Bino Covers!

mlycrzy

Very Active Member
Any suggestions on a good quality binocular cover? I have a pair of Sawarovski 10x42 bino's that I use and abuse and I need something to help keep the dust and scratches off of them. Im more worried about the glass itself than anything else. Thanks!

+1 on Alaskan Guide. Holds my Leika range finger, binos, flashlight, fire starter, compass, survey tape, knife, and probably a few other things I'm not coming up with. Yet it is small enough to be functional.

I'm not familiar with the Alaskan Guide cover (may have to look them up). I will say I LOVE the Badlands cover that I got last year. My binos are the 10x50 Swaros.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Thanks for the suggestions! My buddy has the Badlands bino cover and loves it too. I will definatley check out the Alaskan Guide brand also.

i'll put in my preference for the soft cover style. Have you seen how bulky these other options are? The badlands version is like wearing a piece of sampsonite luggage around your chest! I'm not familiar with the Alaska Guide Creation but it too looks pretty bulky.

The other thing I don't like about some of these systems is that you lose the tension afforded by the traditional harness system (S4 touts this as an advantage, which I don't agree with). a little tension afforded by the straps in my opinion helps keep the binos steady with long hours of glassing.

Here's my vote, they provide sufficient dust and moisture protection, are fast to deploy, and are light weight.

http://www.cabelas.com/optics-harnesses-cabelas-binocular-soft-cover-2.shtml

LAST EDITED ON Jul-24-11 AT 11:40PM (MST)[p]I have the Alaska guide creations for the last 3 years. Its great for keeping your optics clean and protected. I have swaros 10x42 slc. My biggest problem with them is getting my binos out quick. Then when they are out they don't have anything to just let them hang. I love the extra pockets for mouth reeds licenses, windicator, or other miscellaneous items but the lack of anything to let the optics hang hands free sucks. I wanna try something new that will let me access my binos more quickly.
Oh, the Cabelas cover is worthless...it offers hardly any protection. Your optics will be covered in dust, water, mud, you name it!

Traditional >>>------->

LAST EDITED ON Jul-25-11 AT 08:12AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-25-11 AT 08:05?AM (MST)

I had the same problem, but solved it by tying a loop of parachute cord to my binos. That way I can stuff it into the bino case, or put it around my neck. The case shuts just fine with the binos in and the cord around my neck. I also move the snap up above the front pouch, and turned it around. Now when I reach up to unsnap it my finger and thumb fits without fumbling. Now I don't have to unsnap the snap to get into the front pouch. I posted pictures a while back, but I can't remember where. I'll try and find it to let you know. I even sent in suggestions as to my modification, because I knew I wouldn't be the only one that felt the way you do. It was a simple fix, and made a huge difference.
FOUND IT!!!! Go to "Product Review and Service" hit "search at top to page, and type in "Alaskan Bino Pack." Then look at any of the Bucklover posts at the top and scan down to the pictures. Hope this helps.

I also have the AGC bino pouch nad I like it a lot. I am looking into the S4 Lockdown, but I think it will let in dust and water that the AGC will not. I also use parachute cord to tie up my binos so they are still around my neck. I acually had a nice lanyard braided out of parachute cord and it works great with the AGC pouch.

The AGC offers the best protection from all the elements that I have found and it takes me 5 sec or less to get them out of the pouch. I trust my $2,500 binos in this pouch while hunting.

With all that said. The product is the best I have used and the owner is a stud!
I was on the fence about buying them. A few emails between him and I and then a phone call from him as he had a loaded pack on his back ready to head out on a sheep hunt. That's all it took to convince me to give him my money. You don't get customer service like that anywhere anymore!

Traditional >>>------->

I did the parachute-cord trick with my Badlands bino pack, too. Works like a charm. The case is more than what I used to have (former binos) on my chest...but for the price of Swarovski, the best is not too much.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

I have the horn hunter bino hub and it is sweet it doesnt come out of adjustment and unlike the sidewinder s4 it is truly sealed on the whole bino system and you can unbuckle your binos easy unlike the other harnesses. It has 2 magnets for the rangefinder and a bunjie to back it up and unlike the badlands it opens from the top not from the front and seals with the magnet. Ive had mine for three weeks and i love it.

wstrntines and/or anyone else,

Help me understand a little more about the Horn Hunter system.

I have a Badlands system and I love it. It seals very tightly with the magnets. It opens from the front and has bungee attachments inside the pack (not outside where it could get caught or tangled). I love that I can simply drop the Binos if needed and they are tethered to me. I also love that my $2,500 Swarovski Binos are completely protected.

I have tried a number of different options for attaching my Rangefinder to the system from the S4 tether system to the Range Snap system and when it comes right down to it the most effective and easily accesible system I have seen (that protects the finder from the elements as well) is the Badlands Rangefinder Pouch. It simply attaches to the strap of the Bino system and I have everything I need at my fingertips. It's out of the way and pretty compact from what I have seen.

I looked at the Horn Hunter system and my concerns were how the top didn't seem to seal completely and could let the elements and dust in. I also didn't like the way the rangefinder attached to the case. Seems to me the magnetic case the finder goes in would be in the way of my buttons on the finder?

S4 definitely would let the elements get to the Bino and your still left with the question of how to attach your rangefinder.

So I guess I am just wanting to hear your take on how the Horn Hunter system addresses my concerns!

I have had a hard time finding anything better than the Badlands system.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom