Bison Draw

Zim

Very Active Member
Looks like WY bison will be the next drawing of any kind unless Colorado sheep is out early. Curious if they keep with the May 9th date. So who all here put in for bison with the new up front fee deal?

Member RMEF, Pope & Young Club, NRA, UWC & DP Hate Club

>Im not. don't know what I
>would do with all that
>meat

Very good question. I'm not worrying about it quite yet.

I'm in, but the better question is who put in last year, but passed this year due to the upfront payment.

I'm in. I cut out one "dinners out" per month for a year, and presto I'm in, with cash still in my pocket?

After taking a peek inside my freezer full of a 780# moose that I can't make a dent in, I won't be too disappointed if I fail to draw bison this year!

Am very interested in the 2014 draw stats though! Anybody have a guess? I think NR used to be around 4%. I'll guess it will go up to ~6%. What say you?

>I'm in. I cut out
>one "dinners out" per
>month for a year, and
>presto I'm in, with cash
>still in my pocket?

I'll respond since it looks like you are asking a question.

That works if you're a resident.
If you have to pay the NR fee then it adds up to the entire food bill for a full year!
Kind of different huh?
Zeke

Zim, I'd bet it will be over 10%. Those who are in have a bit better chance this year.
Good luck
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-14 AT 12:42PM (MST)[p]Are there processers around there that will pickup and process complete from the kill site? I know I read some think on here previous. Anybody calculate the typical cost of handling?

There is a company up there called Tag&Drag that will get the animal out for you. But I don't believe there is anybody that will do that, then process it for you. If I remember right it costs about $500.00.

py

Ya that's it. I had a moose tag in Jackson a few years ago, and I researched Tag&Drag then. For a solo guy like me it would be well worth it I think.

The g/f lives in China and is visiting me here 6 weeks this summer. She wants to go to Yellowstone during her stay. I'd hate to break the news to her if I drew! :)

Good luck everyone. I hope to see at least a couple MMers get tags.

I'm in too. Price of trying is actually cheaper than before (was $20, now it's only $14.00). And the results come out sooner.

No bison for me.

Doesn't look like all the talk to get people to drop out, had any real effect on those who planned to stay in with better odds.
When they drop the nonresident quota next year, or whenever, I think you will see a significant number of people pushing the idea for others to drop out, which if successful, will help improve the remainders odds.

I think I will stay in as a non resident at least until it gets like New Mexico.

Did i read the draw odds right, 100% draw odds for cow Bison (NR tags ). Should have put in for that.

>Did i read the draw odds
>right, 100% draw odds for
>cow Bison (NR tags ).
>Should have put in for
>that.

***Yep you did! 41 applicants for 45 tags. My sheridan, WY buddy drew a resident bull tag. People were talking earlier about the odds this year. It was 3.3% for a resident and 2.7% for NRs. That squashes the theory everyone had that the upfront fee would be helping the odds!

Congrats to those who drew.

Yeah the up-front fee theory was de-bunked. Average Joe is smarter than you think, and he has credit cards!

Thanks Robb,the more info i can get is really helpful. I have two buddies from Casper that drew in 2013 and i will be talking to them as well. Really looking forward to this hunt,been putting in for along time,and now that i'm retired i have the time to hunt them. I'm thinking some time in December,and maybe tag on a cow elk hunt as well with my son in law. If you could pm me with you're contact info. that would be appreciated. Thanks..

Congrats to those who drew. Make sure to make good plans for meat care!

For the rest of us NR, 2nd prize not so bad $2,500!

I and a buddy draw cow NR

If anyone has info please send me a PM, I am waiting to get maps and more info before I dive into research more.

For me at least, as a NR I applied for a bull tag, because I thought it would be an interesting hunt for the money. I did not apply for a cow because I can do 2-3 cow buffalo hunts on a big ranch for the same price, and I will not have to fight the crowds to do so.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom