Blackhorn 209

P

passiniton

For about 5 years now I have been shooting my CVA optima with the best load that worked for me. That load is 130gr of pyrodex with Remington Clean Bore 209 primers behind Hornady SST 250Gr bullets. It has worked for me. Recently I have been doing some research on Blackhorn 209 power I was wondering what is everyone who has shot Blackhorn 209 feelings towards the powder vs. other options out there. I'm really considering switching to it. If anyone has any loadsfor this power they would like to share that would be great too. Always thanks for everyone?s input. CJC

It's good stuff!!

Id recommend looking at all the threads in the muzzy forum. Lots of reviews and loads people are shooting can be found there.

I have shot something similar to what you are, and I have tried the buckhorn 209.
I saw no reason to switch from the pyrodex pellets. Did not perform better or shoot better. Of course cleaner, but, dirty is dirty. I do a wet and dry between each shot anyhow.

Blackhorn 209 chronographs much faster than pyrodex or triple 7. It costs more but it is my go to powder. Very consistent and accurate. It is corrosive however.

+1 deadibob. I used triple 7 for a lot of years with inconsistency and a dirty mess after 2 or 3 shots. I had a traditions ML that would only shoot 3 shots with pellets and it was plugged. You would need a sledge to get the slug down the tube. Started using 209 and never looked back. Could push slugs in with ease after 10 shots. Much more accurate as well.

If your gun/breechplug will shoot it, it is worth trying. 110-115 gr would be equivalent to what you are shooting now. And IMO, the biggest reason to use it is that you don't have to swab between shots. I have shot as many as 30 times at the range without swabbing once with no loss in accuracy. As far as being corrosive, any powder can be corrosive. However, in my stainless Knight barrel, I have left it for more than a month, and it cleaned up fine with no rust.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I have used it ever since it came out and i will never change back to the others. It is very very accurate and i have had no mis fires with it. I use 100grains with 195 gr barnes in my 45 cal knight disc extreme. Last year at 100yds 3 shots i could cover with silver dollar. very accurate stuff. also with that load i can hold dead on out to 200yds. Once you make the change you will see for your self what i am talking about. great stuff.

I bought a new gun 2 years ago and have been using it from day 1, very happy with it. But a couple of friends have had trouble making the switch, one had a misfire last year on an elk. Starting with a very clean breech plug seems to be important. I also use magnum primers, which also helps. Look at the BH209 website for some guidance.

Dang fine powder. Load a 150 gr charge of BH and your grand kids shoulder will hurt. 100 grains goes a long ways. Easy to clean, muliple shoots between swabbing, doesn't rust up a barrel over night, shoot well in most guns, and groups great with multiple bullets and charges.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Great stuff! I used to shoot 777 and pyrodex (and still do use 777 where 209 isn't legal). There's no comparison, IMO. 209 is much cleaner and easier to use.

>Dang fine powder. Load a 150
>gr charge of BH and
>your grand kids shoulder will
>hurt. 100 grains goes a
>long ways. Easy to clean,
>muliple shoots between swabbing, doesn't
>rust up a barrel over
>night, shoot well in most
>guns, and groups great with
>multiple bullets and charges.
>
>"Courage is being scared to death
>but saddling up anyway."

Never load 150gr of bh209. 120gr is Max!

I know it was hard to come by last year. I went to 8 or 9 places that usually carry it, all were out of stock. A buddy grabbed the last one for me at sportsmans in st george. So don't wait until the last minute. If you see it buy it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom