Black Canyon; 30th year

BeanMan

Long Time Member
The old body is heading to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison tomorrow for the 30th anniversary trip. My little Brother and I have gone every year for a long time on his birthday weekend. Hope the rain in the forecast goes away, it's a tough enough hike.

Cheers,

Bean

Brian,

They don't allow dogs in the National Park section that we like to camp and fish in. Spark will have to stay home. I'll hope to get some good pictures which don't look exactly like the ones I've posted before.

Hope you have a great trip Fred!
Would be really cool if you would do a video skydriving in the Black Canyon! :)

PC, sounds like Beanman served you old stale Coors beer. My Cuz would call him a plick for doing that to a friend.

RELH

Bean,
Have fun and be safe. You're not allowed to injure yourself before you go on your elk hunt next month, so be careful!

The trip went well, especially the 2800 vertical foot climb out with full packs in a driving rainstorm. I'm kinda tired. We had 3 miles of river to ourselves, again.

One of Friday's fish

Another 'Bow, it's nice to see them making a comeback.

Here's where the Gunnison river almost disappears under rock and marks the upper limit of where we fish from this camp.

Looks like some fine fishing!
I will be driving past part of the Black Canyon on our way out Fred, cannot wait to take in the beauty of it!
Thanks for sharing the photos!!

Mark,

The Black Canyon is worth the short side trip for you. I think it is one of the most scenic places in Colorado. There aren't many places that match it. Take the short (300 yards) walk out to the 'Chasm View' overlook and you will be looking down on where we go to fish.

Man what a view!
Is this Chasm View along 50 on my in from the East?
Dad was out there in '70 and to this day one of the things he mentions most about that hunt is the Black Canyon and how aew inspiring it was for him. In fact thinking about it right now, I believe he has a photo that looks very similar to this one you have posted. I will have to dig it up and compare.

Nice trip Fred, looks way too rough for me but good on you that you guys are still doing it.

Did you try some of those lures i sent you? Nice fish, Perfect!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Joey,

I've used your lures here and there. When I spin in the canyon I'm a one lure man, Rapala Shad Rap SR5 deep runner.

Thanks Fred! :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Bean, I have packed fishing camps in down the UTE with horses several times.
I used to pack Rafts and frames down the Chucker. Pump them up and rig them. Then the Boss would walk in with the clients. They called it the ?cast and blast? When they saw chucker?s they would pull in and walk them up. The bad time was when I had to tie the horses up at the top of the Chucker, drive the boss?s truck to the 92 bridge above Delta for the relay and hitch hike back to Chucker?. Then load up and drive back to Gunny.. My good looks did not help me catch rides. Long time ago but I think it was a 26 hour day.. I like the pictographs both native Indian and early pioneer on the Ute trial.
Thanks for the pictures.

Tomichi,

I hit the Chukar, Ute, Duncan, and Bobcat trails every now and again. I do think the fishing is better upstream in the National Park, the routes are much harder and keep more people out.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom