Boiling Skulls w/ Antlers

H

Hanson

What's the best way to boil a deer or elk head with antlers? I tried on my buck this year but some of the color faded and i had a hard time getting the whole head in the pot without some part of the antler soaking in the water. Thanks.

Hansen This may sound kinda of simple but get a larger pot. I have found that if you wrap the antlers in suran wrap from the bases up about 8-10" it keeps them from turning white. I also use a brick or rock under the skull to level it in the pot. Also depending on the color of the antlers I have used some wood stain before to touch it up. They make a lot of colors and remember its always darker than appears. Good luck!

its not going to discolor the antlers if there in the water!just got finished with another one a had no issues. i never had discoloring on the antlers.

ridgeline outdoors prostaff
blacks creek guide gear prostaff

Muleymemories- How exactly do you do it? Do you boil or just simmer the water? Please let me know, I don't want to jack anymore up. Thanks again.

As stated above, wrap the antlers with aluminum foil, prop the skull in a pan so that the antlers aren't in the water. Simmer, not boil.

this is how i've always done it. simmer head completely under water for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours and remove. then power wash meat, brains, etc off skull while its still warm(majority should come off) simmer another hour or so and repeat power wash process.remove skull let dry and mix up whiteing paste from beauty salon (will get the name cant remember) and your done! biggest thing is not to over simmer (cook)!

ridgeline outdoors prostaff
blacks creek guide gear prostaff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom