Boat Floor Question

2lumpy

Long Time Member
I've got a old aluminum boat with a high density plywood floor that has rotted and is very soft in the rear quarter section of the boat. I'm going to replace it. I've removed all the seats and ready to pull the old boat carpet off the old plywood.

So there's the question. Is there any reason to rip the old floor out, or is it practical to lay the new plywood down on top of the old, especially in the front 3/4 of the boat, where the current floor seems solid.

I expect I'll find wet rotted styrofoam under the old floor if I pull the old plywood off. Should I care if the old plywood stays on or should it be removed.

I'm not trying to do an fancy rebuild project, the boat doesn't justify a full restoration, I just want the floor to be solid under foot.

Thanks for any suggestions.
DC

Hey Lumpy!

Even though it's gonna be a Pain I'd tear the Old Plywood out!

It's a bunch of extra weight added to the Boat versus Hauling more Big Fish home!:D

It'd be easier just slappin some new on the old but just sayin..........!

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

I have a utility trailer that was the same , I just put the new over the old and it is just fine many years later. That being said it did add weight to the trailer and I still from time to time regret not fixing it the right way instead of half/a$$ing it.

Fix it once and never look back.If you layer it all you will do is have a handy place to trap water and the wood would rot out faster.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>Hey Lumpy!
>
>Even though it's gonna be a
>Pain I'd tear the Old
>Plywood out!
>
>It's a bunch of extra weight
>added to the Boat versus
>Hauling more Big Fish home!:D
>
>
>It'd be easier just slappin some
>new on the old but
>just sayin..........!

Yup; no need to be soft in the rear.

Especially if you go by yourself very much, i would think that you want some extra weight up front.

I'm not saying to leave the current floor in or not, up to you. I would though, figure a way to build in fifty, a hundred pounds to the front. It makes a much more stable boat when alone out in sudden cross winds. It might save your life.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Thank boys. I'll rip the old floor out. I hadn't considered the extra weigh and that High Density Plywood is extra heavy as it is.

DC

I would replace the bottom with a screen door and then spray it with Flexseal. ;-)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ofMwxrWDUmQ

flexsealboat.jpg

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

Where can I get some of that Flexseal NVB, clearly, I'm going to need it.

Ripped her open this morning, it was nasty. But the styrofoam was in much better shape than I expected. Not wet and soggy like I'd expected. I'm still going to replace it with new. I am also a little surprise at the quality they built into this boat, I wasn't expecting nearly as strong an under carriage system as I found under that rotted floor. Maybe this boat is worth putting back together well.

Anyone ever used pop rivets to attach plywood to aluminum?

Day one, letting the sun get at if for a few days now.

8021nastyboat.jpg

2Lumpy, that's not the aluminum boat type that i expected to see. I had mentioned wanting some extra weight forward but with that type of construction, not as important as it would be with one of the car top variety.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

2lumpy, nice boat. I'm glad to see you do it all the way.

Not sure I would want to rivet the floor. You might need to remove it down the road.

You need to put in a hidden compartment for extra fis.......I mean extra gear.:)

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

How was the original floor attached? I'd get a can of that spray foam and fill any gaps u may have in your new styrofoam.

I riveted the old Alumacraft I used to have. Bought the wide black pop rivets from Fastenal and bought a pop rivet gun for the compressor. It had pop rivets in the deck to start with. You can buy marine plywood from City Plywood in Deer Valley and it is worth the money. He has nice wood.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom