Bivy tent or not?

Wiszard

Long Time Member
Is a bivy tent a part of your regular gear when you go out on a backpack trip or do you not use one and just sleep under the stars? Obviously, if the weather is bad, you'd use one. What if the weather is good (30's at night)? Thanks.

Steve

I usually take my MSR backpacking tent...And a good self inflating pad...The extra weight is worth a good nights sleep..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

in most places your packing in, weather can come in -unexpected, anytime. bivy sacks are light and the first time you get "caught " with out something, you'll wish you had brought at least a bivy sack.

i used to sleep under the stars. one time a snow storm, THAT WASN"T CALLED FOR, came in and i got soaked that night. woke up at 2:00 am and built a fire out of a pitch stump, and as soon as it broke daylight i had to get the heck out of there. that sucked- but it wont happen again.

I use a small two man tent, 5lb carry weight. There is enough room for me and my gear inside. The extra few pounds in tent weight is worth it to me to have a dry place if weather moves in. I can sit in my dry tent and eat cold food!

I always bring my Clarks Jungle Hammock. It is 3 lbs and is comfortable to sit in during the afternoon when I need a break or through a big storm. The rainfly gives more than enough room to keep my stuff dry. Wouldnt be caught out without it!

respect my authorita

I've done both....with age and wisdom (AND llamas), I ALWAYS take a small tent. Weather will change and one must stay dry.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

I use a bivy w/ a go-lite tarp for added protection or shade in midday. Bivys aren't for everyone, but they work for me.

+1 Bman

I use a military bivy and a tarp. Even in nasty weather you can keep warm and dry.

Norkal

INVEST IN LEAD FOR THE TIMES AHEAD!

Used both the bivy and 2-man tent. Both will keep you warm but now I carry the extra few lbs and pack a 2-man tent only for the insurance my gear will stay dry and in good condition. Had a bad experience with leaving my rifle and spotter outside the tent in a snow storm.

Weight should be a consideration. But like it was stated above, the minimum should be a bivy sack. I use a tarptent during the warmer months (very light weight 1.5lbs) and a MSR Hubba HP (1 man tent 3lbs) into the fall.

JR

7061014_medium_web_view.jpg

For less than 3 lbs you can make it through the toughest of storms for a few days. I can put everything inside it if it is pouring down or snowing, except for my bow. I've been in every kind of weather and it has held up fine. My pack for about 4 days is 40 lbs +/- a pound or two. It takes too long to get to the good hunting on foot, so why risk an early exit to base camp? Won't leave base camp without it even if it is sunny and 90. Just my $.02.

HK

Usually a 1 man tent, though a bivy is great for short trips with good weather. Hunting with your camp on your back and sleeping wherever you end up in the evening works very well. It's much more difficult to do this with a tent, since you have to set up, take down, find a flat spot big enough.

I go either way. I like to carry my Big Agnes seedhouse 1. It's a good one-man tent. But I spend lots of nights laying on a 9X12 tarp, and I've been rolled up in that tarp trying to stay out of thunder showers many times. I really like the feeling of sleeping under the stars, but rain and bugs (mainly mosquitos) keep me in the tent more than I'd like.

Those cute little tents remind me too much of hot dog buns :)

I think it's great the stuff available now days! If i could do it over again, i'd have the best, or near, that could be had. Too many freezing cold nights sleeping under only what i or we were wearing takes some edge off the fun of the hunt.

Joey

Screw the bivy, go with the Marmot EOS 1 one man tent. Theres actually enough room to move around in it, there's a vestibule so you can store your pack out of the elements, its 90" long and only weighs 2.5 lbs. Enough said.

4afddbfa2842588e.jpg

I never leave home without the 1 man tent. You have no idea when the big thunder boomers will come crashing down. The mountains create there own weather. 9 times out of 10 you will need some sort of selter no matter what time of year!

ridgeline outdoors
blacks creek guide gear

LAST EDITED ON Feb-04-10 AT 05:49PM (MST)[p]>Screw the bivy, go with the
>Marmot EOS 1 one man
>tent. Theres actually enough room
>to move around in it,
>there's a vestibule so you
>can store your pack out
>of the elements, its 90"
>long and only weighs 2.5
>lbs. Enough said.
>
>
>
>
4afddbfa2842588e.jpg

i have the same tent, and LOVE IT! anymore, my bivy sack is getting used less and less.

Gotta take a tent. If not for weather then for mosquitoes. I like my MSR Hubba Hubba. It is a two man but if people go with me I tell them it is a one man. My wife or kid are the only ones I will cram in there with. It is less than 4 pounds and has room for all of my gear and myself. Deffinetly worth its wieght. I use to take a tarp only, but I got wet two too many times and eaten by bugs. The hubba hubba can be set up in as little time as a bivy.

The Marmot EOS 1 person tent is an decent tent. But I would like to know how you are getting yours at 2.5 lbs? I weighed mine from the factory and it is over 3 lbs with everything you need to actually set it up.

That is one thing to watch for when researching tents. A lot willl put the weight of the tent at say 2 lbs but by the time you add the poles, footprint, etc you are over 3 lbs pushing 4 lbs etc etc

For the money I would go with the Golite Shangri-La1. With everything its at a nice 2lbs. http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=370001110&mc=154&t=&lat=

It is cheaper than the Marmot EOS and I believe the MSR one someone else posted.

I don't like bivy sacks so I always try to tent it or tarp it.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-10 AT 05:53PM (MST)[p]looks pretty decent tent. is the 2 lbs including your treking pole to pitch it? it also seems { it could be just the picture} that it has a very small , almost un-usefull, vestubule(sp??). but it does seem light.

I guess I'm a tightass cause the bivi tents in pic 10 were about $50 if I remember right. I seal the rainfly every year with sealant. Total weight with two poles and two small stakes is just under 3 lbs. I've had them for almost 10 years and use them for several weeks of the season.

HK

The Shangri-La1 is 200 bucks for the tarp then another 75 for the nest. 275 to be bug free. Has anyone bought just the nest and used a tarp over the top of it? I think I am going to give that a try.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom