BOAT ADVICE

NASCAR88

I have my boat search narrowed down to two boats

boat 1 23 ft striper w/ 5.0 volvo inboard

boat 2 21 ft striper w/ 200 4-stroke yamaha outboard

both boats have hardtops and are the same price.

any thoughts either way. thanks

I own a 2301 Striper with a 5.0 and I am very happy with it. I would opt for the larger boat for the additional room. Two feet doesn't sound like much but it really makes a difference.
Are you going to keep the boat in the water or on a trailer?

Jim

been working in the marine industry for 17 years, my opinion outboard is the way to fly.
comparing the 2, theres just alot more variables to consider with an inboard that you really dont have to on an outboard.
1. the main leaker( outdrive boots)
2. slightly more expensive for routine service.
3. more troublesome(timely) to swap out shift and throttle cables. those get replaced more often than a guy thinks.
4. slight give in the motor mounts, or vibration leads to premature gimbal bearing wear, along with any other looseness in the drive or transom flex. spendy! not only for the part but then to fix the real issue.
5. loss of deck space on the back end due to a doghouse.
6. if you live in a climate that could have temps. drop below freezing, then you have to winterize your engine. then in the spring you have to dewinterize. that could be 65-100 a pop each time..
kinda could go on and on...
outboard issues....

making sure your transom is sound for the motor to hang off of it.
impeller change(cheap)
changing of your oils.
dont have to winterize. just let the motor hang vertically.

DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU'RE GONNA BE DOING WITH IT I GUESS???

AND I AGREE WITH MADMOOSE!!!

SHIFT CABLES ON INBOARD/OUTBOARDS DON'T LAST VERY LONG IF YOU ADD UP ACTUAL TIME USED!!!

I'VE BEEN IN SEVERAL ARGUEMENTS OVER SHIFT CABLES,THEY START BINDING UP A LITTLE & CAUSE PROBLEMS,WHEN I FIRST SEEN THIS I THOUGHT:MERCRUISER DEVISED THIS POS SET-UP???

WINTERIZING THEM AIN'T TO BAD IF YOU KNOW HOW & YOU DON'T WAIT TILL JANUARY TO DO IT!!!

I THINK IF I WAS GONNA BUY A BOAT STRICTLY FOR FISHING & USING IT IN COLD WEATHER IT WOULD HAVE TO BE AN OUTBOARD!!!

WHEN I WAS IN ALASKA ALOT OF THEM GUYS ARE USING THE NEW YAMAHA OUTBOARD 4 STROKES!!!

THEY ARE QUIET & YOU DON'T HAVE TO ENHALE 2 STROKE OIL EXHAUST FUMES!!!

AMAZING WHAT AN OUTBOARD COSTS THOUGH!!!

SOMTIMES TO GET IN ON A PISSCUTTER IT TAKES SOME STEALTH!!!
I THANK MY FRIEND Feleno FOR THE STEALTH CAMO!!!

4a25cb9a7105a720.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

THERE'S ONLY ONE bobcat!!!

I think the problem is I think I want the bigger of the two boats but I wish it had a outboard on it.

Nascar88;

I am no boat expert, but have been in many while fishing. I think you will find that inboard more cramped at the stern due to the doghouse cover for the inboard. That outboard, even 2 foot shorter will give you more room at the stern for fishing and overall comfort.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Jul-08-09 AT 09:44PM (MST)[p]Outboard all the way! I won't own another I/O! Stick with Yamaha!
Eric
famousfigures_abevigoda.gif

Ultra liberal, wolf loving, illiterate, gay, hippie midgets on crack piss me off!!!!

deerline.gif

>Personally, I like my boat the
>best.
>
>
4a54e8f717e65206.jpg

Mulleymaddness, you have been just waiting for the right time to use that picture. Well you have convinced me to go with a outboard, don't know if I can afford three though.

>Rent one when you need it.
>

+1
Being a 2 boat owner, my Seaswirl and I have an inflatable renting or going with a friend that owns a boat is absolutely the best way to go.. Than you don't give a damn if it's a outboard or I/O.

As my dad always told me:

If you ride it, If you fly it, or if you F##k it..
It's much cheaper to rent it..

I think he knew what he was talking about..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom