BLM/ Private/ Public online map overlay?

BuckSnort

Long Time Member
Anyone know of a website that has these types of free maps? I'd like it to be able to zoom down to a quad map or so for accuracy..

A overlay for Google Earth would be ideal...Oh, I'd like a CA version but other states would be good to know for later...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I'd start at the forest ranger station thats over the area your looking for.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-16-11 AT 09:52PM (MST)[p]Publiclands.org (I believe) has all BLM, Forest maps ,and topos that are available. I have most of NM thru them at fraction of cost elsewhere,mailed. There is an add on for Garmin somewhere.My Topo.com will make custom maps after you figure out where you want to go. Del Lorme has a map system in topo for the whole US. FREE? What world do you live in? Goggle has Sat.pics and you can put in GPS co-ords, but I wouldn't trust a goggle map for accuracy.

HuntingGPSMaps is offering a free trial of our statewide BLM4GPS or PLAT4GPS maps with a chance to win a free full version license (a $130 value).

To download a free trial version to your computer please use either the embedded link past this link into your web browser:

http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/order/freetrial.html

Please post back to this thread when you have downloaded your free trial map to be officially entered into the drawing for the free full version license. Multiple licenses may be given away if we get enough interest.

Available state maps are: Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Each statewide map shows the public land and private land ownership and makes it easy to see where you are relative to public and private property boundaries.

Map Features Public Lands with Unique Colors Section Lines and Numbers Topo Lines ? 20 ft contour intervals - 1:24K Equivalent Roads - City, Hwy, & Backroads Big Game Management Units / Hunt Areas Geographic Names (cities, creeks, man-made features, etc) Water Data (creeks, rivers, lakes) National Forest Roads & Trails Etc... Visit Our website HuntingGPSMaps for more, state specific details

Robb

JUDAS PleaseDear!

2:39 AM?:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!

This is the system I had heard of,looks like I'll have to get a Garmin,won't work with my Magellan. No brainer to have a system like this in NM.

Hey Robb/PleaseDear,

I tried the trial for my new Garmin Oregon and I love the features. Having BLM data will be huge when I'm hunting private/public checkerboards for antelope this fall.

Thanks,
BH

LAST EDITED ON Apr-03-11 AT 11:26AM (MST)[p]Google Earth is severely limited in what it can open and/or import. Most of the Govt agencies publish .shp files which GE won't open. They are starting to publish KML files but the availability is still sporadic.

While not as easy to use, ArcGis Explorer will open most everything. Many agencies use some form of ESRI software in their GIS departments and ESRI developed ArcGis Explorer.

For your public/pvt overlay, simply Google the national forest gis data and it will pop up a link. That will get you to their GIS page. Scroll down for the "ownership" overlay, download and open the file.

BLM is generally in .shp format.
Google the state BLM GIS, that may or may not get you to a District link, see if they have KML/KMZ available, download it and see if that's what you are after.
I rarely use BLM data and am not well versed with it. They seem to have a lot of different data sets. Knowing which one to get is the key.
This is what the BLM looks like over a topo overlay.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/7842glgenrock_.jpg

Thank y'all for the links and suggestions much appreciated !!

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom