Bison Question???

elks96

Long Time Member
So I am trying to figure out the WY bison hunt situation. What I understand, is I pay to be put into the list. The list then set priority. Where name falls on the list is an indication if I will get a tag. If I do get a tag I pay for it when the hunt comes along and go hunting.

What I do not understand is:

1. What sort number in line can expect a tag? Is it the top 20? Top 30? Etc.

2. When does the actual hunt take place or will it varry?

3. What sort of success rates does the hunt have? I would assume relatively high since the bison come from the parks and do not have much to fear.

4. Could I archery hunt? Is Archery a separate draw?

Thanks a bunch. I know the cost is like $2500 so if anyone needs a kidney let me know!!!

I believe the bull tags average under 100. Last year was 88 maybe?
Then close to 200 cow tags I think.
I'm sure someone else can give more exact numbers

>I think you have to be
>in the top 20-25 as
>a non resident to have
>a shot (bull).

So is there a different pool for cow or is it all the same pool and bulls get pulled first and cows get pulled 2nd?

I think there is a different priority list for both. I believe you only have one choice, either bull or cow. Do a search on buffalo or bison on this forum. There is a lot of past info on non-resident draw numbers.

Last year there were 22 nonresident bull tags given out, I was #19. Season will likely run from the middle of August through the first week of January. Success rate is going down every year I beieve, the bison are getting extremely smart as to the park boundrys. I made 3 trips over to hunt before I got mine. Dont count on an easy hunt.

but if they give out 22 and your number 27 you could still have a chance. if people drop out or if some bison come out of the east gate and need shot.......

If people drop out it wont do you any good, you can show up on the last day of the hunt and buy the tag and hunt so they dont know who is not hunting until it is over. So if you arent serious about spending the $2506 on the tag dont apply, all you are doing is possibly ruining someone else's chance who is serious.

They dont know if they are going to buy the tag on the last day of season or not, I talked to someone buying their tag on the 28th of December. By the time they know how many people are going to actually buy the tag the season is over.

If someone contacts them for some reason and officially drops out early I suppose it could happen that they could move down the list but I dont think they do that. I sure wasnt giving my number up.

When I drew, if I recall correctly, I had to pay for the license up front. That way, they knew they could count you in. I had to purchase it before Sept 1. However, my time on the refuge wasn't until December.

I think that is what they will end up going back to, having to front the money for the tag. I payed for the tag on my first trip over to hunt in mid October.

Previous comments are pretty accurate. I just thought I would add that your chances of harvesting a bull would be greater than a cow because they tend to hang out by themselves so there are not as many eyes on you. With that said its still possible to get a cow as well. I shot my cow this year with my bow at 17.6 yards. The hunt was much harder than I had expected. People think that they are like cows and just walk straight at them and ruin your stock. Kinda hard to work around them but its possible. There are special areas on the refuge that are bow only and some that are limited range only ( muzzleloader/ bow only). Hope I helped.

Yes,you can archery hunt them if you draw(with the proper archery license purchased separately).My buddy killed his bull with his bow a couple years ago.

So if I go cow and kill it... Is that my once in lifetime animal? Or does that only count on a bull.

I am putting my wife and I in the draw hoping one of us will draw. Knowing that she is lucky as ##### I figure she will draw and I will ahve to work extra to finance...

I would think it over before putting in, My wife drew a cow tag a few years ago, it was a waste of 400 dollars and a bunch of gas money. One of the worst hunts I have been on.
The only huntable bison we saw were on the second to last day of the season, them and all the rest of the hunters, it was just people and game and refuge cops, a firing line when the bisin headed out, people shooting them in the hump as you could see them flinch when they were hit, A joke I tell you.

Neat animals, but a poor way to hunt them.
Success on cows was 20% that year, other than a pretty sunrise one morning, it was a waste of time

Cows are very hard to hunt. Like mentioned above they have figured out the system and when the shooting starts they head for the park. The end of the season is when most cows are harvested. Bulls are harvested in small numbers through out the season as they wander off the park.

I'm not sure how they are going to change the requirements of buying a license yet. I've heard a couple different options.

First, like mentioned above, the actual paying for the license upfront. Then getting refunds if you didn't draw. Second would be more like the system now, but you would have to purchase the license before a set date. Then anyone that didn't buy the license by that date would loose their opportunity and it would go to the next person in line.

As the system is set now, if you shoot a cow or a bull, it counts as your once in a lifetime.

py

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom