Boiling Heads??

M

muledeershedsrock

I would like to boil my deer head and my brother's antelope head but I have never done it before. I was wondering if anyone on here could tell me what I would need and how to do it.

Thanks

Canyon

Its real easy.

You'll need:

1. A pot and a heat source to "boil" them in.
2. I'd get some sal-soda, also called washing soda.
3. Dawn detergent, concentrated variety is best.
4. 40 volume creme developer from a beauty shop along with some basic white or magnesium carbonate.

First step will be to mix in a cup or two of sal soda into the water, DONT boil your skulls and try to keep the deer antlers out of the water as much as possible. The antelope, I'd submerge just below the prongs. You'll have to pop the antelope horns off the skull. Usually takes about 20-30 minutes in hot water before they slide off. Once the horns come off simmer for maybe 2-3 hours...again DO NOT boil.

Much of the flesh will start coming off at this point, scrape what you can, and just keep letting the skulls simmer until you have them clean.

Next, I start with clean water and about half of a large bottle of dawn dish soap. I simmer the skulls for another 4-5 hours in that, a majority of the grease will be gone from the skulls. Repeat that process if you arent sure if the grease is gone.

Once the skulls are at that point, mix a thick paste from the basic white/magnesium carbonate and 40 volume creme developer. Paint them with the paste, covering liberally, but keep it off the antlers. I usually wrap the bases of the antlers with aluminum foil to ensure the paste doesnt get on them. I then wrap the skull with a plastic bag and leave them for 3-4 days. Open them up, rinse off the paste and let them dry.

You'll have to use some bondo and re-attach the antelope horns to the skull once its cleaned and bleached.

Come out pretty good generally.

These are the skulls I did from the animals my wife and I shot last year:

IMG_3508.JPG

Some of our antelope as well from the last 10 years or so:

IMG_3661.JPG

My wifes 2010 booner antelope:

IMG_4302.JPG

Buzz seems to have it down to a T. My father and myself ended up doing 3 bulls and a buck this year and have gotten pretty good at it. One trick I've found that works really well is if you have access to a hotsey or any other pressure washer. Is too boil the skulls and as soon as they come out hit them with the pressure washer. It really takes some of the hassel of having to get a knife and scrape existing flesh and membrane off while also allowing you to knock any remaing brain matter and stuff in the nasal cavity out you can't reach.
Have fun!
Coloradoboy

Dont boil them, if you boil yhem to long or have it to hot, you will ruin your skulls, find someone with beetles and you'll be amazed with the difference that is between a boiled skull and a beetled, degreased skull. Boiling sets the grease in the bone, which will leach out in a couple of years and will yellow your skulls and stink

Skull Designs: Quality European Mounts at affordable prices

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom