Binoculars for $500 or less

GLEDEASY

This is a topic that has been talked about a lot. I know there are a lot of opinions out there. I was going to get the Vortex Razor 10x50 from Doug at Cameraland but he had sold out, thinking of now getting the 12x. I've read a lot of past threads and saw that the Zen-Ray's a lot of people liked, which would also be cheaper. So, if you had about $500 to spend on some binoculars what would you get? I've been using a cheaper pair of bushnells, so no doubt anything I get will be beyond a step up.

Maybe someone is looking to get rid of a pair of bino's?

Thanks

Razors would be last on my list. In the Vortex line-up, I much prefer the Vipers. If you haven't had a chance, I'd get your hands on a pair of Razors to see for yourself, but to me they're dim, with an overly constricted feeling view. The Zen-Ray's are worth what they cost, but don't kid yourself into thinking you're getting a free lunch.

$500.00 will buy a lot of glass if you're patient and don't be afraid to buy used, just use some common sense. Hard to wrong with Cabela's Euros, Meopta Meostars, Vortex Vipers, Minox HG's, Nikon HG/LX/Premiers, and if you're real lucky, you might even score an older Swarovski SLC, Leica Trinovid, or Zeiss ClassiC.

Thanks for your input Foreman. I've been able to look through both the vipers and the razors, however not at the same sitting. Both have looked fine to me, but like I said I have always used a cheaper pair of bino's. I have heard a few people say they prefer the viper over the razor as well. I noticed that cameraland is having a sale on minox hg's tomorrow. Would you place the Minox over the Zen-Rays? I wish I knew of a place around where I live that sold these where I could go look through them.

I have a pair of ZEN ED binoculars. For about $400, I can totally see myself satisfied with its performance. People like to compare them to Swaroski. But I am sure Swaroski has its edge, which is just not significant to my eyes. I also agree with Foreman, I was not impressed by the Razor HD that I have tried.

So I went with the Minox HG 10x43 from Doug at Cameraland. I'm not so sure what to think about them so far. They are nice; lightweight, focus easy, etc., but I think I was expecting more. I haven't noticed much of a difference from the bushnells I have, other than being brighter at certain settings. I went and compared them to the vortex viper's today at a local store. The minox did seem a little better, but I did like the feel of the vipers better. I've never spent this much on a pair of bino's. I thought I'd be happier with the optical performance by forking out some money, so now I'm debating on whether to send them back or not. Am I expecting too much?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-10 AT 02:18AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-10 AT 02:12?AM (MST)

The minox hg is a good glass at that price point but the one thing it lacks compared to a premium 10x42 is FOV. You might like the Meopta Meostar/cabelas euro better as it is just as bright but has a 330 foot FOV. The ZEN ED2 also has a great FOV.
Another one to consider it the Leupold golden ring HD. It all depends on the deal you can get and money you can spend.

My choice would be the Leupold or Meopta-both are built as well as the German binos.

Catch the Cabelas Euro when it is on sale and the same time Cabela's is sending out those savings/coupon cards.

Cabelas also had the Leupold on sale but they are not listing the 10x42 now just the 8x42 and it is backordered. There is also a $100 rebate from Leupold till December 31.

maybe talk to Cameraland and see they allow you to try both ZEN ED2 and Minox to figure out which one works better for you.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom