Bizzare hobbies/pet projects

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-09 AT 08:38AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-09 AT 07:37?AM (MST)

Let's hear some bizzare hobbies outside the hunting some of you guys do. We've seen tales of one among us who derives pleasure from chasing down poisonous reptiles known as rattlesnakes. (fun??) :) and a few others from time to time. Those of you who do weird things tell us what you do and what makes you tick. Jumping from perfectly good airplanes, spending large sums of money to maintain saltwater reef tanks, metal detecting, late night cow tipping. What are some of the things that some of us do that makes others question our sound judgment and metal culpability. :) Even if they are not deemed 'extreme' by societal standards. Model airplanes, rock hounding and stuff of that nature.

Me I kinda fall into the jack of all trades and master of non forcing me to live vicariously through the hobbies to follow. :) I keep a small saltwater reef but it is a pathetic specimen to what others probably have.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I never really wanted to do it, but my dad, who has more coins than you can imagine, started by giving me some silver and gold eagles. Now I can say I'm a bit into collecting coins. My dad is more into to gold and silver, I like that too, but I also like the old stuff. I also like to collect old bottles and other random antiques.

After hunting, my next addiction is arrowheads....and related trash that Native Americans have left in the West.

I don't go anywhere without seeking information about old Indian camps, etc.

I can make some pretty nice points, but I would rather find a junky one than make a perfect one myself.

Now, don't sic the ethics police on me about picking up artifacts, I know it is against the law and I would never keep one I found in the boonies.............the #1 stupid law, in my opinion.

and related trash that Native Americans have left in the West.

THE ONLY TRASH THEY LEFT WAS YOU.......

Really????.......and just exactly what would you call it?

After any society is through using something and it is discarded, it is known as trash.....at least in our language.

And just exactly how did this become a "spank me" statement? Did I slap some Native Indian nerve?

I doubt seriously that you appreciate my finds nearly as much as I do, from a cultural standpoint,.......especially if you are a typical Native American.

Sorry Julie!

Long before i found MonsterMuleys and became a interested contributor, i had become obsessed with adding nice pieces of vintage fishing memorabilia to my collections. Mostly Bass lures, any kind really, that are still on the store card or in the paperwork and colorful cardboard box that they came in, were/are my biggest passion, also most money invested, in this area if interest.

I also love the "older" Fenwick brown fiberglass trout sized rods, have collected over a dozen different sizes and styles still in the original rod sock and tube. Fly rods, more than i ever could use and neat misc stuff stuffed in old tackle boxes to the point of not even knowing what is where.

Like rifles, handguns, and shotguns, once to start acquiring, it's easy to feel that you can never have too many or too much.

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-09 AT 01:06PM (MST)[p]Nick

My grandmother had an indian roll number and she was born west of the Mississippi River and I took no offense to your post. But leave the Creek, Choctaw and Chickamauga artifacts alone.
4b02f85f5c38a2e7.jpg

Stinky

The whiskey comment is totally inappropriate.

Ransom

>and related trash that Native Americans
>have left in the West.
>
>
>THE ONLY TRASH THEY LEFT WAS
>YOU.......

Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed...

So far this is the oldest I have ever been.

OK----here's my weird hobby.....Took an Entomology class in College many many moons ago and thoroughly enjoyed it...so I still dabble in it when I see a neat critter every now and then.
4b030d1017093d62.jpg

arrowhead hunting is also my second to hunting. I have quite a few neat scrapers, points, knifes and grinders over the past few years.

I would like to think my job is my hobby and hunting as my profession:)

my Dad is big into antique woodworking tools. Hand planes, rulers etc.

Longun,

I am a bit of an Entomophile as well. I started collecting butterflies at an early age and end up with a degree in it. I no longer work specifically in entomology but I do collect a bit still. I started working on a western Colorado aquatic insect collection last spring after my brother pushed me into fly fishing.

Bean

thats pretty cool shedfinder!!! i like to visit/find old ghostowns, look for indian artifacts and have a big coin colletion.

I am always screwing around with some new idea or project.

Right now I am tinkering with a logpole wine rack.....

It is ready for the final sanding and then some poly stain...

Robb

My new hobby came outta my wifes va-jaja about 10 weeks ago.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-09 AT 05:47PM (MST)[p]Back in the 1960s I started collecting old paper shotgun shells. They are in an old cedar chest and I haven't even looked at them in probably 10 years. Thanks for reminding me. I knew I had a hobby, just couldn't remember what it was.:)

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

Hardway that's dad poetry right there dude!! Congrats on the little one :) that'll be a hell of a hobby when he/she is bustin rabbits with the 22 }>

~Z~

I find myself welding when I have the time. I seem to build things out of steel that people would normally build out of wood.

?Life is like a ten speed bike. Most of us have gears we never use!?

would you believe I shoot a bow outside of hunting season?

I also like to fish. i fish a lot! Every job I go to around the world I try and catch a native fish. One of these days ill have to put all the photos in a scrap book.

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Archery is a year round commitment!!

Trapping, messing with the welder building or fixing things, tinker around with any number of things, garden a bit in the summer, ski (nordic) and snowshoe a bit in the winter, chase and catch the wife year 'round...

>I used to be an avid
>bird watcher in my back
>yard...
>
>
>
>UTROY
>Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

LMMFAO....roy

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

This has been my new hobby for the past 5 weeks and it is a full time hobby at that.

4b0406e13e8d6ba0.jpg

I forgot how much energy puppies have especially Aussies.

I also collect old shot shell boxes and Winchester model 70's.

So far this is the oldest I have ever been.

70 beauty of a pup!! did you get her from Harts? I wondered how your search ended up. Looks like a lot of fun!!

Got her from a different breeder in Texas. Great pup, smart as hell, full of pi$$ and vinegar. She picks up on behaviors very quick, only have to show her a few times and she has it down. Follows hand signals now, got her jumping about 3' over a yard stick and she catches Frisbees pretty consistently. By the way she is 16 weeks old so I think she is doing well. She keeps me moving thats for sure and she is a lot of fun. Now if I could just get her to flush and retrieve pheasant....

Jim, you might think that's funny, but I have a cousin in Smith Valley, Nevada that will put his heeler up against any purebred bird dog.

He won't point, but he hunts upland birds and ducks as well as my Britt!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-09 AT 09:57PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-09 AT 09:56?PM (MST)

I enjoy shootin the occasional yotis maximus and rippin some gills!!
4b04cfaa4e0eb6e6.jpg

4b04d03b4ffb95a0.jpg

TICK
TALL, WIDE, AND HANDSOME

Nick, I believe you can train them for whatever you want them to do, they are eager to please and very easy to train. When I was a kid I my dad would take me to Indian Valley by Paso Robles dove hunting and their was a guy that had two wire haired terriers that would retrieve dove all day long, funniest thing you have ever seen.

I also have a cousin that lives in Smith Valley. I'm sure they know each other. They really kill some nice bucks there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom