Bonus Point System Near

Never thought I would say this but I hope they do not go to a bonus points system. I figure I would rather play the odds game and keep the odds at a reasonable percentage. All that will do is turn good units into OIL tags.

The reality is IDFG dosen't have the game to support their spending habits. Therefore they need to sell the "appearance" of something like the rest of the states.

BCPronghorn

Did I read it correctly that they are considering allowing nonresidents to use their deer or elk tags on a wolf? Plus additional methods to take a wolf? Sounds like a step in the right direction to knock a few extra wolves out of the population.

Not sure how I feel about a point system in Idaho. Would like to hear some details on the approach before deciding one or another.

Being able to use Deer and Elk tags for wolves sounds like a good Idea to me as well, but that would probably in the short term be a $$ losing idea because alot of folks buy the wolf tags on top of their deer and elk tags. And IDFG would not like to loose any more money.
Speaking of money I have said it before and I'll say it again, a point system (if nothing else than just for NON-residents) is about the only way the IDFG could raise more revenue with out decimating the game populations even more. But I too would like to hear more about the details before I could decide if I would support it.
And before all the anti-point folks jump on here claiming a point system would have to mean eliminating OTC general tags and we could only hunt every 15-20 years, don't fall for the rhetoric until we know the details.

Moosey,

I don't know why you would need to eliminate the OTC tags. If you buy a tag you cannot accumulate a point, seems fair to me. People who want to hunt every year can and people who would like to wait for a limited hunt can as well. Now if Id. could only start a choose your weapon, that would make a huge difference in applications as well as OTC tags.
By the way, I'm 51 years old and have drawn 4 elk tags and two pronghorn tags since 1976. Zero deer tags though.

Cabuck

On the agenda as well:

Rules against using telemetry for hunting game animals.

What is this addressing? Game cameras, range finders, GPS devices?

LAST EDITED ON May-14-10 AT 08:23AM (MST)[p]I was wondering the same thing. I can't imagine that they mean tracking collars on hounds... That would be a pretty big blow to the bear and cat hunters. Those guys are already punching about turning out if there is even a hint of a long race in wolf country. Take away the tracking collars and we will see an impact to hound hunting.

no way they are going to ban GPS units or Range Finders.

>Moosey,
>
> I don't know why
>you would need to eliminate
>the OTC tags. If you
>buy a tag you cannot
>accumulate a point, seems fair
>to me. People who want
>to hunt every year can
>and people who would like
>to wait for a limited
>hunt can as well.

I don't know why you would either. But some of the guys hell bent against point systems were spreading around that kind of B.S. in an attempt to scare unknowing folks into fighting against a point system. If you read my post again I was just saying don't listen to them until we have more details.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom