Road will make it slower.

My dad got hit for a deer tag this morning- I have more points than him and I haven't seen anything on my card yet... As long as one of us is going, I'm excited..!!

Are there other areas out by Roosevelt that I can go video or photograph deer nearby..??

It is a long ways out there, around 90 miles from vernal and a good 60 of them are dirt road. But, it would be the best area to photograph deer in that area. Although, it is more of a weekend or all day trip.

You would check out the Unitas and go up places like the Red Cloud loap or drive up by Flaming Gorge Dam. Not as many deer, but you may find a few to take pictures of.

Since you have a permit that changes things. First, the buck behavior in books are different than any other place. They tend to migrate off the "tops" towards their winter range as soon as the acorns drop (they love those acrons) and way before the opening. Seen this occur many times. You may locate a great buck but don't plan on him being there on the opening - assuming it's a rifle hunt. If it's archery then you may be in great shape. I would locate the winter ranges - talk to the DWR biologist in Vernal about probable locations again assuming you have a rifle hunt.

TSX

Congrats on the tag! Which tag did you get? I could give you some recomendations on where to look, but (mentioned earlier) you will not see one deer in the area your supposed to hunt if you have a rifle tag. The rifle tag is in the heat of the migration, but for the archery tag you will be in the deer. During august they are all over the divide road. If you drew a rifle tag, feel free to pm me if your looking for some ideas on where to hunt, or on any of the other tags at that.

If your staying in Roosevelt, Ouray is the best way down. Seep ridge will take you all the way to the divide

Good luck

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

LAST EDITED ON May-20-11 AT 09:40PM (MST)[p]>Just look for the new pavement
>pretty soon. From Ouray to
>the divide.

Look for it, but not "pretty soon". I guess everything is relative though.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom