Bison hunt

R

RIMROCK338

Well I'm loading up old Rutnbuck and we are heading off Thursday
to the Henery's for my bison hunt,I hope he has polished up on his campfire stories, I will let you all know how it turns out......RIMROCK

The Henery's will never be the same again! Good luck guys! Be safe! When you get one, call Bobcatbess. He like packing out heavy loads!

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

Good luck. There is supposed to be a little weather change this weekend with decreasing temps. Ought to be good.

Took him long enough to get a permit! I think like 20 years. So we have had plenty of time to plan this. And we still don't have any plans except we are going.

Rutnbuck

> Took him long enough
>to get a permit!
>I think like 20 years.
> So we have had
>plenty of time to plan
>this. And we still don't
>have any plans except we
>are going.
> .
>
>Rutnbuck

Rut, if you haven't left yet, here is a map of the Henerys so you'll know where to go at least.

4af368457887ad5d.jpg

We are back. Thanks eel for the map. Only problem when I printed the map. I had it upside down so it took us a couple extra days to get down there! Stay tuned full story. I need to get the sand out of my eyes.

Rutnbuck

I'm not surprised that you guys got one. I am surprised that you found your way home however. Way to go!

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-09 AT 07:11PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-09 AT 07:10?PM (MST)

Thanks Eelgrass, rutnbuck has all rights to the footage and the story so when he recovers from some of my nail biting wheeling coming down off Ellen in the snow he will scribe on...oh and what happens in Hanksville stays in Hanksville WOW that Germman chick was a fox and soooo far away from home....RIMROCK

LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-09 AT 09:47PM (MST)[p] Redog these girls were from Germany and Maine! That is anouther story. I never could understand what they were doing on the Henrys in Nov. None the less the hunt did have high lights
We left here Thursday night. Set up camp on a sandy ridge where the wind always blows. Rimrock in a nice camp/cargo trailer with beds and such. I had my pup tent and a camp host the chipmunk.
We proceeded to do some Fri morn scouting. Holy smokes 4 wheelers galore 26 tag holders and every tag holder except Rimrock had 8-16 helpers/scouts/mules/horses and one drunk chick. You would think that at least one of them would have known 4 wheelers spook the hell out of Bison.
About the Henrys they are not what one would call a walk in the park. With wind blown peaks rising 11000 ft. from the valley floor of 4000 ft. From cut up deserts and mesas covered with Cedar and Pinion Pine with names like Tarantula Mesa that have 100's of Fingers and Rimrock canyons with cliffs descending 100's of feet to alpine basins above Ponderosa Covered timberline. A lot of freaking rocks and more rock formations. Places where a pack mule would put his tail between his legs a run. I am suprised guys like Zim and Woodruff hunter made it out alive.
Well we scouted all day Friday no Bison a few deer and that damn chipmunk in my tent. We retreated to camp ate and had a drink made plans for the morning. Rimrock checked out the .340 Wyb.
A few pics of the country! Will be back have to resize pics.
4b037c4c15c41ca8.jpg

Rutnbuck

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-09 AT 10:31AM (MST)[p] Early to rise and off like a flock of Turtles. And the hunt is on. We didn't get out any to early. Did a lot of glassing and trying to cut tracks in some of the canyons and did a lot of glassing from the high country. No luck by mid day. We saw a ton of Deer with a few really nice bucks. We were stopped by the fish cops and they checked us out mostly Rimrock. Ya know how he looks like a Pedi file case. They informed us they only knew of a couple of buff taken. Thanks to the early cow hunt. The bison had been pushed hard and were off in La. La. land of no access.
Every one we came in contact with were all in the same boat no buffs. We run into a guy who told us his buddy killed a bull and ran a heard of about 15 out of a canyon.
Knowing the country pretty well and thinking where they might end up as the day progressed. I suggested to Rimrock we head down and hope this heard might try to sneak out just before dark.
I asked Rimrock if he were a Buffalo where would he be under these conditions! He said "in somebody?s freezer because he would be out in one of the lush meadows eating"
No sooner then we arrived at the possible ambush site. I catch a glimpse of buff 1/2 mile away in a little pocket milling on a hillside. Glassed them and figured there were a couple of bulls out of 15-20 but they weren't standing still. We jump out of the truck and take off hoping to get close enough for a shot. We take off hiking and so did the buff. So we jump back in the truck and head down the road hoping to get ahead of the buff.
A mile or so down the road we get set up and here they come. When we first see them 1000 yards off headed in our direction at a trot/walk/run pace. Rimrock is set up with a good rest. The buffs were moving pretty quick but we had time to pick out the best of 3 bulls. The last bull of the heard but as the distance closes 450 yds he keeps working up in the heard. Not wanting to take a chance of hitting two buffs Rim had to wait. The lead cow stopped and the rest of the heard gathered around her. Tension is building knowing we were running out of shooting lane because they were just about to the trees.
They take off at a trot and the big bull drops back from the heard. I am thinking it is now or never. Now Rimrock is a shooter knowing this is a no brainer for him. I make the mistake of telling him lead a couple feet for the distance and the fact they are trotting. The .340 Wyb. sings and wacko the rock inches in front of the bull. The bull stopped just as he pulls the trigger. I should have kept my mouth shut. Sorry man!
The bull bolts and he is in the middle of the heard before Rimrock can chamber a round. They make safety of the trees. There was a couple bye standers watching and replied what a shot. Rimrock said "Yeah it was such a great shot I just got to watch my liver and onions run down the canyon". He didn't say a word to me but he had every right to slap me.
Thinking we could catch them because they ended up running in the same direction as the road we take off. But the Bison Goddess wouldn't have such nonsense! She threw VW size boulders on the road from years gone past.
The Bison goddess decides who comes and who goes! Never under estimate her. One such time I seen her throw my truck off the road in to a canyon. She kept me there for 2 days in January.
Down the canyon they go!

4b042d88511fc400.jpg

4b042e675457d9de.jpg

The bison Goddess. wasn't happy some SOB shot her between the eyes.

4b042f0756400d3a.jpg

Rutnbuck

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-09 AT 10:14PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-09 AT 10:06?PM (MST)

Sorry I was busy had to catch up on MM. Day 2-3 I was educated in how fast Rimrock can drive a Yamaha Rhino? Where they will and won't go. and where not to find arrowheads or Bison. Picking Brigham Tea and fighting with that damn chick monk. Every where we went I seen him. There were Pinion Pine nuts everywhere but that damn chipmunk seemed to get all the big ones. Great timing all the nuts had fallen out of the Pine Cones they covered the ground! It was a great crop this year.
We picked out a couple spots to check out and only find out some one killed one right before us or right behind us. Early one morning we cut some tracks walking down the road at the break of dawn. No one had been down the road. Kewl they were committed down a narrow cliff sided canyon they have to stay on the road. They broke out in the open and left the road. Well we were trying to locate the heard knowing they must be close. While we were glassing the hill side some lucky hunter kills one 50 yards off the road about 500 yards down the road. He had a cow run in front of a bull. He ended up killing a cow. I checked it out he was a happy camper. Either sex tag! Congrats to him.
On ward we go. We checked out several springs for tracks Nota Clue. We knew of about 3 herds but for us to get to them would be next to impossible. And I refuse to pack one more then 6 miles.
The deer heard kept us consumed Ah all the big bucks. We were able to watch 3 big bucks sizing each other up and a couple lesser bucks fighting. We seen one buck 50' in front of the truck limping along. I figured he had been run out of the heard by a tougher younger buck he was hurting. We tried to get pics but it wouldn't happen. This buck was a straight 4 point pushing 40 inches. What a sight.
8 hrs later that day I regained confidence in the Rhino. The heater in that ATV isn't worth a $hitz!
Due to two bad backs Rim with a dislocated disk in his back we had to stick pretty close to the road. Storms blowing in we head to camp.
We tried to have a camp fire but the wind and dry conditions kept us from sitting around the camp fire. A couple red beers/ with chili dogs, Rum and Coke and little guitar! That was all we needed. We were off to la. La. land. I think we stayed up till 3 in the morning. We wrote a few songs about the Henrys. Sang and what happens in the Henrys stays in the Henrys.

4b04cff94f0749e9.jpg

Hope ya can see this buck
4b04d3f467159202.jpg

4b04d24c5cfc88d4.jpg

Rutnbuck

You got to see some nice bucks for sure.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-09 AT 10:36AM (MST)[p] Well I have been dragging my feet I need to get this done I have a few more pics to post. I don't know what is wrong with Rimrock! His hunt his story. Has anyone seen him? Maybe he is still on the Henrys. I know when it was time to leave I left him in a cloud of dust never to look back. Maybe I should have stuck around I knew he was out of Gas in his rig.
Well day 5 I think. Maybe I am getting Altzimers or Old-timers. What were we talking about anyway?
We decide to take the Rhino! Yee Ha! I get to drive. Well we came to this steep hill and Rimrock says ?Your not are ya?" Oh hell yeah we will be ok!! Just buckle up and hang on. I know better then to try and get away with! WE WILL BE OK! Up the hill we go 20-30-40 mph. All is fine till we get to near the top ya know the steep part. Rocks flying tires spinning you think we would have been in a World Class hill climb. Rhino digs in we stop. If looks could kill I would be dead. Rim would have cold knocked me but he wouldn't let go of the Rhino and neither could I. White knuckles for sure. After looking at each other dumb founded and speechless for about an hour not wanting to get out or let go. I back up about 1 inch then two inches. About 3 hours trying to get down off the hill. Hunger pain set in or I would be dead.
So much for the morning hunt. We take off to the top of Mt. Ellen. I don't know why everyone knows it is to steep for Buffalo. And the air is to thin for them to breath. We looked around for the steepest most rugged canyon on the Mountain. And sure enough down in the ugliest part of the canyon about a mile away we spy a heard of about 14. Really nice bull in this heard! Knowing it was no place for us to try and pack one out we never attempted a plan of attack. But none the less we hung around hoping they might move. With a storm moving in and clouds obstructing our view. We take off looking for lower elevation. It was hard to leave that Bull. Clouds wind snow temps drop.
We drop down off the mountain it is getting late and we are running out of daylight. Rim spies a heard of 5-8 milling on a hill side 1/2 mile off the road. We come up with a plan. I would hike on the back side of the ridge they are feeding on and come up over the ridge and drive them down to where Rim sits in Ambush. I wanted to stay low on the back side of the ridge. I work my way up the canyon however the bottom of the canyon developed cliffs below me. I was forced to stay higher on the ridge. I am thinking I am getting close when yikes right in front of me stands a cow and calf 150 yds away. Not able to get below the bison due to the cliff and push them back over the hill or down the canyon. I back into the trees and thinking now what. The wind swirls and up the ridge they go never to be seen again. She either seen or smelt me. I would have never thought so. Not at 150 yds away.
The storm is building. Rim wanted to move his trailer to lower country. That night the wind was howling big time I couldn't sleep because every gust of wind went under my tent and air mattress and lifted me off the ground. Thought the tent was going to blow over. So at 2 in the A.M. we pick up camp and move to lower ground. Go figure we move camp and the weather turns off nice.
I had to leave and go home to take care of some personal business. I head to SLC only to be back by eve. 500 miles later. Rimrock headed to town for gas and took care of a few things around camp.

4b06d3382ab55454.jpg

4b06d3742bb2e954.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-09 AT 12:12PM (MST)[p] . 7 days from daylight to dark. We head out and about an hour into the hunt we spot a couple bulls feeding on a hill side a mile and a half off the road. The plan knowing it is pretty tough to heard buffalo. They were in a canyon so it would be easy to drive them down the canyon to Rim sitting like a sniper on a rock. About the time I take off the bison started to walk feed up the canyon so no problem I just walk faster. I cross about 5 canyons only to realize the bison can walk faster up hill then I can run. I can't get ahead of them. Back to the drawing board. They are headed into thick cover miles from the road. Maybe they will come out this eve or in the morning. We cut tracks of a heard that had been walking down the road. Pesky little suckers walked over our tracks from a couple hrs. ago. We were unable to catch up to them.
Not many hunters now. Most had filled up or moved to other parts of the mountain.
We were talking with one fellow who was helping a guide who was guiding a 14 year old girl. Not sure who she was but rumor has it. Her dad bought her tag. And they had 14 horses and about 20 in camp trying to locate a big bull. She killed on day 5. She passed on a bull at 30-40 yds. Killed a really nice bull
By now a lot of the Buff had headed to no man's land where only horses can get to. Cave Flats, Swap Mesa, and a lot of the Wilderness Study on the back side of Pinnele, Stevens Canyon, and Swap canyon foot horse traffic only.
Day 8 knowing bison move a lot and maybe the two bulls we seen the day before might be out feeding. About an hour into the hunt sure enough we spot one of them a couple miles away. We take off trying to get above them. Wow I am thinking we are headed up the road and the road is headed in the same direction closing the distance. The further up the road we go the closer we get to the Buff. Holy Smokes we must be living right. There on the hill side about 600 yds off the road was the bull. I pull off the road Rimrock is already out gun in hand and has it in his scope. Dead rest across the back of the truck bison standing broad side. I ask ya want to shoot from here or try and get a little closer. I am watching in bino's and boom. I hate standing next to a gun with a muzzle break. My ears are still ringing. I hear it slap the bull and he hunches up. Bull is walking slowly I say slam him again. About then a different bull came into the picture. I watch bull 1 stumble and fall he went about 10 feet. Rim cycles 2nd round. Bull Down ye ha. Rim asks are you sure? Because the second bull came into view not knowing there were two. "Nope your hunts over". High 5's unable to see his bull on the ground because of deadfall we head to high ground. It took us a while to hike to it because of a canyon between us and the bull.
Fun and party is over. Rimrock unable to help much and had a hard time getting over to the bull because of a ruptured disk in his back did finally make it. Pics are in order and the tag. I proceed to gut skin and quarter this bull by my self not an easy task... I did make a new friend the crow. He would sneak in and swipe parts. About 5 hrs into the ordeal skinned and cut in half. Someone yells at me. "Looks like your doing fine" Ah ha the Bull Frog Fish Cop. I had been fighting this thing all day tired and sore. I said you're just in time. He said yeah I have my knife and pack. I couldn't believe it. One of the finest I had the pleasure to meet. He helped me finish quartering it. Then we filled our packs and away we went. I was hurting big time i.e.: bad back. He made it back to the truck before I and he headed back for more. I couldn't make another trip it was getting late. I needed food water and a rest. Figured I would get the rest in the morn. It was 4:30 and had been at it since first light. Well the Bull Frog fish cop insisted on going back he carried out 4 loads. Hats off to him. He was happy for us and what a blessing he was. Thanks buddy. I finished packing the rest the following morning. Have ya ever heard such a thing? We took a few more pics.
I think the Bison hunt is by far the best and to spend it with your best buddy or family is great. We had a great time. Thanks Rimrock for great times.
I will post some more pics but won't post any of Rimrock with out asking Rimrock if it is ok?

4b06e9392c7e612b.jpg

4b06e9d0326c33a5.jpg

Rutnbuck

Thats a great trophy. It's good to hear there are still people that are willing to help out a guy. That fish cop deserves an atta boy.

That is an awesome story and cool bull! Congrats! I would look up that DWR cops bosses and turn in a big thank you. He should be commended for being a solid individual. I have never heard of such a thing!

That's fantastic Rimrock! Big time congratulations! Beautiful bull. Thanks for the report Rutnbuck. Reminds me of the "let's tell a story" post.:)

It's great to see a couple of good buddies have a successful hunt. Sounded pretty tough though. That warden must have seen the same thing that I have seen in both of you. Both great guys!

Eel

Okay, now after RUTNBUCK and game warden have done all the hard work, my wife and I set to take care of all the work they created for us.

100_2471.jpg

oh, and another thing or two...If you younger guys have a good hunting buddy now, hold on to them. In the long run it's worth putting up with all their crap...Thanks RUT..and That fish cop was fantastic..I asked him to marry my daughter along with taking 20 plus guns as dowery; he said thanks for offering. So then I offered to buy him dinner, but he said he couldn't do it..he said all he wanted is if we ever found him in trouble to lend a helping hand...and thats the rest of the story....RIMROCK

Thanks for the read! Great story. Reminds me of my hunt there. Anyone who says hunting bison is like shooting cows in a corral has never hunted the Henry's. That fish cop sounds like a great guy. I've never seen such a thing.

Awesome! I've spent plenty of time trolling in Hanksville while hunting, never found any willing German chick's, lucky buggers!

Sounds like you tried to take the rhino above a certain old mine and got into trouble? you need a MULE for that climb!

IMG-9-1.jpg

I may have been available to help you old codgers out if'n you'd said something! good job. I hope I draw before I'm too old. You can always spot buff from the top of Ellen, but it takes a bit of balls and a lot of crazy to go after them!

IMG_0001-6-1.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom