Bison in Book Cliffs, Wild Horse Bench

Sherlock

Got lucky and drew this as a random tag.

It's 'any legal weapon', and had someone suggest I try to arrow a bull. Seems very intriguing, but not sure if particularly safe or effective on a bison.

What do you think?

And...if you are familiar with this hunt/unit...any other suggestions?

Thanks.

I killed a wild bison with a bow in 2011 (Wyoming). I was close to a lot of bison but getting a arrow in one was tricky. There defense mechanism is to turn and face you. Because their head is impenetrable it is a pretty good defense mechanism. You need a 70+lbs bow a heavier arrow & a good quality fixed blade broad head. My arrow only went in about 10" with a next to perfect 30yd lung shot and he still went 3/4 of a mile with no blood trail.
The other thing to keep in mind is bison spoil very quickly they need to be completely skinned within 5-6hrs or they will spoil. Its not like a elk that you can let sit overnight and still recover some meat.
I think if your a bow hunter you'd be crazy not to try it. I'm not a purist and had a rifle close to me the whole hunt.
As to safety I wouldn't be a bit worried.

If It's 'any legal weapon' then grab your 45-70 and go huntin!A bison tag does not come along very often.A critter that big can shrug off a shot from a 45-70 or a Magnum Blaster if the shot is not placed with proper care.Don't make life harder or more complicated for yourself.

Indians had top of the line compounds or they wouldn't of killed any either! Lmfao if you like bow hunting go kill one good luck hope to see some pics.
hornkiller.jpg

Well I faced this dilemma with my moose tag. Really wanted to stick one with my bow I hunted with it for a few days and as I struggled turning up moose I switched to the rifle after a few days as to not blow my chance if a good one turned up. Anyway. Id say keep your rifle close because u don't wanna blow a oil hunt.

I've been along on a bison hunt before. Saw one taken with a 7mm Remington Magnum, and the other with an old-school 45-70. The first thing to consider is shot placement. The bison taken with the 7mm was shot high and forward, in the neck/spine (as instructed by the guide). Dropped it clean, and they put three more rounds into the neck/spine area to finish it off. The other was shot right behind the shoulder with the 45-70. The thing didn't flinch, just ran off with the herd. Followed the herd and picked out the bull as he was dripping blood. Watched him for more than 60 minutes and he never seemed to even notice he was losing blood. Finally had to get close and shoot him two more times high in the neck/spine area, which dropped him both times, but he got up both times as well. Finally he laid down and we walked up on him and put a few more into that spot to kill him.

They are tough animals. While a bow shot can kill them, I'm not sure if you want to track a slightly wounded bison across the Book Cliffs. I know someone that got to shoot one with his Muzzy (cow tag) a few years ago. Solid hit in the vitals (like you might shoot other animals) and the thing bled for more than three miles before the blood gave out. He never saw her or the herd again... tag soup.

I'd recommend having a rifle very close by, even on your shoulder while carrying your bow. If one gets close without being in archery range, I think I'd be taking it with the rifle.

Congrats on an awesome tag. If I see the bison out there while scouting my deer hunt, I'd be happy to point you in the right direction... :)

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Most People/Hunters Ain't got a Clue where to Aim on a Buffalo!

Getting the Perfect Shot can be Tricky!

Do You wanna borrow My 375 RUM?

[font color="blue"]HUNTIN,FISHIN,AND LOVIN EVERY DAY,I WANNA SEE
THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

hit me up day or two before you come hunt I will keep eye out for them I work out there . better hunt during the week than weekends a lot of weekend people out including the tribe guides hit it hard Friday trew sunday.

Thanks, 'Why'. I'll do that. Is it best to just post up a message here on the public board for you when the time comes?

>shoot very forward
>
>
>
bison%20frame_zpszu7uc7jh.jpg

bowhunts Pic shows exactly why people Wound & Lose & Shoot the sshhitt out of Bison & can't make Clean Kills!

The Front Leg has just about gotta be forward to get a Heart Shot!

They're a Weird Built Animal!

[font color="blue"]HUNTIN,FISHIN,AND LOVIN EVERY DAY,I WANNA SEE
THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom