S

spcheuvront

Blue;

I have never spoken to you ;

My name is Steve Cheuvront

I live in Arizona

I am active in conservation

My question is this, under the post about fires are a good thing-

You talked about seeding something that would compete with established "cheat grass"

I would very much like to know what it is and what the procedure
you used to establish it.

i.e. seed rate, climate at time of seeding, prospective rain forcast at time of seeding, what stage was the cheat grass in when you seeded, etc.etc.etc.

You have given us hope here in Az.

Tell us, and--- I'll but you a soda pop!!!

Thanks in advance, Blue

Steve Cheuvront

Steve, Sorry, I'm not blue but....

Forage Kochia has been the best here in UT/NV but don't know if it will get cold enough where you are and when you need to seed it, it has to have a good hard frost. The seed is harvested in Nov/Dec. and laid down Jan--Feb and the seed looses germination after a year. If you get that where you are at then its proven to be the best so far in UT/NV in competing with and out competing cheat grass. It does best in conjunction with spraying plateau as well. But again it needs a good hard frost, must be put on the top of disturbed soil. It also acts as a very effective fire break to break the cycle of the fire frequency. Once its established it is very friendly in allowing natives to come back in and doesn't persist much past 25 years or so.

If you want more info our ARS boys up here at USU are the experts for sure, i can get you their contact info.

Fires in my opinion or at least control burns should not be used where you have a tenancy to have strong invasives including cheat grass.

Todd Black
BTO

Isn't there something call Bozoisky Wheat grass(could be a different name) that is being tested in Ut too by the BLM, Or something along that line that is working too. I think I read something about it a year or so ago.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Todd;

Thanks for the great news!

Yes, I would like to be put in touch with your experts, please.

You know guys, as I understand cheat grass, and I am just a guy who works for wildlife as an amature, is that it germinates sooner in the season and by doing that it robs the water and nutrients from the soil and the other grasses and forbs don't have what they need to grow. It then grows vigeriously and then dies off creating a carpet of fire fuel.

Todd please correct me , as I'm sure I messed that up.

Todd, I owe you a soda pop!

Thanks for your good information. I believe this sharing of information is what makes this site so valuable!

Steve Cheuvront

LAST EDITED ON Apr-04-10 AT 06:10PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-04-10 AT 06:09?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Apr-04-10 AT 01:54?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Apr-04-10 AT 01:53?PM (MST)

Blue, I to have never met you, but also have some questions. I take it that you have been involved in the burn program that has been going on the Greenville bench/Bald ridges area over the last few years.

Is the milk weed thistle some thing that was in the reseed mix that was used to re-seed that area? There are big areas so thick you can't even walk through it.

Is there anymore burns set up for this summer?

There is a 1/4 mile wide a mile or so long strip that was cut by chain saw kind of south west of HYW 21 a couple of mile from Minersville Res. It has satellite sensors scattered about it.
Know what that is all about? If so is there a place on the web a person can access that info?

Any plans for any new water developments in there?

Sure is opening up a ton of great new country. I've already noticed a change in the deer herd pattern up there.

Thanks

Steve--

you are right, bromus techtorum germinates early in the spring much earlier than other native grasses and forbs and is one of the reasons it is so competitive. Additionally because it takes advantage of the early spring moisture it also changes the physical make of the soil and actually increased the temperature of the soil thus not allowing other species to even germinate. PM me with your email and I will give you the contact info for our ARS guys. I'ts important you know your annual precip. and mean temperature in Jan/Feb. in the 20's

Todd Black
BTO

Sorry I have been away for the weekend. Steve one of the better grasses that can and will out compete cheat grass is crested wheat grass. It is a very palatable (sp) grass and we use it a lot in our seed mixes when we re-seed burned areas. Some people don't like crested wheat grass because it is not a native grass. Cheat grass is not native either so when it comes down to choosing what introduced species you want I guess you have to weigh the pro's and cons.

I've had trouble getting Russian Wildrye established in western Colorado.

I also like blue grama in place of crested wheat grass at lower elevations and lower precip areas.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-10 AT 10:41AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-10 AT 10:40?AM (MST)

We grow Bozoisky Select #2 Russian Wild Rye Seed for the Forest Service. It is a lot better than the original Bozoisky, but it is still a newer grass that isn't as well known as it the original. It is pretty good stuff and the wildlife love it. It is very drought tolerant, in fact, last year we only watered half of it (just to see) and there wasn't a huge drop off of seed production. Its good stuff. Here is the link that Gator was referring to: http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b..._thread&om=13524&forum=DCForumID5&archive=yes
Check it out...
We are trying another new one this year, I am excited about it. It is a bunch grass that is suppose to be drought tolerant as well. We won't water it at all so we will see just how tolerant it is...
CSO

It's all about the good times...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom