Blizzards and Turkey Hunting

Joe2Kool

Very Active Member
Got back Sunday from my annual Nebraska Merriams hunt. What a trip out there, and some really good hunting.

To start with, what was supposed to be 35 degrees, high winds, and rain on the way out turned in to 30 degrees. That made for blizzard conditions. To make a long story short, the first pic is the couple, with their 4 yr old, from Rapid City SD that was originally from NC, about 30 minutes from where I spent the first 15 years of my life. They had been on vacation in 80 degree NC and flown back to, not sure, maybe Denver? The airlines lost their luggage so they were wearing shorts and t-shirts. They were renting a car and planning to drive to RC, and ended up off the road, stuck. Our tow straps were handy, and luckily, I didn't have to back up far with the trailer to get them back on the road. Anyway, they and a several other vehicles followed these TN Hillbillys the next 30 miles in these conditions. Now I know what it's like for the lead sled dog!

Back to the turkey hunting, we stayed in the first morning but went out that evening. Short version, birds were very responsive to our calls this year. Greg called one in Sunday afternoon. And I called one in the next morning. Well, he and his hens left the roost headed south. I was on the north side of the roost but after 2 hours and about 2 miles, I was in front of them and was able to call one in.

Had several other good opportunities throughout the week but not able to close the deal. Overall, killed one bird apiece and had opportunities almost every day.

I'm going to submit this, then post the pics in a follow-up.. If you zoom in on the third pic, you can see the birds roosted just after sunset.

The last pic is of birds on the roost. Oh, we like to eat well on our trips! :D :D

IMG_0572[1].JPG

IMG_0577[1].JPG

IMG_0581[1].JPG

IMG_0590[1].JPG

IMG_0595[1].JPG

IMG_0604[1].JPG

IMG_0611[1].JPG

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom