Bonanza or Gunsmoke?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
I mentioned a few months ago that i had given up my Dish service in a effort to cut costs around the house. Boy, am i over it, i don't miss live TV at all and won't probably until the World Champion SF Giants start their defending Championship Season. I'll miss those games near every night but i'm working on that too so might get the games, hope so.

Anyway, there is so much stuff, TV shows and movies on U-Tube that a guy can pull up. A couple of my favorites, listed above, rank high in my killing time something to watch category. A guy can just about watch every episode ever made, back to back, start to finish.

I like them both. Which do you like better?

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-15 AT 01:34PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-15 AT 01:07?PM (MST)

Bonanza but my favorite TV western of all was the corny Brisco County Jr

2311idiot.jpg

I'd vote for Bonanza.
I finally got a digital antenna so I could watch free tv and have watched a couple episodes. Those guys are cool.
With that said, there's no flies on a good episode of Gun Smoke!
Zeke

Wow....That's a tough one. Lorne Green used to live down the street when I was a kid, super nice guy. Used to see Dan Blocker's huge fishing boat, "Big Hoss", in the marina.
A house I was remodeling several years ago, Jim Arness lived next
door, another super nice guy. Michael Landon's daughter was a friend of one of my sisters through high school, he was also a super nice guy.
But my favorite had to be "Wanted; Dead or Alive", was a big fan of Steve McQueen. I used to see him pick up his kid's from the grade school I attended with an old Triumph motorcycle.
He used to put one behind him and the other on the gas can. The cops never cared. We had a major flood on my street in the early 60's, the street was a river. Me and a friend of mine were enjoying all of the excitement and carnage. A guy driving a city
skip loader pushing mud and debris, jumped off his rig and tapped me on the shoulder and asked if we needed a lift, it was Steve McQueen driving that city loader, just helping out. We were blown away.
Loved all those old Westerns.

Sunday night, front and center of the old TV, hardly ever missed it.

6327hoss.jpg

From Wiki about Blocker, " Fame frightens me; it truly does, perhaps because I wasn't expecting it. I feel like I have a tiger by the tail. I'm in this business for the money. I need money, like anyone else, because I want to give to my wife and kids a good home and a good life. It's what any man wants to do for his family. Hell, man, I'm just an ordinary guy.
My daddy used to say that I was too big to ride and too little to hitch a wagon - no good for a damn thing.
I can lose five pounds by walking to the corner store."

Also from wiki, kind of surprising to me, "He was an activist liberal Democrat and a staunch opponent of the Vietnam War."

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Gunsmoke.

Have Gun Will Travel was my favorite.

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

I think little Joe wore his pants too tight! lol

Joey

Big Valley ~ enjoyed that young and impetuous Audra. At least with Gunsmoke you had Ms. Kitty...... with Bonanza, whaddya got Hopsing?

Audra was Hot, no doubt!!

Joey

Gunsmoke I still watch each evening Comcast TV on the Western Channel. Use to watch Bonanza but I don't anymore.
I still watch earlier westerns in the early AM. This morning it was Eddie Dean the Signing Coyboy.
Yesterday AM it was Lash LaRue.

In the evenings it is Gunsmoke then an hour of Cheyenne and then "real true stores" of the old west on Death Valley Days hosted by either Ronnie Reagan or Robert Taylor. You would be surprised at how many future stars had started on Gunsmoke and Death Valley Days.

Some more trivia for you. A western shoot em up staring a very young John Wayne that was made in 1934 had a young outlaw who was shot by Big John and was told change your life and stay out of trouble....who was this future Western Star and singer?

The King of the Cowboys.....Roy Rogers aka Leonard Sly.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Danial Boone was a great show too! Danial's Becky,.. not hard to look at! lol

Joey

Gunsmoke for sure. I liked Festus Hagen better than Chester too. Though both shows were kind of corny, Bonanza was a little more light hearted and silly I thought. I wonder how many men marshal Dillon gunned down? He was killing at least one outlaw every episode.

Gunsmoke, But a close second was Rawhide.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Up to about a year ago or so, I was watching Rawhide and really like the shows song sung by Frankie Laine.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

I liked both as a youngster. Also, all the others that have been mentioned, including Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, and the Lone Ranger. I'm showing my age.

Honestly, I wish I enjoyed watch them now but I don't. Not sure why, most of my buds watch an enjoy watching then again, including the Jack Gleason Show, but not me, wish I did, everything else on TV today sucks.

I think I get a bigger kick out of reruns of Seinfelt, All In The Family, and Mash. I think all of the characters are disgusting but the scripts are pretty crazy. All three make fun and ridicule the kind of life style that I love, but they did a darn good job, poking fun at us square pegs.

DC

Both are-were great. I would choose gunsmoke over Bonanza......The one with Rowdy Yates was probably better.....Bruce Dern was the best no good S>O>B that ever rode a horse!
J_T_B

Bruce Dern, I loved to hate that guy! lol

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Others worth mentioning were "Maverick", "Have Gun, Will Travel",
"The Riflemen". We sure had a lot of old western TV shows to choose from as kids. But still think about Steve McQueen's side arm on his show, the sawed off .30-.30, about 18"-20" long., in a
holster!
So may of those guy's were larger than life to us back in the day.
I was lucky enough to buy Robert Taylor's '56 Willy's Jeep from a garage sale at his estate when I was 16. Paid $500.00 for it.
He had a fabulous ranch house up the street from us.
A high school I went to in Colorado for 2 years, they filmed "True Grit" just out of town. A lot of the actor's and production staff used the school as a staging ground. Even ate with some of the students in the mess.
I just love old western's, be it TV or motion picture.

You guys are Awesome, thank You! You've all given me lots of ideas, other shows to look up and watch.

Eel Paladin was a slick dude but as a kid, i always thought he was kind of a "bad guy".

Anything with James Garner was great, especially the Maverick series!

The great escape with Steve McQueen was one of the first serious movies i saw as a kid that i sat thru start to finish. I thought Papillon was his best work, saw that 4-5 times years ago and looked for the full movie on u-tube but it's like many, there's somebody trying to sell rights to watch it.

Yes, Rawhide was always good. Young Clint Eastwood made that show IMO, him and Gil Favor as herd Boss.

Festus Hagen, imo, really helped make Gunsmoke what it is. My vote for best show would go to Gunsmoke. Miss Kitty was a bit old for me at the time but she was a good one, always trying to make things better for somebody!

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom