Binoculars with laser rangefinders

• Thread starter HardcoreOutdoor
  • Start date
H

HardcoreOutdoor

I have been looking for a high quality binocular to use as a neck glass that has a built in laser rangefinder. There are not many choices in that small niche. In fact, there are really just two to consider, the Leica Geovid and Zeiss RF, but I am hearing some underground rumblings that something from Swarovski may be in the works.

Anyway, my goal is to lighten up and eliminate a piece of gear. I have been carrying a 6 or 8 power set of glasses around my neck (right now that is the Vortex Viper 6x32) to use for close in and while moving, a pair of Swarovski 15x56s and a doubler (I am not a big fan of spotting scopes). All are set up to work off the Outdoorsmans Tripod/head/adaptor system.

Normally I would also carry a Leica Rangefinder but if I can combine the neck glass and the rangefinder I can cut the overall weight and lose one piece of gear altoghether. That is a good thing in my book.

I had the opportunity to use the Zeiss and Leica models recently and it was no contest for me. The Leica 8x42 Geovid hands down looked, felt and fit me better than the Zeiss RF. The leicas are also a few ounces lighter than the Zeiss. At a little more than 30 ounces (non-HD) they are about 10 ounces heavier than my current neck glass but again if I go this route there is an overall weight savings and space gain.

Anybody see any flaws in my theory or have any other suggestions?

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

HO,

I dont have them but my buddy WARBIRDUM bought some Geovids. I have looked thru them and tried the ranging and they are great. All I can really tell you is he loves his and never had a problem. I do believe his are 10X? You may want to PM him if you have any questions about them? I think the Geovids are the best out there right now, but if Swaro enters the game I would bet they are very good also. The Leica stuff seems to have always had the edge in rangefinding equipment so they are probably the way to go? Their glass is also as good as the rest.

I have numerous friends who have Leica Geovid?s and they love them... Leica is the original company who coupled binoculars and a laser rangefinder. This was over 10 years ago with the original "Turtle Shell" Geovid.

While attending the Hunters Expo in SLC this winter I spoke to the Zeiss rep about their binocular with a rangefinder in it... He was very proud to tell folks that Zeiss in Germany had hired some of the Leica engineers who designed the Geovid?s to work on Zeiss's rangefinder binocular project. His final comment was, "so you know they (Zeiss's) will be good". I that that was a funny comment...

Leica is the original and the leader... you won't be sorry when you buy the best. NJS

>Only issue is that the Geovid
>is heavy for a neck
>glass.
>
>Wade
>www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I think i solved your problem! If the issue is the added weight on your neck, why dont you try using a bino strap/harness system. The weight of the binocular/rangefinder will ride on your shoulders not your neck making that extra 8 ozs bareable! Very easy to adjust for the layers of clothing you will be wearing. Several different models to choose from Crooked Horn Outfitters (the one i have used for 4 years with my Leicas and love), Badlands, Cabelas, etc.....

Good point. I had planned on using the Crooked Horn anyway. As I run through the numbers again it seems there is no weight savings just a space savings because I would have one less piece of gear to carry.

The combination neck glass of Vortex 6x32 or Swaro 8x32 EL or Leica 8x32HD and Leica CRF 1200 is still lighter overall by a few ounces than the Leica 8x42 Geovid.

Also looking at the Swaro LG 8x30 monocular rangefinder.

I feel like a woman in a shoe store. So many choices. Splitting hairs I know, it is kind of silly but it is what I do.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

>Good point. I had planned
>on using the Crooked Horn
>anyway. As I run
>through the numbers again it
>seems there is no weight
>savings just a space savings
>because I would have one
>less piece of gear to
>carry.
>
>The combination neck glass of Vortex
>6x32 or Swaro 8x32 EL
>or Leica 8x32HD and Leica
>CRF 1200 is still lighter
>overall by a few ounces
>than the Leica 8x42 Geovid.
>
>
>Also looking at the Swaro LG
>8x30 monocular rangefinder.
>
>I feel like a woman in
>a shoe store. So
>many choices. Splitting hairs
>I know, it is kind
>of silly but it is
>what I do.
>
>Wade
>www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Hardcore, another option you can try (if you are happy with the clarity and lighter weight of your current neck optics and want to save some coin), is to purchase the Bino-Shield from Crooked Horn. This add on pouch implemented with the bino-harness, primarily intended to protect the lenses of your optics from dust,rain,snow etc... has a large zippered pocket in the front which you can store the leica CRF 1200's (7.75 oz)comfortably and have both the rangefinder and bino in quick reach. When it comes down to the consistency and accuracy in rangefinding, i believe the CRFs win over the swaro's. I have used both at differnt distances and the swaro's have a much more delayed yardage reading, the operating button seemed a little stiff, and often times wouldnt range at distant yardages where as the leica CRF would. The CRF 1200 has a crisper push button and does give quicker readings.

Wade,

I went through the same optics juggling scenario as you several years ago and ended up with what I think is the best answer out there, the 8x42 geovid. I hunt with them, hard, and they haven't let me down for the last three years or so. I'm always glad I have them. Yes, they are heavy, but with the harness it isn't to bad.

There is one thing that the Zeiss has over the Leica: the button on the right side of the bino. That's a bid deal if you are right handed. If you bow hunt like I do, you have your bow in your left hand and need to quickly glass with the right to range animals. It takes some long fingers and some practice to get the hang of reaching clear across the binos to hit that button. I almost switched to the zeiss for this reason alone. I haven't actually looked through them yet though ( the victory rangefinder) so that might have made me stay in the leica camp regardless. Doug has demos on sale here:
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=524516
He'd let you get both and send back the one you don't like.

Another thing is that leica now has the HD glass in their geovid. Mine are the standard older ones. I haven't compared the two but that can only be a good thing. If you have to pay for them like the rest of us there's some great deals now with the $350 rebate from Leica.

As I've said on other threads here, I recently bought the Zen Rays binos to use when I don't need the RF just to protect the 2k investment. I've used them several times and been very pleased. The geovids stay home unless I plan on hunting or practicing ranging. I think the ZR's glass is just as clear, believe it or not.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-04-09 AT 06:00PM (MST)[p]Can't comment on the Zen Rays yet, mine are on the way. Looking forward though to seeing what all the buzz is about.

Does it bother you at all that there is not a great tripod set up for the Geovids?

Are you sure the new Geovids use the HD glass? There is no HD logo on them. In any event, there is a big difference in color, brightness and contrast between the Zeiss RFs and the Geovids and the Leicas were significantly better for me.

Also thinking about goiing to an 8.5x42 or 10x42 EL, a STS 65 Swaro scope and a Leica LRF1200 but the 42mm Swaros are almost as hevy as the Geoovids.

You don't have any experience with the Zeiss DC4 do you? Wanting to do a simple but effective digiscope set up also.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

The new Geovids do have HD lenses and are $300 more (8x42) than the standard lens geovids which are on sale currently. Just out of curiousity, which of these rangefinder/binoculars (Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski) has the best warranty when it comes to the rangefinder component of the optics.

Wade,

It's true, the tripod adapter for the Leicas is not the greatest. But I usually don't mount them anyway. For long distance stuff I take 15x swaros or a spotting scope. Maybe I should start, just never done it. Whenever the tripod comes with me another set of optics does as well.

I have debated making a switch a handful of times to the leica rangefinder combined with a set of 8-12 or 10-15 duovids. What I reeeallly want is a duovid/geovid. That would be the ultimate for me. But I'm a tinkerer by nature, always looking for something "better" than what I currently have, and the fact that I've stayed with the geovids so long is a testament to how much I like them. It's just so nice to be able to range anything I'm looking at instantly.

The warranty is one drawback for many folks. The geos usually only have a 10 year warranty while the standard leicas have a lifetime I believe. That kind of hitches the electronics of your bino to the glass so that in 12 years if your electronics fail you're SOL. But, that said, I've had a few things in the past where I've dealt with Leica customer service and I've never had a problem. I always go through cameraland anyway and the turn around and service they provide is unequaled. I'm sure doug would help me out if I needed it.

As far as the ZR's go, I've only given them a few real life tests and some porch viewing, and they have been great in that regard. I have yet to sit behind them for multiple hours picking apart side hills. I may change my tune after that but so far it's looking good. Did you order one of the improved set of Zens? They recently added more coatings and a hydrophobic coating. I'm going to pick up the 7x they have pretty quick here.

And scopes - I too was set on the swaro 65 but ended up with the little nikon ED50, and I love it. For my uses it is perfect. So very light! I am also very impressed with the optics. When my spotter is in my pack im almost always going vertical so the weight savings is a huge advantage for me. The slight difference in optics makes it worth the trade off in my case. I'd take the Nikon even if the prices were equal.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-09 AT 09:41PM (MST)[p]I also got the Geovid but no testing yet. Agreed I was sceptic of the 10 year warranty but when it comes down to it they could still fix it for free after 10 years at their option or even if they charged a small fee I would be ok. I'll let you know it 10 years. The main reason I went with the Geovid over any other binocular is I've been using the Leica CRF1200 and it is so awesome. Clear, light weight, and it reads good. I think it is supposed to be the same system inside the Geovids or so I heard. They are not as bulky as I thought they would be. Better make the move while they have the $$$$$$$$$350 rebate$$$$$$$$.

Now, which tripod for them? Slik 613? outdoorsman?
flyingbrass
cold dead hands

The tripod issue is what is making put the brakes on the Geovids. The Outdoorsmans tripod set up with the adaptor and stud is my favorite and that won't fly with the Geovids and I think when you are ranging over a distance, being able to put them on a tripod is important.

Any thoughts on the Leupold Golden Ring 12-40x60 HD scope?

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

outdoorsmans has a specialty geovid adapter. Is this the one you are talking about Hardcore? They are rings around the barrels.
flyingbrass
cold dead hands

The standard type 1/4-20 hinge stud and adaptor plate from the Outdoorsmans is what I really like. Hands down it is the best in the business as far as I am concerned. Although a good approach to the problem, I don't think the rings for the Geovids are as good.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-09 AT 10:45PM (MST)[p]Wade,

I think the Nikon is better optically. The Leupold has a few other advantages. This guy does a good job comparing the two:

http://libertyoptics.blogspot.com/2008/08/super-shootout-compact-spotting-scopes.html

To me what really makes the little Nikon into a great scope was the addition of the bigger/better eyepiece. The reviewer above used the stock eyepiece. I use this one:

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/nikon.pl?page=nikon7465

That gives you 40x in a very clear, very compact package that you'll have no problems taking anywhere. You'll never hesitate throwing it in. It's so dang small and light, you'll love it. I don't even feel like I'm compromising on the optics, they are that good. Smaller objective, yes, but if you hunt like I do, worth it.

Nikon ED50- just over 1 pound, 8 inches long
Leupold Golden ring- about 3 pounds, 12 inches long
Swaro 65- 4 pounds, 16 inches long

So basically I'd go with the Nikon or the Swaro. If you're going Leupold you may as well go Swaro, IMO.

I own both the 15x56 Swaro binos and the 65mm 20-60 Swaro angled spotter. If im going to pack in distances from the trail head i much rather take the swaro spotter because it is only 3 oz heavy then the binos (48 oz). At 20 power and a good fluid head on my tripod i can scan terrain with the spotter that my 10X Leica neck binos cant pick up. If i want to field judge an animal at extreme distances all i have to do is crank the power up all the way to 60 power to really judge horn size. Yeah its a pound or two heavier then the compact spotting scope models to carry but it is more versatile and your going to get a very clear picture at near or distant ranges.

now's a great time to purchase the non-HD BRF's. Cameraland has them on sale for $1799 right now. Add to that the factory rebate of $350 , and it's a no brainer. I just sold my Leica 10x42 BA Trinovids in order to upgrade to the BRF's. I ordered mine today for Doug. woho!

any of them have the true uphill or downhill yardage rangfinder in them.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom