Book Cliffs Elk

S

STB6

Just found out the money was taken from my acount from the DWR, I drew a book cliffs muzzleloader tag and dont know much about the area does anyone have any good advice?
Thanks

pm sent

NO GUTS, NO STORY!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

PM Sent STB6.. Congrats on a great tag, for a great hunt...!

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Haven't been in that country for a few years. As out of State hunters we accessed the Cliff's off I-70. There are three Cliff's access signs on I-70 starting about 12 miles before Grand Junction, CO. The first two road access will take you to the top of the Cliff's. Access #1 has tree's and good cover mixed w/steep rock ledges and canyons. Access #2 goes to the top and is the best road to the top. Wider and large truck useable. Road #2 is the only road to try and pull any type of trailer. Steep with switchbacks. You can drive up this road when frozen but if the day allows road to thaw. Your vehicle can become uncontrolable and slide to the cliffs edge. Best to camp at the bottom and drive up daily if you trailer camp. Tent camping go to the top and stay there. There is a large radio antenna tower at the top of the Cliff's(get topo map)and this road is used to maintain the antenna. Access #3 stays at the bottom lower country and gives access into many canyons and Cliff's and skirts the CO. border. We saw Elk at the top of the Cliff's "more trees and cover" off road #1. Roads #1 and #2 come out on top within a mile of each other. Access #3 has good camping, cliff's and cover in spots and you can drive for miles.

Always carry plenty of extra gas 30 gallons miminum on your hunting trip into the Cliff's. Most would carry a 50 gallon drum and pump.

Make sure you take a well maintained 4X4 vehicle and a PLB (personal locator beacon) if you hunt alone. The Cliff's are a very dangerous place and you are in 50 miles if you break down. From the top at the radio tower you are looking down into Grand Junction CO. about twenty miles as the crow flies. Careful where you shoot something to get it out. We hunted rifle and most shots were 800 yds with WBY's but you won't have that issue.

Do a scouting trip so you learn the country and roads not to waste time when hunting. Take a GPS it is easy to get lost because the country all looks the same down in those canyons.

I gave you this info. because we now Archery Hunt up close and personal and the Cliff's just don't give us the best bang for our buck anymore. We public land archery hunt another state and had six bulls within 100yds all bugeling at the same time. That's how we now get our rush. I had a cow elk at three feet this past season. The only reason she did't step on me was downed timber. Get everyone hunting with you in the field to purchase some good Cabela's Scent-Lok camo, Scent-Killer spray and wash products, and personal hygein products. Wash and spray everything. The stuff really works...Good Hunting

Take a X50 spotting scope and quality optics.

Take light colored neutral tone camo patterns like grays and browns. Most of your backgrounds will be rocks. There are not many trees down in those canyons. Just a few junipers here and there. Nothing big enough to hang an elk. Plan to cut your elk up and put into ice chests.

Access road #1 on I-70 traveling towards Grand Junction has the best overall cover for your type of hunting. With your muzzeloader you will need to get to a closer kill zone. Most areas of the Cliff's are open and long shooting.

There is no water in the Cliff's. You must truck in as much as you can haul. There is a cattle pond and trough at the base of the climb up the mountain on access road #2.

Access Road #2 starts as desert flats and brush turning to Cliffs and nothing but rock as you climb the mountain 20 miles to the top at the antenna tower. Big terrain change at the top of the Cliff's more suited to Muzzeloader ranges. There is a small dead end dirt road with a large place to camp on a little bluff about 500 yds to the right off the main access #2 road. This camp road is about one half mile plus or minus before the cattle pond.

Take chains for all 4 tires. We hunted in October and if it rains or freezes and thaws the roads turn to grease and your tires will ball up with the stickiest mud you will ever encounter making your mud tires useless. The only way to get traction and around as well as not to slip off the roads or off a cliff on access #2 is to carry and use chains comming down the mountain.

Access road #1 and #2 are at least 25 miles long up to the top of the Cliff's from I-70.

Take a good GPS and topo maps. Last time we were there. There were no road signs in the Cliff's.

Just read your post today thanks for taking the time i realy appreciate the input.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom