bonus point system

B

bzobell

I was reading the post about inheriting points and it made me think how bad I hate Utah's point system.

First off, I am not a fan of being able to put in as a party. I know way to many people that are cheating the system by putting in for family members who do not hunt so they can mooch off of there points later on. This puts these guys years ahead of someone that would have had to start fresh after whatever tag they may draw.

Second, there is very little separation between guys for the lottery tags. There are other states that will square your points and this gives much better odds to the guy that has been putting in longer at getting those lottery tags. Especially with the once in a lifetime hunts, were most people will never achieve max points. Don't get me wrong, I love the chance that you can draw tags quickly if you get lucky, but something inside feels wrong every time I hear about that guy that drew a Henry Deer tag with 3 points. I would like to see better odds for the guys that have been waiting 10+ years...

I have written members of the wildlife board and received no response.

Am I crazy, or does anyone else agree with me????

Yep, ur crazy.

Utah has may-be the best draw systeme set up....50/50.
50% to the top point holders, and 50% random draw...

Beats the heck out of Wyoming, Arizona..

Colorado is strait PPs..Max points gets all.

Nevada's sqaring system is OK..

New Mexico, No points.

Not sure about Idaho or Montana.....

But out of those, I like Utahs best.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

I do like Utah's system but I do agree that they should revise the way that you can put in as a party hunt. I would rather see them do it like Colorado where you can put in as a party but the party will be entered with the lowest member's point total. This would stop the problem you mentioned where people are putting in everyone in the family including grandma to build up points so that they can average them to draw more often.

I wish I could re-word a little and say that I strongly dislike aspects of the system rather than hate the system as a whole. You are correct, there are some good aspects to it, I still feel that there are major flaws that could be improved. I also don't think all of those States can be compared apples to apples with Utah. But, I just was curious to see if anyone else shared my frustrations....

Or even lock your party in with points, if the whole party doesn't put in, the rest of the party has zero points. Makes you pick your "friends" more carefully. Great Grandma dies, your party looses all its points.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom